Do you plank?

Options

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    LOVE planking!! :D I go for forearms & toes!

this-is-why-we-do-plank.jpg
    Hopefully that helps a little!

My PR is 7 minutes, though I haven't been able to replicate it since. Currently I'm averaging around 4 minutes. My biggest goal is to plank the entirety of Stairway to Heaven!

Sorry to be "that guy", but... Your body doesn't really get any extra benefit from holding it for more than 3 minutes at a time. Apparently you're supposed to go as long as you can up to 3 minutes, take a 30 second or longer break, and then go back into it. This is true for stretching as well as any other static exercise.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of the traditional plank. Have only timed myself once after a full work out with my PT, and did 3 minutes continuous. Don't like planks where my feet are off the ground against a wall.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I do :) But I am new to it. Right now I can only hold it for 20 seconds on forearms and toes :) I will get better.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Looks painful
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Vasisthasana
    (side plank) - to ramp it up, lift your upper leg straight and paralell to the floor and hold. Upper arm straight up and fingers spread, "enthusiastically".
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I love planks!

My PR for an elbow plank was 7:30 minutes. We were having a contest at the gym and the highest time was 5+ minutes and I wanted to beat that and make sure no one else beat me.

Yup. I won. :smokin:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i can do it on my forearms for over a minute. haven't tried it since i began 5x5 though so i might be able to go for longer now.

great idea to read while doing it!
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have a love hate relationship with planks...I do them but I hate them at the time, love them after when I say look what I just did! I'm not sure of whta my longest is, but I usually hold them for a minute or 2, so jumping jacks for 3 minutes then do another plank again. When I do mine, I do the usual (like the picture someone posted) then switch to the side as well
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I can do about 45 seconds with my forarms on a BOSU ball (the soft rounded side) and my toes on a medicine ball. The unstable base at the forearms and toes make this one a fun and rewarding challenge :)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I don't do unnecessary cardio myself...
  • GCNerd
    GCNerd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love planking! I usually do it on my hands and toes, but I haven't been able to hold it for longer than 1.5 minutes. If I'm on my elbows, it's definitely a lot easier.

I like to have plank challenges with my boyfriend to see who can hold it longer. So far, I've been winning, but he's training hard to beat me! ;)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Planks aren't cardio the way I do them.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOOVE planking! I do the forearm and toe position and usually do 4 sets of 30 second holds. sometimes more if I am in a groove :)
  • melmckay99
    Options
    I can do about 45 seconds with my forarms on a BOSU ball (the soft rounded side) and my toes on a medicine ball. The unstable base at the forearms and toes make this one a fun and rewarding challenge :)

My goal is to one day plank with my forarms and toes on an exercise ball (one at each end). I've seen someone do this before and it looks so hard! I haven't even attempted it yet, though I might soon..... :)
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

that doesnt involve only one hand.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be "that guy", but... Your body doesn't really get any extra benefit from holding it for more than 3 minutes at a time. Apparently you're supposed to go as long as you can up to 3 minutes, take a 30 second or longer break, and then go back into it. This is true for stretching as well as any other static exercise.

Personally I don't care about the "extra benefit"... I do multiple sets, variations (ie- single leg, side planks, etc), and other exercises as well. I'm a huge numbers person though. Being able to hold it for that long gives me a sense of accomplishment, though it might not do anything more for me per-say. I find it exciting saying "I planked for x-number of minutes".
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Oye, yes I do! My pilates instructor has us do it twice a week, a minute 1/2 each time. It's brutal but works the core muscles and tightens everything right up. :) It's a simple move that does a lot for the body.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

that doesnt involve only one hand.

Ha!!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I plank using toes on ground, elbows on one of those half-Swiss ball things

bosu11.jpg

I plan on switching to toes on bench, elbows on full Swiss ball when I can do 3x120sec sets of this one.