Replies

• 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look MARVELOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That is so amazing! Wow! You inspired me today. <3 Thanks for sharing.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. You should be so proud of yourself
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Now THIS is an inspirational story.

I have degenerative disk disease in my back and osteoarthritis in my hips. My Dr has told me that in order to keep things from getting worse (it has cause my right shoulder to drop 4 inch) I must lose the weight and get stronger. Exercise is painful and I do my best. I am a stress eater, and it has been hard to control. But I keep trying.

Thank you for sharing your story. You have really inspired me today.
  • katisabanana
    katisabanana Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    your story gave me crazy goosebumps. :) you're amazing.
  • dupuisc
    dupuisc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    wow...your story is amazing and so inspiring. Congrats!
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    what an inspiration you are! thank you for sharing! you know you are saving people's lives with your story? thank you.
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A fantastic story and a fantastic job! It literally brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the inspiration you're success provides all of us!
  • clewis628
    clewis628 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story!! Thank you for posting this. I am amazed and inspired by this - Congrats on your accomplishment!
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wowzers!! You're Incredible!! Great work!
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. You are awesome. Congrats on the success!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story of courage and determination. I have Cauda Equina as well, caused by Adhesive Arachnoiditis in my lower spine. I was never completely paralyzed, but do have permanent nerve damage, and did spend some time in a chair several years ago, and can truly understand the severe pain you have encountered.
    What an exceptional accomplishment for you to have lost your weight in the midst of all you went thru. My weight came on AFTER my disability, when the lack of mobility and depression took its toll, and it wasn't until years later when my condition improved that I was ready physically and emotionally to tackle the weight I had put on. Now, with the weight loss and increase in exercise, I am getting stronger every week.
    Major kudos to you for taking control of your health and fighting your way back! What an inspiration you are for me to continue my fight!
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing...such a positive story..truely amazing,

you are an amazing person!
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Wow. With 15 pages of comments, you may never see mine but you made me cry at work. Bar none the most inspiring story I have read on MFP. :flowerforyou: Thank you for reminding all of us it is within our power to be what we want to be.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I teared up. :flowerforyou:
  • Ginger_Poomkin
    Ginger_Poomkin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!!!
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lord. Oh what a breakthrough... Congrats my dear.
  • dominica_maria
    dominica_maria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    amazing story!! made me tear up, you look absolutely amazing you should be so proud!!
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.

And you don't have skin hanging off you! WOW!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!