How did you select your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I set my original goal at 118 (I'm 5'1") but now that I'm within a pound of that, I reset it to 115. I've been that weight before and I know what it feels like and looks like. Three pounds doesn't sound like much but at my height I'm doing the tweaking I need to do AND giving myself a couple of pounds of wiggle room. I also know I can maintain that weight (I did for 5 years before regaining 17 pounds) as long as I'm careful, within 2 or 3 pounds. On some people my height 115 is too much and on others it's not enough. So many variables no matter what you set your goals to be.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Highest, healthy number on the BMI chart (140#), since that's what most doctors go by when telling you if you're healthy of not.
  • FitGoal165
    Options
    I looked back at the age that I was when I looked the best and said, "That's the weight I'm going for."
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Go to Dukan Diet aka www.dukandiet.com and take the questionnaire.
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I went with the weight I was before kids, which is in the middle of the recommended range for my height, but also aimed to be a certain body-fat percentage. I think you'll find a lot of different reasons. :smile:
  • kphillery
    kphillery Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see if it's actually possible for me to be that size. To actually challenge myself to be in better health instead of using excuses.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I looked at pics of my dad when he was younger, during his Navy days (mid 1960's in Vietnam). Dude was a skinny beast!! He said he'd hang upside down from a pullup bar and do full situps, 100 at a time. No fat, 160lbs, 5'9". Son of a lumberjack, forced to work in the mill of course.

I'm only an inch taller, so I picked 170 since I want a little more muscle than that.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I measured my bodyfat %, calculated my current lean body mass, and figured out how much I should weigh if I dropped by bodyfat % by a particular % but maintained my lean body mass. Then I accounted for a possible (probably) slight reduction in LBM and came up with a range. Voila.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I measured my bodyfat %, calculated my current lean body mass, and figured out how much I should weigh if I dropped by bodyfat % by a particular % but maintained my lean body mass. Then I accounted for a possible (probably) slight reduction in LBM and came up with a range. Voila.

Do you have an equation for that? I am lazy with numbers. I'm 128 at 18% bodyfat (that's sort of an estimate based on calipers and the average of my BF scale). How much would I weigh at 15% bodyfat?
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Several years ago,in basic training, I lost a ton of weight and I got down to 130 pounds. At 5'7" with a medium + frame, I look gross and way too thin at 130, and I lost all my curves. I gained some weight back over the next few years and sat at a nice healthy 145 for a long time after that. 145 is my goal because I look my best there and it's fairly easy to maintain if I maintain healthy eating habits.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist advise me that because of my frame, I should weigh no less than my goal weight so that's what i've selected; HOWEVER, I'm going to see what I look like at this weight and be the judge myself :)

I have previously weighed 7lbs more than my goal weight but that was in high school. I remember looking pretty good but I'm 26yrs older now so we shall see :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I looked at the BMI chart - saw the lowest weight that was healthy for me and aimed for that for three years- knowing full well I would get ALMOST there and be at a better weight. After 3 years, I was at 180 so I stopped aiming for 140, split the difference, switched to heavy lifting and aimed for 160-170.

Im at 167 now and stronger everyday.

So now the goal weight Im working toward is deadlifting 225.
  • mystiqu3
    Options
    I picked mine based on my high school weight as well. If I find a weight between that I'm comfortable with I'll go with that. I looked up on the internet what a healthy size would be and it said 120-140. Realistically that is not healthy for me. I have a very large butt that weighs about 10lbs itself.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Do you have an equation for that? I am lazy with numbers. I'm 128 at 18% bodyfat (that's sort of an estimate based on calipers and the average of my BF scale). How much would I weigh at 15% bodyfat?

Here you go - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

According to this, you would weigh 124.

I don't actually have a goal weight, I just like lifting. I was pretty certain I wasn't able to lose weight, but my trainer nagged me into it. And it wasn't that hard when I actually did what he said, so now I'm just doing whatever he says. Which I guess sounds kind of bad, but at this point it's pretty clear he's got a much better idea of what I'm capable of than I do, and, you know, that is what I pay him for. If I started looking scrawny or losing strength I'd stop, but so far, so good.

To be at the bf% he claims I can reach, I'd weigh 128. (Currently 143.)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I don't have a goal weight because I understand how overall body composition can change when in the pursuit of fitness in ways that could change whatever goal weight I had. Therefore, setting an exact goal weight is a bad, and stupid, idea. Bodyfat percentage,measurements, those are good to go by. But weight? Nope.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    100 lb less than I started with. It's easy to remember and within the healthy range. I will see my doctor this month and then adjust based on what he says.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My intial goal weight was 135. That was based on those ridiculous height weight charts that expect every single person to fit into a cookie cutter shape. ( i'm 5'4). When I got to 150 lbs and was a size 6 I realized no way do I want to lose another 15 lbs. Im happy, feel thin, and like the way I look at this weight so my new goal is 145. I'll still be a size 6 and thats where I want to stay.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, OP.

I'm 5'11 so my healthy weight (according to the BMI chart) is about 140-175. My goal weight, as of now, is 170 because that's the last weight where I felt comfortable and healthy. I still have a long way to go, so I'm sure my goal will change the closer I get, whether it becomes more or less than 170, that all depends on how I feel/look.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    What ever weight that gets this gut off is my goal. My belly fat is the decider for me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's how much I weighed in 10th grade