Do you plank?

Options
If you do, what's your favorite variation?

And what's your PR for a classic plank (on elbows & toes)?

What's your goal (or next goal) to hold a classic plank?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hahaha

"Do you even plank?" Thank you for that.

I used to, when I did muay thai. I have no idea what my limit was, I always got bored after about 90 seconds.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I want to plank!! But i'm unsure of the correct positioning. Advice please?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I remember a post from another user that said something like

"If crunches are the little pink dumbbells of ab exercises, planks are the little blue ones"
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    No i dont but i plan on starting to plank.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    LOVE planking!! :D I go for forearms & toes!

this-is-why-we-do-plank.jpg
    Hopefully that helps a little!

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I want to plank!! But i'm unsure of the correct positioning. Advice please?
    When doing the basic plank, your elbows should position directly under your shoulders and your back should be straight, not arched and must be aligned with your legs. Don't let your abs hang loose, hold them up.

As for me, I do the weighted plank. Right now I'm doing it with a 20 kg plate on my back, so far I can only do max of 1 min first set then around 45-50 mins on the next 2 sets.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!

Thank you!! Will give it a go for the first time this evening!
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    looove it!!!

haaate the side planks with a beastly passion! but i WILL conquer them! just like i conquered 3 sets of 2min planks.

and... planks are NOT the little blue weights of ab exercises. whoever said that, hasnt done planks the way NR makes you do them.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

wow...i think i can this for just over a minute..but I did just start about a week ago
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    you should look up plankathon on blogilates. It is awesome for plankers.
    I have weak wrist so I usually am on my fist and toes. My fav plank move is the elbow push up and the hip dip. They are both on referenced above. Have fun!!
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I plank!! Everyday!!

I love it. Right now I am working on holding a 2 min plank!!! When you are short on time and want to fit in a workout... PLANK! PLANK! PLANK!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options

Stairway to heaven is a very awesome very long song and I shall join you in that challenge when I get home =)

wow...i think i can this for just over a minute..but I did just start about a week ago
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I love to plank :) i would usually do the classic version however with my sports sometimes end up doing slight variations- one arm/leg in air etc.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    are planks truly better than sit ups?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do a suspension trainer variaton that involves having feet suspended in the foot cradles of the suspension trainer about 6" off the ground. I also do the sandbag plank drag, which is where, while in a plank, you go up onto one arm while dragging a sandbag along the ground with the other, then switch.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options

7 Minutes?! AWESOME!! I'm sure you'll get to stairway of heaven status!

I plank time to time... but for 30 seconds. I want to build it up, and I'm sure in time I will! I don't quit. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention I love this picture. I know planking is a great core exercise, but I didn't know if it worked anything else.
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like planks!

I like to do it on the forearms and tippy-toes. If I do it on my hands, my shoulders get tired too quickly. Usually I will do it sometime during the work day, I just go in the bathroom and plank for 30 seconds. It's hard for me still!

But I've read that planking is good because it kind of "trains" your abs to stay more tight or constricted, giving the appearance of a flatter belly all the time.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    are planks truly better than sit ups?
    As far as the amount of muscles being targeted, I'd say yes. Sit-ups is considered an isolation exercise that only targets our ab muscles whereas planks targets our core, thighs, shoulders, back.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When you get stronger and planking on your hands/toes, elbows/toes gets easier (you will, and they will) try it on a yoga ball. Either elbows on the ball, or tougher, toes on the ball, and hands on the floor. THAT will wake your core up. There are so many variations you can do, either with medicine balls, benches, etc. Sometimes I incorporate a weight plate drag under my body with the opposite arm to really hit the obliques (warning: these suck, my husband told me he didn't like me anymore after he did them with me) or sometimes I plank across two weight benches and do dumbell rows. Possibilities are endless! Happy planking :)
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'll normally plank it in the mornings and nights, normally about 3 minutes, more if I have something to read. Those of you going past 5 minutes could probably use more fiber in your diet....just sayin'