1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi and good question. I am on a 1500 calorie per day food planned designed per my age, gender, body type, blood type, hypoglycemia, etc. as I had a full checkup and conference with my MD and a board cert. nutritionalist after the test results. We discussed what to eat, not just calories, and an exercise program I could grow with. That was in April. It was a great move for me to get professional advice and it has worked wonderful for me. My normal day is around 1250-1500 calories per intake and 200-300 calories per exercise. However, your caloric needs most likely will be far different than mine because you are you.

I am totally satisfied, happy, losing inches and weight and have found great foods to keep me satisfied. Twice a month I allow my self a "guilt free" meal and just enjoy whatever.

It works for me, but I am 54 and due to an accident, have limited mobility as well. Getting the right kind of advice and working together with the MD and nutritionalist was a good move...insurance didn't cover it, but money well spent. And no, I am not on one script or any OTC weight loss pill. Not on any program like WW, etc. Just eating very healthy and loving it!

Hope that helps and good luck on your journey. :wink:
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the lean gains intermittent fasting, so yes there was an adjustment period.

I'm trying that right now too, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Eating all my calories in an 8 hour window helps me feel satisfied and hungry from noon all the way to bedtime =)

Why? cause Eff breakfast, that's why! =P
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am on the high end of your question since I get 1550 calories (before exercise calories). I am 47 and weigh about 280 at 5'8". I am fairly sedentary.

I do not get hungry on this although I do occasionally have cravings for something sweeter than fruit. I did not have any problems adjusting to this level.

I eat some protein at every meal - normally 3 in the day and no snacks. If I get a craving for something sweet that I can't shake I have some jelly beans or a few small pieces of hard candy like Jolly Ranchers. This only runs from about 35 calores to about 100 calories so I can usually fit it in my limits. If not, it is small enough that I can add some exercise to counter my giving in to my craving.

I sometimes have a hard time getting all of my calories in so i do not think I would do very well on a higher calorie level.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 131 lbs.

I eat 1450 on days I don't exercise and I eat around 1600-1700 on days that I do exercise. Honestly, I haven't felt hungry, if anything, I feel like sometimes I'm eating just to eat because I don't want to under eat.
  • I eat average 700 calories every day in an average week(I class binge week) and I don't get hungry? I'm only 4" 11 as well. Maybe it;s because I go for 24 hours without eating every week at one point, so my body's just relieved to get food.. ormaybe my stomach has shrunk
  • LucyJane1213
    Options
    MyFitnessPal tells me I should have 1470 calories daily in order to drop 1/2 lb a week - that's with no exercise. I'm currently 175 lbs. 5'3". I am not hungry usually. I eat all day long. It keeps the blood sugar level and minimizes hunger. I eat high protein, complex carbs, lots of veggies and fruits. By protein I mean lean meats like white meat chicken, lowfat yogurt, handful of nuts, skim milk. Complex carbs, but not too much, include whole grains (whole grain cereal/bread). I also eat carrot sticks, celery, oranges, apples, etc. Have minimal amounts of starches like pasta; minimal added sugars. The starches and sugars will stave off hunger and cravings temporarily but will drop your blood sugar faster and make you feel hungry again. I find that if I have small amounts of the above foods all day long my blood sugar stays even and I never feel "starving". When I feel "starved" that's when I tend to grab whatever is available and its usually not good. Hope this helps.
  • LucyJane1213
    Options
    Also, I forgot. When I exercise I can add extra calories if I choose.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I’m 5'9" tall and eat between 1200-1300 a day. I try to get to the gym 3 to 4 times a week but have been sick and on vacation lately so looking to get back to it.
    I had an adjustment to changing how I ate, to start with I struggled to eat 1000 a day. I was eating a lot more protein and more fiber. Less processed/carbs. I have been pretty successful so far. I do eat low carb/high protein/good fat diet.
    If I have a day that I feel really hungry I will eat more, I won’t starve myself to get 'thin' I want to be a healthy lean. I will be choosy about what I will 'cheat' on my day with though.
    I eat very little processed foods.
    I hope this helps.. No I’m a large framed woman, and tall, have managed to lose some weight and have done it pretty much not feeling hungry.
    Good luck..
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I eat average 700 calories every day in an average week(I class binge week) and I don't get hungry? I'm only 4" 11 as well. Maybe it;s because I go for 24 hours without eating every week at one point, so my body's just relieved to get food.. ormaybe my stomach has shrunk

700? is that a typo?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I average about 1500 calories a day on my days with out exercise and probably about 1700 on days with exercise. Some days are more some days are less. I am 4'9.5" tall, and am about 204 pounds. I eat when I am hungry and I eat filling foods for the most part. I don't ever feel really hungry and I never have. I can't do 1200 calories or ever 1400 calories or I feel like I will die but between 1500 - 1700 is a good place for me.

I NEVER have problems reaching a calorie goal, but I also don't stress if I go over I figure it all works out at the end as long as the scale goes the right direction.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm also 4'11" and I'm currently 189lbs. I personally have no problem with 1200 - 1300, but everyone's different :smile: I don't really get hungry, but if I do I just drink water or try to find something small to snack on.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

1. What's your height/ weight?

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

1) 5'6"/165lbs
    2) Not at all actually I usually feel really good on 1200 calories a day. Sometimes it's a struggle for me to get UP to 1200 calories.
    3) Lots of fresh fruits, veggies. Basically clean eating, and at LEAST 8 glasses of water a day. (I waver sometimes in the "clean" aspect)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I have a little under 100 pounds to lose and I eat 1300/day. Typically I find this satisfying, there are only some days where I feel kind of hungry. I'm sedentary (unemployed right now) and I have a lot of weight to lose. Not sure if that makes much of a difference. I eat whatever I want, nothing specific.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and weigh 134...I'm on 1200 a day and I burn about 450 calories exercising 6 days a week. I try to eat back about half of my exercise calories, which kind of evens out any "bad" meals I have on the weekends. No, honestly, I'm not hungry on 1200 (or 1400 eating back the exercise cals). I think for me it's that I eat a REALLY late breakfast; like 10:30 or 11. I work out around 9:00 every morning (stay at home mom) and I can't eat before working out. Since breakfast is late, lunch is late, too. I have an afternoon snack then dinner at a normal time. I always have a bit of chocolate after dinner if I've got the calories left for it.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1400-1600 depending of how big of a workout I do.. I'm really not hungry. I eat a big breakfast.. Smaller lunch ( I was never ever one for big lunches anyways and a big dinner and I always have a snack/dessert around 8-9 pm.. So I'm never hungry nor weak nor do I deprive myself of anything. I don't intend to go down from where I am right now unless I plateau ( then I'll go up)

That said, I don't understand the 1200 cals

I'm 5'6" 227 and I workout 6-7 days a week.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    when i first joined MFP, i did 1200 cals plus exercise cals...basically for two years or so. I went from Obese to "normal".... I don't remember feeling hungry a lot. I ate lots of low calorie foods= like salads and vegetables. If i wanted more food, I ate it...but I'd run for it. That whole thing worked for me.

I ended up at a weight that was scary low (for me) and kinda freaked for two reasons (1) I was at a scary low weight, and (2) I still didn't look the way I wanted to. I don't want to be "skinny" I want to be "fit." So on the advice of others, I upped my cals to about 1800 (my TDEE at my goal weight) and started lifting weights. I ended up putting on 15 lbs and a little bit of body fat (and I'm sure some muscle too!).

So after gaining 15 lbs, I freaked again and lowered my cals to 1300 plus exercise cals.

I find this whole how to eat while lifting thing more complicated than it probably should be. I see ladies with ripped abs who eat way more than I do and of course that is exactly what I want....but I'm struggling a bit to find my groove there.

Oh. And I catch myself feeling hungry more now than I did back then...probably because weight lifting takes more outta ya than just cardio does. And on lifting days, I let myself eat as long as I focus on protein. On non-lifting days, I try to stick to 1300 plus whatever I "earned" in cardio.

I'm 5'4", 135 lbs.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I eat average 700 calories every day in an average week

That's really, really unhealthy.. :ohwell:
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

1. What's your height/ weight?

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

That is all. It's always puzzled me that at only 4'11 and pretty petite I feel like DEATH if I eat under 1800 calories (to lose weight). I just cannot understand how people adhere to less than that and not cave after 12-16 hours. I think I'd become a binge eater overnight (and I'm being 100% serious). Maybe it's just that I don't have that kind of will power--or maybe it's an adjustment that's hard for everyone in the beginning stages.

In any case, my main point in posting this is that I'm really curious if you are actually HUNGRY and you just resist or if you're fine with your intake.

***I'm not attempting a 1200-1500 calorie diet...I am just curious.***

1. Height is 5'2, Weight is between 170-175

2. No i dont get hungry AT ALL..... there was no adjustment.

Not sure how, but im never hungry.... YES I've gone over 1200 at times, but not becasue I was hungry, just pure lack of self control.... if anything, you crave stuff, but its a difference to being HUNGRY.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    have a few questions for you...

1. What's your height/ weight? 5'2, 124 pounds

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? Nope

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? I don't eat a lot of sugar (most days, everyone has their days) and eat a lot of protein. I feel best around 1400 cals if I'm trying to loose.

Everyone's different.. you (general you) do what works for you, I'll do what works for me and we will all live in harmony... or something..
  • islandbeauty321
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome. Any pointers on how to get started? I want to jump in and get it done, but motivation is hard to come by because I am a mom of 3 (13, 11 and 13 mo old), I have a full time job and I work 7a-5p, so by the time I get home, I tend to the baby, make dinner for the family and when that is all done, it's about 9pm.

I am 5"8 and I weigh 207. My goal is to get to 170-175, but just starting is really hard :(