Biggest Loser - Kid's edition

124»

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    From what I saw, the kids will not have any of the same competition sort of stuff or "boot camp" style yelling. Nor will they be weighed. It will be about "fun" activities/exercise and learning how to eat right.

Hmmm that will make for bad TV drama slow, realistic weight loss goals. Wont make it.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    From what I saw, the kids will not have any of the same competition sort of stuff or "boot camp" style yelling. Nor will they be weighed. It will be about "fun" activities/exercise and learning how to eat right.

Hmmm that will make for bad TV drama slow, realistic weight loss goals. Wont make it.

Its teenagers- they are programmed with constant drama. There will be plenty without any instigation from the show I'm certain.
  • That's disgusting.
    Pray, tell. What aspect of this new show is disgusting?

Maybe she's talking about my gunt? :sad:

*Wipes coffee off monitor*

Can I log it as water since I spit it out?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    That's disgusting.
    Pray, tell. What aspect of this new show is disgusting?

Let's not forget what the motivation is behind any major network TV show...ratings and $$$. Exploiting children to make a buck is disgusting no matter how you look at it.

^^^ Yes, this, thank you!

Yes, of course there will be ratings involved. However, lets all be a little less cynical and maybe look at it as education. Too many children are overweight and obese - many of the children and parents are sitting on front of the TV. Even if it opens the eyes to a small percentage of people watching saying "hmmm, maybe we should do somethign" then it was worth it.

I would hope the producers and people involved in this show understand that a childs weight and weight loss needs a different approach than an adult. And if they are making the necessary adjustments to the show to cater to the children - this could be a very good show!!

I recognize your point and even agree that it is valid. However, my cynicism stems from the idea that "reality" TV is even remotely related to reality. Everything about these shows is highly manipulated, from the actions of the contestants right down to the editing. At least adults are capable of understanding the position they are putting themselves in when they sign up for these shows. Children are not.
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    After reading what some of the contestants have gone through in this show, it's disturbing that there's a kids edition now

Not as disturbing as being an Ottawa Senators fan. :tongue:

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I've been inspired by some of the contestants on the show and their lives that I have followed after TBL. Sure there are a few that have had bad experiences and some that have gained the weight back. But that's the same as in real life. Not everyone on MFP will lose their weight and keep it off.

Bottom line is that it's TV, and really it's no different than The Bachelor, or Survivor or Big Brother. If it encourages people to eat healthy and exercise, especially youth in America and Canada with extremely high obesity rates, where is the harm??

Just my OP. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

How dare you insult my Sens!!! :explode: :laugh:

I hope they do it differently for the kids but reading from one of the contestants that they would be dehydrated and almost tortured to show progress scares me not to forget that some have been left with eating disorders for long after the show which I don't think is what we want to inspire kids to follow. Again, maybe they do have a different plan for the kids and hopefully the parents are very involved in the process.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    After reading what some of the contestants have gone through in this show, it's disturbing that there's a kids edition now

Not as disturbing as being an Ottawa Senators fan. :tongue:

I personally don't see anything wrong with it. I've been inspired by some of the contestants on the show and their lives that I have followed after TBL. Sure there are a few that have had bad experiences and some that have gained the weight back. But that's the same as in real life. Not everyone on MFP will lose their weight and keep it off.

Bottom line is that it's TV, and really it's no different than The Bachelor, or Survivor or Big Brother. If it encourages people to eat healthy and exercise, especially youth in America and Canada with extremely high obesity rates, where is the harm??

Just my OP. :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

How dare you insult my Sens!!! :explode: :laugh:

I hope they do it differently for the kids but reading from one of the contestants that they would be dehydrated and almost tortured to show progress scares me not to forget that some have been left with eating disorders for long after the show which I don't think is what we want to inspire kids to follow. Again, maybe they do have a different plan for the kids and hopefully the parents are very involved in the process.

If you would scroll through this thread again, someone posted that YES, they WILL be treating the teens differently and not subject them to elimination or to the same strains as the adults.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    D'you think this was a thing to tempt Jillian back? She's pretty open about having been overweight as a teen and how having positive role models (martial arts) then and therapy (to get over her parent's divorce/deal with anger issues to her father) changed her life forever in her teens. Maybe some kind of "intervene at the same time as someone helped me" sort of thing. She did do that short lived spin off about whole families for a bit.

And I don't think the reality element is necessarily the harmful thing- there have been plenty of messed up child stars who sang/danced/acted (off the top of my head, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Lilo, Macauley Culkin). I think that much pressure, attention and intensity young can put anyone off the rails, weight problem and emotional issues or not.

I heard that she wouldn't come back unless they address the issue of obesity in children and teens in America as part of the show. She did have her own show for a while where she went into homes and communities to try and help entire families, but I don't think the ratings were there for them to continue it. Good intentions but like another OP said, it's about ratings and dollars as well as making people healthier.

Looking forward to the new season January 6th on NBC!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    no no no no no no!!!!