I Don't Get Yoga

Options

Replies

• jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I had always done yoga through DVD's and Yourself Fitness game up until last week. Last Monday I tried Bikram, which is a heated yoga and it was completely different. Obviously, I was sweating since the room is heated to 105. I really felt more energized afterwards too. Maybe because it was also a group activity or because there were people from every fitness level there, but it was more of a group bonding experience too. I really don't think I'll go back to just DVD's again. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Yoga makes me want to commit violent murder.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Most of it is for the purposes of engaging your body mind and spirit and living in a more mindful and present manner.

See, this is what I mean! So before yoga, my body/mind/spirit are NOT engaged? Engaged in, uh, what? Living in a present manner? As if I was living somewhere ELSE before? What does that even mean?? I'm pretty sure someone made that up, because it makes no sense at all, lol. Anyone who's seen "I Heart Huckabees" can maybe relate to how I feel about nonsense Confucio-talk like that. (No personal offense, poster)

"Confucio-talk?" Did that really just happen?

I don't think you posted for help or advice- it's pretty clear that you just wanted some yeasayers on your side to validate your opinion. You sound incredibly ignorant and fearful of what you don't understand.

I'm not going to urge you to try anything nor will I mindlessly agree with you. There are many different types of yoga with varying levels of intensity, but you'd know that if you were actually open to learning about something you just 'don't get.' Don't do it if you don't want to.

Edit: To be clear, not liking yoga is not the end of world. Talking sh** about it under the pretense of asking for advice is ridiculous and transparent.

oo insightful. :flowerforyou:

Blunt - but possibly spot on :smile: .
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

possibly spending too much time up-side-down! :devil:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

possibly spending too much time up-side-down! :devil:

LOL nah I just think it's very stress-inducing.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Love how in one breath people are arguing that yoga is just a stretching/relaxation method and in another they are talking about the spiritual aspect of it.

Either it's a spiritual practice or it's a fitness thing. I don't think it can be both.

Heh.

But, OP, I'm with you. I don't care for yoga. It does nothing for me, bores the crap out of me and just in general is annoying. If I want to meditate, I pray. I'm not Hindu so I don't use Hindu practices to bring my spirit into alignment???
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've only ever done it through videos (Yoga X was my intro). I don't really get into the somewhat religious aspect, but the meditative part does come easy for me, I can zone out and push beyond pain without issue.

To me yoga is a comprehensive balance, coordination, mobility, and flexibility system that really adds to an overall program of strength training and cardio. I always do a difficulty that I find challenging and challenge myself. Benefits come from being continuously challenged.

I like videos personally, after a few times doing it the video really is more of a timing cue than anything, and a quick form reference if needed. That way I can zone out while doing it, much like running the same course I've run dozens of times.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Love how in one breath people are arguing that yoga is just a stretching/relaxation method and in another they are talking about the spiritual aspect of it.

Either it's a spiritual practice or it's a fitness thing. I don't think it can be both.

Heh.

But, OP, I'm with you. I don't care for yoga. It does nothing for me, bores the crap out of me and just in general is annoying. If I want to meditate, I pray. I'm not Hindu so I don't use Hindu practices to bring my spirit into alignment???

Hi penrbrown. I don't think it is hypocritical to argue that yoga is a stretching/relaxation method and in the next breath say it can be a spiritual pursuit; you can have strawberries AND cream.

I believe that yoga was originally devised to make it easier for people to sit comfortably while meditating and that is relevant today. It was possibly also a lot more physically demanding than a lot of classes we find today. One has only to scan the photographs in "Light on Yoga" where Iyengar is shown holding advanced poses to know that one has to be incredibly flexible, balanced, determined and physically strong to work towards and hold such advanced postures. That physical ability is a transferable skill to more spiritual pursuits if the practitioner wants to apply themselves in that direction. Of course, you don't have to.

Having said all, if It (yoga) does nothing for you, bores the crap out of you and just in general is annoying to you - the solution is simple.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love Thich Nhat Hanh.

Me too. You can friend him on Facebook you know and get updates on his talks and so on. Amazing man, I'd love to meet him.

I've met him!! He is such an incredibly compassionate person. Really amazing how he understands suffering first hand and understands people. His writing has helped me so much in my life! He is grounded and down to earth. He is so humble.

p.s. Hey, everybody, I am loving reading all your responses. Anyone can friend me!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Heh.

I think all forms of exercise whether yoga or running or whatever can be spiritual as well as a fitness thing. Healthy mind healthy body.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I recommend Tai Chi Chuan or active Yoga. I saw some people call the Yoga something else...either way, there is regular Yoga for relaxing and stretching, and then there is a more active version. Tai Chi Chuan is much better, BUT, good luck finding places that teach it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Either it's a spiritual practice or it's a fitness thing. I don't think it can be both................

It can definitely be both. I don't practice Yoga myself, but a very good friend of mine is into it for both the spiritual aspect as well as the fitness aspect. She practices religiously and has taken trips to practice in India with a hindu yogi up in the mountains somewhere.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Either it's a spiritual practice or it's a fitness thing. I don't think it can be both................

It can definitely be both. I don't practice Yoga myself, but a very good friend of mine is into it for both the spiritual aspect as well as the fitness aspect. She practices religiously and has taken trips to practice in India with a hindu yogi up in the mountains somewhere.

It is both if you want it to be. This is true in Yoga, as well as most martial arts.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few yoga dvds and have been to a class or two, and...I don't get it. Wtf is the appeal, if any? I always did everything exactly like the instructors said, and I barely broke a sweat, wasn't sore or tired afterwards, and just found myself rolling my eyes and sighing the whole time just because it was so d*mn BORING!

Does anyone else feel this way? I'd like to tone and lean out and get more flexible, which they say yoga is great for, but can anyone else NOT STAND it? I've never been more bored in my life! Are there other types of yoga I could try that are, like, fun? Or at least not make me want to shoot myself in the face?

I personally love yoga, but I've tried out different instructors to find one I like. I use it for flexibility and to help my muscles from staying so sore. The class I go to does a lot of poses that cause you to hold your body weight in positions, so I have been sore a few times. (Of course not as sore as if I were to do an HIIT workout) I go to yoga after my main workouts anyways though so it works for me.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I tried taking a class a few times but they kicked me out :) I had issues spreading my toes and well trouble with giggling when I'd fall over or when they'd tell me to touch my navel to my spine. Yes I'm a child :blushing:
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't go to yoga to sweat. It has metaphysical and relaxation benefits for me, and is great strength training for my muscles. If you're looking for a hard calorie burner you're in the wrong place. It can also depend on your instructor. My Bikram yoga class was kind of blah but I fell in love with Vinyasa yoga.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not crazy about yoga either, I started doing it many many years ago when I suffered greatly from a herniated disk in my back that was pressing on a couple of nerves in my legs. Yoga made the pain go away without having surgery, which at the time was only a 50% chance would correct my problem. Yoga, 100% corrected my problem.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There's a yoga class I take at my local Krav gym. It's designed to compliment self-defense, and I've never walked out without breaking a sweat.

I also want to mention that form and breath are probably as important in yoga as they are in weightlifting. You're not doing yourself any good if your form's poor and you're not sinking into the stretch - and you need a good instructor to spot those things. When your form's right, you're controlling your breath, and pushing yourself, it becomes significantly more challenging.

That said, if you don't like it, then you don't like it. I've found it to be a great way to compliment the rest of my routine, but it's not for everybody.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I tried taking a class a few times but they kicked me out :) I had issues spreading my toes and well trouble with giggling when I'd fall over or when they'd tell me to touch my navel to my spine. Yes I'm a child :blushing:

What?!?!? They kicked you out of class? Have you tried Anusara, they love to laugh in those classes.