Mio?

Options
1235»

Replies

• harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to put additional chemicals in my water ....

Plain filtered tap water for me : )

If you must have some type of flavor - how about putting fruit in a pitcher with your water and let the flavors infuse ?

tap water is full of hormones, chlorine, and flouride. Good luck with that.

NOTE: I said additional chemicals

Filtered water. FYI .. Most bottled water is filtered tap water. I prefer to filter my own. In our day and age ..gotta do the best we can do! I'd love to have access to virgin water from a flowing spring ... but I don't. : ( Certainly not going to add MIO or any other chemical sludge.

Peace

Do you put it through RO/DI or just a silly little carbon filter? (which mostly just reduces odor.)

No silly carbon filters
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

If you must have some type of flavor - how about putting fruit in a pitcher with your water and let the flavors infuse ?

Filtered water. FYI .. Most bottled water is filtered tap water. I prefer to filter my own. In our day and age ..gotta do the best we can do! I'd love to have access to virgin water from a flowing spring ... but I don't. : ( Certainly not going to add MIO or any other chemical sludge.

Peace

Do you put it through RO/DI or just a silly little carbon filter? (which mostly just reduces odor.)

No silly carbon filters

How do you avoid inhaling toxic chemicals when walking near a roadway?
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Does anyone use Mio? I use it pretty frequently, but I'm wondering if I'm still getting the same health benefits as drinking plain water, or if I'm counteracting it. Has anyone heard any studies on it, noticed results, etc.?
    If you put anything in your water that isn't plan water, it reacts chemically with the water so that it's no longer water. I'm surprised you haven't shriveled up and died yet from dehydration.

A summa cum laude college chemistry major said so last week on this here very site, so I know it's true.
    Haha, I was referring to the process of making tea. Boiling water increases the speed of the molecules in water, hence that's how steam is made. When adding tea, the leaves of course release chemicals which bind to or take away from water molecules. But any who, Mio is good, unless you're trying to stay away from unneccisary chemicals. The propylene glycol will actually make you thirstier, and used to make polyester, " Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage."(natural-health-information-center.com)
    "Like ethylene glycol, propylene glycol is able to lower the melting point of water, and so it is used as aircraft de-icing fluid.[4][7] It is similarly used as automotive antifreeze.[8]" (wikipedia)

Propylene glycol is an ingredient in the oil dispersant Corexit, used in great quantities during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill[9][10]

[edit] Safety. But go ahead, I'm sure it's not that bad. Water, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Malic Acid, Contains Less than 2% of Natural Flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium Citrate, Red 40, Blue 1, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative).

What are you getting here? Propylene Glycol is a clear and slightly bitter liquid that is used to prevent discoloration of foods during storage. It has been shown to cause various diseases in animal studies when consumed in large quantities.

Acesulfame Potassium is a fake sweetener that is potentially carcinogenic.

“Natural Flavor” with fake colors to cause you to imagine the berries depicted on the package. Unfortunately those artificial colors may cause cancer and hyperactivity too.

Last but not least, potassium sorbate is a mold inhibitor – it allows this product to sit on a shelf for months.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Peace

No silly carbon filters

How do you avoid inhaling toxic chemicals when walking near a roadway?

Now we r just getting silly ... I wear my hazmat suit made from recycled MIO bottles ...but of course!!
  • portwein
    portwein Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Too many dyes. I steer clear of these types of drinks.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I thought Mio was disgusting when I tried it, I got the sweet tea kind. Instead I just make fresh tea & put stevia in it lol
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options

The 3rd ingredient listed on there, Propylene glycol, is anti-freeze. And that's why I don't use it anymore.

anti-freeze is really expensive. Can I just squirt Mio into my car?
    bahaha
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It also contains iocane powder, which is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man.

You.

Are awesome.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Does anyone use Mio? I use it pretty frequently, but I'm wondering if I'm still getting the same health benefits as drinking plain water, or if I'm counteracting it. Has anyone heard any studies on it, noticed results, etc.?
    If you put anything in your water that isn't plan water, it reacts chemically with the water so that it's no longer water. I'm surprised you haven't shriveled up and died yet from dehydration.

A summa cum laude college chemistry major said so last week on this here very site, so I know it's true.
    Haha, I was referring to the process of making tea. Boiling water increases the speed of the molecules in water, hence that's how steam is made. When adding tea, the leaves of course release chemicals which bind to or take away from water molecules. But any who, Mio is good, unless you're trying to stay away from unneccisary chemicals. The propylene glycol will actually make you thirstier, and used to make polyester, " Propylene Glycol

A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin and hair, propylene glycol works as a humescent, which causes retention of moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. The Material Safety Data Sheet warns users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage."(natural-health-information-center.com)

So ... adding Mio to your water allows it to remain water, but adding tea makes it not water anymore?

You're just too darn smart for me.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It also contains iocane powder, which is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man.

You.

Are awesome.
    I second that!

Obviously far too many people around here get their information from the internet and think the ability to Google makes them all smart like and stuff. OMG, one of the ingredients is similar to something toxic! *panic* Yea, and carbon diooxide that you spew into the air with every exhalation is similar to carbon monoxide that will kill you. Similar doesn't count for poop when it comes to chemistry. Hell, water itself is chemically similar to hydrogen peroxide which is used to clean wounds but I'd recommend against injesting in large quantities. Water is also used to make all of the bad things listed here. So by the logic of some of this site's geniuses water = bad.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    "It also contains iocane powder, which is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquid, and is among the more deadly poisons known to man."

A Hazmat Suit made of Mio bottles???....

and "anti-freeze is really expensive. Can I just squirt Mio into my car? "

OMG.... I'm seriously dying of laughter!!!! ROLFMAO! I love you guys. You're killing me!!!
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    While I do appreciate all the posts, just a quick reminder...arsenic is completely natural, too. So just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good for you. I'll go with the most realistic answer here and use it in moderation. Thank you everyone!
    Even arsenic is OK in small doses.

Okay... but, umm... how does it taste? <g>
  • rml_16
    Options
    While I do appreciate all the posts, just a quick reminder...arsenic is completely natural, too. So just because something is natural, doesn't mean it's good for you. I'll go with the most realistic answer here and use it in moderation. Thank you everyone!
    Even arsenic is OK in small doses.

Okay... but, umm... how does it taste? <g>

I'll eat an apple seed later and let you know. ;-)
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    Just going to say that Mio mixed with Leucine and creatine has prevented a lot of catabolism during my morning fasts. Its helped me get jacked and lift a lot of big weight.

Plus my blood doesnt freeze when its cold here do to the anti-freeze coursing through my veins.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The 3rd ingredient listed on there, Propylene glycol, is anti-freeze. And that's why I don't use it anymore.
    Salt is an anti-freeze too. Did you give that up?
    Alcohol is an anti-freeze too. No beer, wine or sprits for you then.

Don't eat any beef because virtually all cattle are fed Propylene glycol.

I just realized that I pay lots of extra $$$$ to put enviromentally safe propylene glycol in my homes heating system (so the pipes in the attic won't freeze if we are without electricity for a long period of time) . But since you all consider it POISON , I should just save and pay 1/10 the price for ethylene glycol.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    It's in my medicine cabinet, because of the laxative effect it has on me. I highly recommend it if you're low on fiber. Cheers!:drinker:
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    BTW, Dasani also has flavored water drops and I just recently discovered their "coconut pineapple" flavor. It is totally yum and makes drinking water like enjoying a nice pina colada. <g>