What would you think if you saw self harm scars?

Options
124»

Replies

• santamommy
    Options
    If I were you, I would wear those dresses. If anyone ask about the scars it is up to you to tell them. Consider the "Badges of Honor" Its something you went through in your life that is past, but made your a stronger fighter. No sugar, all truth.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    Healing happens every time you don't let yourself continue to cut or injure yourself. Every time you consider self harm and don't follow through or distract yourself with something positive, it's a triumph. Every old cut that is now a fading scar is in the past. Don't let them bother you anymore.

I'm constantly battling, but I embrace my scars. They're part of me. They're not fresh wounds and they haven't been for a very long time. I'm proud of that. You should be too.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    i would literly say i ahve been attacked and got harmed and no one will suspect that , only if you are dating a surgent
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think anything negative about the person. Everyone has scars, some people's just happen to be more visible. You don't have to live in shame and cover them up to make other people feel comfortable with who you are. Just be prepared for how you will respond to questions in case they come up. You don't have to answer them but think of a tactful way to say STFU - people can be inconsiderate and nosy.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wear the dresses. Seriously.
    Anytime I get a "what happened?" I respond with "high school". Shuts them right up. Mine are on my upper arms and wrists (the outside) so they show a lot. I've never gotten another word after my usual response.
    As to what I'd think about the person: honestly I'd judge them a little an see if theirs were bigger/deeper/prettier than mine and either feel some respect or think a little less of them. Because I'm pretty judgey and constantly comparing everything on someone else to me. :/
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Eh, for all people know (and most won't notice) it's scars from an accident or an attack, even. Who cares what they think anyway? I've got my share too. People honestly don't notice mine.
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Although I have none of my own, I've been involved with a few people over the years who have, including one who was self-harming while we were together. Also got some very good friends who have done, before we knew each other.

I notice them, but I know everyone goes through some rough times in life, particularly when young, and everyone chooses their own way of dealing with it. Like otehrs have said, I'd be glad that the scars weren't fresh, and that the dark times would seem to be behind you.

As for when they're "healed", I'd say once the raw pink fades to white, that's enough. Essentially once it looks like a scar, and not a healing wound.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's not a reflection of who a person is now, but that great personal struggles have been in their past. I don't judge people for having them; they may not in themselves be attractive but everyone is shaped in different ways by the events in their lives.
  • ianpayne1976
    ianpayne1976 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have some covered by tattoo's but have some i can see but am glad as a reminder of how i use to be