Do you plank?

Options

Replies

• diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing them a while ago, they took too much time to do before they were effective.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Love to plank!

Lately the mod my trainer has me doing is forarms on the stability ball and toes. And the roll the ball in and out. Holy cr*p does that work!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do them but get bored just sitting there & tend to bounce a little on my toes to whatever song is on. Hope that's not taking away the effect!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Love to plank!

Lately the mod my trainer has me doing is forarms on the stability ball and toes. And the roll the ball in and out. Holy cr*p does that work!

Ooo, we do a variation in crossfit where our feet are on a medicine ball, we do a pushup, then do a crunch by bringing our knees to our chest, rolling the ball under us & back out. Repeat till you drop!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    grandma-planking.jpg
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Love planking!! longest for a elbow/toes plank - 3 min. love doing side planks too. :)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    We do them in TRX all the time with our feet in the cradles. This allows for lots of fun and painful variations.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    LOVE planking!! :D I go for forearms & toes!

this-is-why-we-do-plank.jpg
    Hopefully that helps a little!

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!

This!! also do up downs, where you go to your up on your hands then back to your forearms, 5-10 times each side.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    grandma-planking.jpg

LOL Gold!
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't do unnecessary cardio myself...

that doesnt involve only one hand.

Well that just wouldn't be using all resources available.
  • PHATCHIK
    PHATCHIK Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am with you!! I do 3 sets at 30 seconds each!!
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My least favorite plank, but the one that makes me feel tight and toned the next day is this:

Plank position on hands (not elbows) with hands directly below the shoulders.
    Bring your right knee up like you're a male dog urinating (sorry for the poor graphic) then bring the knee toward then a little past your right elbow - crunching your abs into it.
    Then straigten the leg back into a straight plank position - but don't set the foot down.
    Now bring the same knee straight up between your two arms - tighten your abs at the belly button so you don't sink or raise your buttox.
    Finally, straighten your leg out back to the plank position but again, don't put the foot down.
    Start back at the beginning to repeat with the same leg for a count of 8 or 10.
    When done with your right side, repeat on the left.

These will be the hardest planks you'll ever do but they will tone your obliques like youd never believe! I still have belly fat (I have another 20-30 pounds to lose) and the next day I see a verticle line down the sides of my belly and a horizontal line about 2" above my belly button and another below my ribs - I call it my 2-pack abs.

But you should do several different planks, many of which will also help you with balance and will tone other parts of your core. Don't just stick to one type, but this one will kick your butt!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't do unnecessary cardio myself...

that doesnt involve only one hand.

lol@both
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do them in a circuit with weighted Russian twists, another exercise where you lay on your back with your legs straight up and then rotate your legs from side to side while keeping them straight (dont know what they are called) and then a one minute plank. Do 2 or 3 sets of this.

Just holding a plank for minutes would drive me crazy.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LOVE planking!! :D I go for forearms & toes!

this-is-why-we-do-plank.jpg
    Hopefully that helps a little!

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!

In bootcamp we do single leg plank to pushups, alternating legs. Yes- it hurts.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    PR is about 4 minutes... haven't done them in a while since I do other ab work though!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump to read
  • airiesgirl73
    Options
    i like to do the plank aswell, but i have a weak lower back, so what should i do for that? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i hate crunches so i dont do them, love pilates, need new ideas
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Loooove planks. I do the traditional ones with my personal trainer, usually 30 seconds at a time, but I incorporate them into lifting and conditioning sets, so I'm usually a bit fatigued when I get to them. I go for longer if I'm on my own.

Side planks are difficult for me though. I have legs that are longer than my arms are proportioned, so I feel like I struggle with center of gravity, etc. My PT trainer had me doing them on the balance ball and up on my hands, not elbows. That really works your sides! Whew!!

Edited to add - my trainer also oftentimes puts a weight on my butt to add intensity to the work. It's awesome.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have worked up to a minute, trying for 2! I also do side planks, which are very difficult!