Any runners who were not good runners before?

Options
I've always wanted to get into running, but I suck at it. Even being in sports all my life, running a mile I thought I was going to die.

Now even running 1/2 a mile on a treadmil I feel like I'm going to die. lol. They say slowly work yourself up, but does that really happen?

Anyone like me that turned out to be a long distance runner??

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had never really run a day in my life until last spring. Then I did couch to 5k and now I'm training for a half marathon. Don't give up!!! You can do it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not a real "distance" runner ... longest I've ever run was about 10 miles, but I run between 3-6+ miles about three times a week.

Up until two years ago, I hated running and never ran at all. The most I could go was about 10th of a mile. I started with Couch to 5k and kept going.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts out that way.

I could only run for 1 sorry minute at a time when I started. Like all beginners, I thought I was going to die.

Now, I train for a half once a year.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people starting out not being very successful. I was active before I started running, but it took me a long time to actually like it, and that is what I would credit for my success (I ran my first half marathon this year). For me, one day I just liked it, the farther I went I liked it more and more, and now I can honestly say "I LOVE RUNNING!"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE hates it at first. The only people that have always loved it played sports as a kid and never quit, or are liars. And even the sport-as-kids people (myself included) generally have an injury or life circumstance that puts them out of the game for a while, and hates it at first when they get back to it.

There's no reason to sugarcoat the facts- it's hard as *kitten* when you start. You have to push yourself through it, and every fiber of your body will scream "QUIT!", but you WILL get past that with determination. And then you'll feel an unbelievable sense of accomplishment, worth every miserable mile. Even once you get past the hurdle, you'll have occasional bad days....but they end up making the good ones feel THAT much more awesome. Just keep at it, and you will get past the hurdle. I promise, cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.

I would try C25k. I've never tried it, but I have heard wonderful things from people like yourself. Now lace up and get going! :drinker:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I used to run..about 15 years ago. then I started smoking and hadn't run to the corner until I quit smoking about 3 months ago. I started with a terrible, labored breathing mile, which I had to stop to walk during. Mind you, this was not what one would call "running" it was a jog at best. Over the course of 3 months I have bumped it up to about 4 miles on my longest run. I expect I could go further but...i don't have the time or desire after that.

The fitter you get, the stronger your lungs get, the more you will progress. and yes, you WILL progress. I haven't yet mastered the "running faster" thing, but run longer, i can do. :) and you will, too.
  • zx0810r
    zx0810r Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not going to become a runner unless you go out there and run.

Run as far as you can then run further, then next time beat that distance. Control your breathing. One day it will click and you will realize you can keep going.
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts. I am also looking to start running. I am thinking of signing up for a 5K in March, but want to wait until the end of January just make sure I'm alive by then! It's a bit scary but exciting at the same time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I love / hate running.
    I was once a bad cross country runner. The only thing I like about it it that it gets me out and I see beautiful landscapes - yesterday I got to run aroun some 17th century fortifications.

I used to run a lot. Then it fell apart. The Couch to 5k program was great, t got me going again, then a 5 to 10 km program, I'm past 10 km but use it for training for a half marathon in a few months.

I still suck, but I go further each week.

Have fun, hope you find your sweet spot.

Eta: What I found yesterday

Lille_Citadel_LowRES.jpeg
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I was 42 lbs over weight I decided "I'll be a runner" and off to the high school track I went. I could barely do one lap without gasping for air, with a beet red face and wanting to unzip my chest so I could breathe!
    It sucked, I hated it and to top it off, I got shin splints the next day.
    I figured, that's that, I can't run.
    However, my daughter told me with the Vibram Five Finger shoes, I wouldn't get shin splints. OH I doubted this of course, but she had a pair so I borrowed them and she was right. No more shin splints so I started running and trying to slowly increase my distances. About 4 months into really trying to build up my stamina, I ran my first 5K. I didn't get to totally run the whole thing, I tried, I did, but I admit, I had to walk "some"... but I did finish it in about 37 mins.
    Now I can run 14 laps, that is 3.5 miles so it will come to you, if you persist.

Dalen
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have never, ever considered myself a strong runner. I used to get excused from running the mile in jr high school because of "athletically induced asthma." Fast forward 20+ years and now I've completed a handfull of half marathons and will start training for a full marathon in January (race is in May).

Start with a C25K program and you'll be on your way in no time. What has helped me tremedously is doing intervals and gradually making my running intervals longer and longer.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I ran in my 20s. Til my knees started aching all the time.

Now, at 47 I started running, slowly, short distances, on a lark last year.

I now run 3-6 miles a few times a week. Usually around 20 miles a week.

Outside in good enough weather, inside when the weather stinks, or my time is short (ie, I'll run on the treadmill at work).

Not sure why I started running again. It just felt right.
    I did a lot of HiiT training in the beginning. That seemed to help.
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running until I starting tracking food and burn. The calorie burn for running is seriously second to none. And since I like to eat, I learned to like to running.

I am now up to about 20 miles a week, usually 2 or 3 every other day during the week and five miles a day each weekend day.

Went from a chunky 245 to a lean 175.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner before. I avoided physical activity like a disease when I was in high school. I only started seriously running about a half ago. By the end of this year, I will have done 26 races, in 2012 alone, including several halfs, a 14 and a 16 mile trail run. I'm not fast, but I run, and I get faster. You have to start out somewhere!! Good luck!! You will become a runner!!
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    yup! when I tried running two years ago I had to stop every ten minutes to catch my breath, so eventually I stopped.
    I started again last April because a friend convinced me to run with him, and I've been running regularly ever since.
    The furthest I've done is 13.2 miles, and I usually do around 5-7 miles a day now with no problem whatsoever.

So basically, all I've done is to run with somebody who was better than me. It's so motivating, and so rewarding!
    Just start slow! I know usually people say to run for a while, take a walking break, and then run again. I actually never did that though. Just run very slowly, concentrate on breathing the right way, and you'll get better every day!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was in ICU with congestive heart failure. I started to walk and it took me a year to do C25K. I have run a few 10ks and a 1/2 marathon. You can do it. I suggest joining a running club if there is one locally. At the very least get GOOD shoes fitted by a running store.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to get into running, but I suck at it. Even being in sports all my life, running a mile I thought I was going to die.

Now even running 1/2 a mile on a treadmil I feel like I'm going to die. lol. They say slowly work yourself up, but does that really happen?

Anyone like me that turned out to be a long distance runner??

there are a LOT of folks who started off life as being the least likely people to become distance runners but become very accomplished runners indeed...me included!!

The couch to 5k program will take you exactly where you want to go. Once you can run 5k/3.1 miles, it's up to you to go for 10k and beyond our just run for the sheer joy of it. I went from 260 lbs and unable to run for a bus to training for my first marathon inside of 8 months.

P.S: Get fitted for the RIGHT shoes to suit your running gait..this is incredibly important!
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went from not being able to run a mile (actually, not even being able to run around a city block without stopping to walk) to running a semi-respectable marathon (just under 4:30) in the period of 1 year. If I can do it, anyone can. My advice to anyone who says they "can't run" is to slow down.

I recommend John Bingham's books. I used Marathoning for Mortals to train.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, and I know you heard this a millions times before probably but make sure to

x) wear the right shoes
    x) hydrate plenty before/after
    x) wear something you're comfortable in.
    x) STRETCH!
    x) I listen to music when running outside, and watch shows when on the treadmill. it's super distracting,
    and if you run at an easy pace, I bet you that you'll do 5k without even noticing it.

some of these are pretty obvious, but they're all crucial and will definitely help you in becoming a better runner:)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Almost no one was a good runner fresh out of the gate. If you want to run, go run. You'll get better at it, I promise. Not only am I a terrible runner, I hate it. It's boring to me and works in opposition to my fitness goals. But I can run 10 miles without stopping right now at a decent pace. How? Because I started running. I couldn't run to the end of the block without stopping a few months ago. But time, determination and persistence are the ingredients that all accomplishments are made from. I have a race coming up in February, and I don't let lack of ability get in the way of my goals.

So if you want to be a runner, go run. If you don't, don't blame it on some mystical ability to run that you weren't born with.