18 months ago today I was paralyzed. ---Pics.---

Options

Replies

• MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story! Congratulations on all your hard work paying off. You're amazing! And your children are beautiful!
  • marmar2903
    marmar2903 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow- you are an inspiration. Kind of puts my ailments and excuses into prospective. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • madcat_wechanged
    Options
    You have taken away all of my excuses....thank you. :)

Such a show of strength and determination!
  • valcladdagh
    valcladdagh Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Simply amazing!!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I always say that I can't run (when really I just mean that it's hard and I don't like it) but if you can run 12mi. at a time after going through all that, I have no excuse!

Very amazing & inspring progress! wow!
  • mjungerman
    Options
    AMAZING-
  • AKbikini
    Options
    Wow, you are such an inspiration, I think you just rattled me out of my rut/plateau! You look AMAZING! And what a great example of determination and perseverance for your three beautiful kids. Bravo!
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am soo happy for you!!! You have definitely showed everyone there is hope.
    Very inspirational story!!!
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    amazing im very happy for you :-)
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Remarkable and inspirational! Well done! You are amazing!
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Today is a big day for me. It was 18 months ago today, June 11, 2011, that I was rushed to the ER in an ambulance because I had lost all feeling below the waist. I was transferred to a bigger city hospital where I had emergency spinal surgery - laminectomy, discectomy, and decompression of my spinal cord. Diagnosis was cauda equina syndrome due to a severely herniated disc.

When I woke up I could not move my legs. I could not stand or walk. I was in a wheelchair. For a few weeks I lived at a rehab hospital to regain strength as I sloooowly regained sensation in my legs. It's not all fully back - to this day I'm still numb down the back of my right leg and the bottom of my right foot. Chances are I'll never get that feeling back.

At my discharge appointment with the neurosurgeon on August 17, 2011, he told me to prevent this from happening again, that I needed to lose weight. I took his advice to heart.

I've posted on here before but I wanted to again because today is a big milestone for me. It's been a year and a half. It seems like so long ago but 18 months really isn't that long. It's been 18 months of the hardest work of my life.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I weighed 270 pounds. Now I don't. I weigh about 161-165.

18 months ago when I had this injury, I couldn't walk. Now I can. And I can RUN 12 miles at a shot.

HOW? MyFitnessPal and exercise. That's it. Being accountable for what I eat, and moving my body more.

I'm 5'8" and have three kids, who were 9 months, 2.5 years, and 5 years old at the time of my injury.

Before:
    IMG_4778-1.jpg

IMG_4780-2.jpg

In the hospital
    IMG_5009-1.jpg

IMG_4996-1.jpg

Hours of daily therapy in the rehab hospital
    IMG_5135-1.jpg

IMG_5011-1.jpg

IMG_5020-3.jpg

About a week after surgery was the first time I could feel my toes. It was truly amazing. This is the morning I woke up and could feel the fabric of my sock brushing on my toes.
    IMG_4997-2.jpg

After a few weeks I was out of the wheelchair and using a walker and I was discharged home. I had physical and occupational therapists visiting my house 4-5x/week for about 6 weeks.
    IMG_5141-3.jpg

Then I graduated to a cane the next month. This is the only picture I can find of my cane. That's my youngest daughter.
    IMG_5352.jpg

A month after that my surgeon told me to lose weight. So I started walking daily and joined MFP that very day.

Old pants (size 24) vs new pants (size medium)
    pants-1.jpg

Now I run a lot.
    photo-118-1.jpg

And wear a size 8/10
    photo-92.jpg20120827.jpg

If I could do it, you can too. Get up and move. Start logging your nutrition. Be accountable to yourself. You're worth it.

Thanks for letting me share.

What a Great Transformation you have accomplished!!!
    Phenomenal Weight Loss Success Story in pictures!!
    You look Gorgeous in your After pictures!
    You set a Phenomenal & Perfect example of the highest level of commitment here on MFP!
    That's "Dedication" at its Ultimate Best!
    You give a new meaning to "Fabulosity"!!

I had been paralyzed and physical illness as well!
    I have a similar testimony but I am still in the beginning phase of my recovery and journey to a Healthier Lifestyle!
    I am only 180 days into my journey of changing my Lifestyle habits.

In May 2006, God healed me from a close to death experience from 2 Brain Aneursyms, Paralysis and in 2008 a stroke, when I spoke words of "Healing" over myself & claimed my "Healing" in the name of Jesus Christ!!
    I do have permanent brain & nerve damage, and I did spend some time in a chair & walker then graduated to a cane several years ago, and can truly understand the severe pain you have encountered. 
    My weight came on AFTER my disability, when the lack of mobility and depression took its toll, and it wasn't until years later when my condition improved and I have the support of my new husband, that I am ready physically and emotionally to tackle the weight I had put on. Now, with the weight loss and increase in exercise, I am getting stronger every day and every week.
    He is the same God Today, Yesterday and Tomorrow!
    God is still in the "Healing" business as He was back in the Bible days.
    The Most important part of it all is taking care of God's Temple. Where he dwells within us!
    God wants to be in that Healthly Temple with us everyday!
    Your season of Harvest is what God has already planned for you!
    To have "HAVE LIFE" and to "Have that Life" more abundantly!
    It is about Glorifying HIM in every aspect of our Lives. In our Physical Bodies & Spiritual Bodies!
    God calls you "Beautiful and wonderfully made"!

Stay encouraged & steadfast to your Daily "Dedication" to a Healthier Lifestyle!
    Its Success Stories like yours that help me stay motivated! This difinitely inspires me to keep working towards my Ultimate Goal!
    Best wishes & continued success on your journey to a Healthier Lifestyle & skinnier You!
    You should be so proud of what you've accomplished!!!
    I know your family & friends are proud of you!

Always Be Blessed in Health, Healing, and Wholeness! (¯`’•.¸(†♥†)¸.•’´¯)
    Have a Blessed and Prosperous Day! AMEN †
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You look absolutely amazing!! What an inspiration you are to your family and kids as well as all of us on MFP!!! Thank you for the wonderful story and pictures!
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You're INCREDIBLE! I'm very proud of you and I'm happy that we're MFP buddies! You're a GENUINE INSPIRATION!!!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Truly inspiring! You are fantastic and what an awesome way to get your health back in control.

:flowerforyou:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing :)
  • konjit
    konjit Posts: 16
    Options
    Amazing.... You may have to repost this monthly to remind us! :-) GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! You remove all excuses anyone has. Love it! Way to go, huge congrats!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Except for me it was 12 years ago that I woke up in the ambulance and couldnt feel anything. I would hug you if I was there and we would raise our fists to the sky!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Just beautiful!
  • jcatal1412
    Options
    Truly r an inspiration.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!