Any runners who were not good runners before?

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
    When I first starting running -- just to run, not sports -- I ran around my small apartment complex, once, and then returned huffing and gasping. Things did not improve for weeks.
    But then . . . . somewhere along the line, I went a little further, and it was a little easier, and I have been going as best I can ever since. And, I have no regrets. Best thing I ever did.
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Happened to me, too. I couldn't run the mile in High School, but I can happily bust out 3-4 now at a moderate pace - and I don't run more than once a week. It really is something you have to build up to, but your body really does adapt.

The trick for me was to be forgiving enough that I didn't dread doing it. Even if I could only do three minutes at a time, I was going to do those three minutes and be proud of the accomplishment. And then I'd try to hold on just a little longer next time. When I realized I didn't have to [read: couldn't] just jump in and run ten miles in a stretch, it was easier to build up and start enjoying my progress.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was never very good at running. Even in elementary school, I couldn't run a mile. My endurance was pathetic.

When I started getting in shape last December, I noticed how many people used running as a great calorie burner. I knew I couldn't jump into being a runner, but at least I wanted to try. I did a lot of treadmill walking at higher speeds, and then progressed to C25K. That got me running 30 minutes at a time, at a slow pace. Now, i'm able to run 40 minutes at a time, at about 4.2mph on the treadmill. It's not fast, but I'm getting there!

If you stick with it, and endure the burning in your chest and your legs, and try to control your breathing patterns, it will get better. The first several weeks are REALLY rough, but then your body starts to adjust and it slowly becomes a bit easier!

Give it a try!!!
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I was never really a runner (it always bothered my knees). I was active and have friends who'd run 5ks so I had done a bunch of them but never figured myself for a distance runner. I started getting into triathlons and decided to do an olympic distance last year - this required that I run a 10K. I figured the one and only 10K i'd ever run would be for that triathlon. As I trained, I built up my distance and actually ended up running 10k a couple of times. Then this fall, I decided I wanted to do a half marathon so I signed up for one in February. My knees are not great but I find with lots of stretching, lots of foam rollering and some strength training they are actually feeling ok. I'm not fast but every week I go a bit further. You can do it!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend the C25K. After completing the program I now run 3 times a week, usually between 5 and 10K each time. I'm working on reducing my times for both and enjoying the challenge.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good shoes..go to a running store and get fitted...run/walk method if you are just starting out or try Couch or 5k (C25K)

Never increase running distance by more than 10% a week and listen to your body.

Yes, I used to hate running. Now I hate injuries that prevent me from running.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was the same way a year ago... Couldn't run for beans! A couple weeks ago I ran a 17.2km race and I actually liked it! I would echo a lot of these people in suggesting Couch to 5K but also suggest you get off the treadmill. Go outside.. Treadmills are terribly boring and just being able to see your time flashing before your eyes makes it so slow going. Get a good running app, some good music, some warm clothes (or not depending where you live) and go outside! You'll be a runner in no time!
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a long distance runner but I can now run 5 miles - most days without a walk break. I'm not fast either; I usually run somewhere between 10 and 11 minute miles. When I started in July I could run maybe 200 feet or so before my first walk break-and I would be so sore after 2 miles that it would be 4 or 5 days before I could run again. Somewhere in those early days I had to take a break for almost two weeks due to soreness.

My training plan was pretty simple - I tried to run 2 or 3 times a week depending on how I felt. I started with 2 miles as my distance and ran for as long as I could, then walked to catch my breath etc., run again...repeat. So, it's taken about 6 months but I would now consider myself a runner. I've completed two 5 k events and have a 5 mile trail run coming up this Spring. Thinking about a 10k too!
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I HATED running. Hate, hate, hate. And I think I hated it because I couldn't do it. And that's what motivated me to do it. Why can these other people be runners and I can't? Why can't I be the beautiful, strong woman jogging on the sidewalk, or the Facebook friend to post pictures after all of my races?

So, a little under 2 months ago, I started the C25k program. When I started, I had to really push myself to finish a minute at a very slow pace. Today, using that program, I ran (sloooowwwwly) 20 minutes straight. Me. The over weight asthmatic ran for 20 minutes straight. This is a miracle and this program works. The great part about the program is it is about endurance, not speed. Speed will come in time.

Don't get me wrong. It is hard work. And you are going to feel like you want to quit nearly every single time you run. Just don't quit. Force yourself to get out there for every run. You have to force yourself and not give yourself the option. If you want to stop or give up in the middle of a run, don't. Do exactly what the program tells you to do every single workout day. I use the Zen Labs app for my phone. It is tells you out loud when to run and walk.

I seriously recommend this program. I am not a "good" runner in any sense of the word (13 minutes miles when I try HARD), but I am doing it, I enjoy it, and I get better each time.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I ran track, if you can call it that, in middle school. I was a hurdler--only ever had to run 60 or 100 yards at a time. (Yards--that should give you some idea of how old I am!)

I've been physically active for a while--I cycle, I snow ski, I swim, I walk, I do the elliptical. Never running.

In the spring my son had a parents/kids lacrosse game and I thought I was going to die from the running. Right then and there I set a goal to run a 2 mile race over the summer with my son.

I started out with a Couch 2 5K program that I found online, but found it a little bit easy, so I embellished on my own. I started out running pretty slow on the treadmill at the gym and at the high school track, usually about 6 mph. I actually fell off the treadmill at the gym once--luckily it was late so not many people were there to see it.

I ran my race over the July Fourth holiday--2 miles in 19:06 in 85 degree heat. But I finished!

I haven't looked back since then. I ran a 5k in October--finished in a bit over 26 minutes.

I love running now--it's made my weight loss so easy. It gives me time to clear my mind. I get crabby if I don't run! I've actually just returned from the gym where I ran 4 miles in 32 minutes. Yep, 7.5 mph. I figure if I can get to a steady 8 mph I can win a gold medal in my age group in the July Fourth race next summer--that's one of my goals. The other is to participate in a sprint triathlon!

Keep with it--it should become easier with time!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run half a block when I started. It has taken me over a year to work up to and past a mile. Slow down, take walk breaks, push hard and it will come with time. Some time after the year mark my body adjusted and now I feel like I could run forever (slowly).
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I could never run and hated to do it - mainly because I sucked at it. My husband was always into running and would try and encourage me to run with him but I would refuse. Then I came across the Couch to 5k program about a year and a half ago and started doing that while my husband was on deployment. Once I realized that I really could run, I started to enoy running more. It was a love/hate relationship for the first 6 months or so, but now I truly do love going for runs. The key for me, was getting off the treadmill. After I finished the Couch to 5k, I found a 10k training program and started to do that with my husband. We've long since finished that but still try to keep a 5 to 6 mile run in at least once a week and run 3 miles at least two to three times per week.
  • krusert
    Options
    I had always wanted to be a "runner" but never thought I was cut out for it... In the Spring I bought an App called Run Trainer and started from scratch: run one minute, walk one minute, for a whopping 18 minutes total. After a few months of working my way up on the program, I was up to running 45 minutes straight, no problem!! Since then I've switched to just recording my runs on MapMyRun and it's a great way to stay motivated. Running isn't super easy, but stay committed to it and you'll LOVE it. Have fun!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I started running a little over a year ago. Prior to that I had hated it my whole life. I had tried to like it but just couldn't. I started a couch to 5K like program that I finished on January 1 of this year. Since then I have run five 5Ks, two 10Ks and a half marathon. I'm running a zombie mud run this Saturday and am signed up for another half marathon in February. I absolutely love running and hate it when something keeps me from being able to do it.

Ease into it. It shouldn't hurt too bad when you're just starting out. If you still hate it, don't do it. There's no law that says you have to run.

ETA: I'm still not a "good" runner but I love to do it.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started and stopped running more times than I can count. I stopped because I didn't see progress. I was trying to do too much too soon. Once I slowed down and realized it was ok to be slow, I was able to improve my distance. Once I started to see improvements, that's all it took to keep me going. I started out running two minutes at a time. I'm currently up to 45 minutes at a time and hope to do a 10K in the spring. I also find the first 15 minutes of running the hardest. Once I push through that, its easier to keep going.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 5k right now with c25k and its a lot of fun! When I first started running I got shin splints all the time. The cure is to GET GOOD SHOES! I went to Fleet feet and they really hooked me up :)
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    ME! I am NOT a natural runner. As a matter of fact my chiropractor recommended against me running because of the impact on my neck and spine. I don't run very fast, so the lift off of the ground was not long enough for my spine to expand and re-set, so my neck compression - which was happening anyway - got much worse.

It turns out also that i have acute asthma, brought on mainly when there is a high level of physical exertion. I needed an inhaler when I ran to keep my chest from tightening up. My body could run, my lungs couldn't.

I am also really slow. I run a distance run of 12.5 min/miles and a short distance at closer to 11. I got teased by a runner once who ran a 6 min/mile and he said why wasn't I speed walking instead? I said screw him. I want to run, so I run.

I am not actively running now, but I have run three marathons, and all of the training miles to go with it.
    Just because you aren't a natural at it, doesn't mean you can't. Just do what feels comfortable to you. If you want to run - unless your body is in pain - you should run. Pain should stop you from any activity. I do listen to when my knee starts to ache. I walk instead. Otherwise, strap on those laces and get going!

OH - also - Run because you love it. Running distance is as much a mental challenge as it is physical. If you don't see improvement right away, don't give up. You have to build strength and a routine of training before you will progress at anything. I did the PortlandFit Program to get going and I think they have programs through USA Fit for Marathon running and other training programs. TRAIN IN A GROUP the first time. I can't say enough how much the support of other people helped.
    Good Luck!!!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Any runners who were not good runners before?

Present and accounted for!

But seriously, I was the kid who failed Phys Ed because I couldn't run a sub-12-min mile.

I just ran my first 5k in November at just under 12-min/mile. :)

I used to HATE running and not be able to do it for longer than one minute. Now I can run an entire 5k nonstop, and could probably go longer than that. Plus, I discovered that I really LOVE to run. It especially feels good after I finish!

One thing that helped me was to 1) do other cardio exercises to increase my endurance... Zumba was the kicker for me, I found a class that is super high-intensity, so after a few months of that, my cardio system had more endurance. and 2) strength training! Working out your legs with weights is great for running. Stronger legs = win.

Other than that, be sure you slow down and pace yourself. Don't worry about being super fast or anything... if you're jogging at 4mph to start, that is OK. You'll be able to run much longer if you slow down! You can do it! :) Good luck!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hated it!

But I had to be taught "how to jog." When running on my own, I was going too fast/landing too hard on my feet and thus making my run feel miserable. I started running 3Ks with a jogger friend, we jogged (at what I saw) as a slow pace, smaller strides and she told me to land on my feet lightly (less impact). I realized a slower/regular pace made for better endurance/breathing and I could run longer!

The 3K was very hard at first, I think it took me 15mins... But it slowly felt more comfortable and then I started doing 5Ks and listening to my iPod as I ran. 5K was very hard, I had to take 1-3 short walking breaks (15-20 seconds) but the breaks got less frequent with practice!

And good shoes make a big difference! Much comfier! I like the kind from Footlocker with gel in the soles.