How did you select your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    In my mid 30's I biked over 5000 miles/year for a couple years. My weight was stable at around 185 so I thought I'd take it down to there and see how that feels for a bit. Since it's 20 years later and I don't plan on being that active I assume I'll want a lower target after a while.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I got my current weight, got my BF%, used that to calculate my lean mass, decided on a final BF% I would like to achieve, and used that with my lean mass to calculate a final weight.

It is subject to change without notice. lol
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I was thrilled with how I looked at 108 a few years before I got pregnant, so that's my goal for now. When I get there I'll reassess. :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My goal was the highest weight within the healthy BMI range. I'm also tall (a bit over 5'10") and larger framed, and I cannot imagine weighing in the lower bit of the healthy BMI range.

I'm a couple pounds under that currently. I am working on body comp and lowering body fat percentage now (it's around 26 percent and I'd like to hit 23-24%).
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I really have no idea what weight my ultimate weight will be. I never really weighed myself past 8th grade, and I packed on weight in high school, so I have no idea what weight I want to be. Or even "get back to". And I don't want to set up unrealistic goals of being the size I was in high school because, I have a different body from then! (But also, I was heavy then! So I want to weigh LESS than I did in high school) So, I basically am looking at the BMI charts and I picked a weight to get me in the "healthy" weight, I actually picked on the higher end. BMI scale is kinda bogus in my mind but also a good reference to use for an idea of where I should be. If I get to a weight and it's above that but I feel good, then that will be the weight I stay at. If I get to that weight and think "I can really lose 20 more" then, I will. But right now I just want to not be in the overly obese category.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I thought back to what weight I liked my size at and then tacked on a few pounds because I knew that at that weight, I didn't feel as healthy & strong as I'd wanted to. Then I got to about 5lbs higher than that number and started to look creepy skinny in certain areas so I made that my new goal weight with the goal of working out to see if I could shift things around.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Mine is kind of funny. I originally put it at 150 (5'6") because that was the thinnest I had ever been and I felt good there before. I then knocked it down to 145 after only losing a few pounds. It seemed impossible, but my pride made me put it lower. Why? Because my BF told me that he was the most comfortable with his body when he had been 150 (he's maybe one inch taller). I HAVE to weigh less than my BF's healthy weight. lol.

Now that I'm close to goal, I think I might want to lose more. I'll wait until I'm actually there, but I really want to shed some more fat to show off the muscles I've been working on. Maybe 135?
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 my goal weight is 180. I do not want to ever be skinny. The chart says I should be 124-160, which is too small. Because I am tall I carry my weight well, plus i am not stomach heavy.. I love my curves. When I was 280 no one believed I weighed that much. Do what looks good to you and yours.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    I selected my goal because I used to be that weight a few years back and I liked the way I looked at that weight. :smile:
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Initially, I put my goal weight to 135 (which is what I was in HS and I was still a little chuby). I told folks what my goal was when I asked and everyone told me that it was impossible and that I was aiming for too low. Which I was like, "uh, what?" They told me that my weight in HS would never be achievable because I'd changed since HS!

Talk about discouraging. About this time, I got a scale that breaks down fat and lean % and decided to go for a BF% rather than a number on the scale. So with my body fat % aim, I'll be about 135 pounds (according to a projected calculator assuming I don't lose more lean muscle).

Which, y'know, makes me a little bit more vindicated that I had the right estimate in the first place! Ain't no one gonna tell me what I can or can't do!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I guessed at 135 but now that I'm at 143 I'm guessing I'm going to need to go lower than that to get to what I want to look like. Atm it's 130, but I'll see when I get there. I'm not going so much off the scale weight. I'm really going by how I look in the mirror.
  • christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I went by my BMI... and since I've been way lower my GW, I know I didn't want to go lower than that cuz I was too skinny below my GW :)
  • bethanyfirehammer
    Options
    I'm also 5'10" and fairly pear shaped (boobs are where I lose weight first, so no more hourglass). At 180, I can see my collar bone, rib cage (not ribs), etc. But I still have lovehandles and more tummy than I want to have. My goal is 160, because I have very muscular legs from being a swimmer in high school, and I know that my legs and hips and such aren't going to get much smaller.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think I am still trying to decide on my goal weight.

Years ago I reached my "lowest" adult weight at 127 lbs, but I was a size 7/8 and "soft". I had not caught the workout fever. It was then that I decided that I should be 116 lbs (I am 5' 2").

Fast forward to current day and I fluctuate between 125 to 128, but I look so much slimmer and my dress size is a 4/6... sometimes even a 2.

Now 116 lbs sounds absurd... honestly... so I figure that maybe 120 to 123 is best for me.... I'm still searching for that weight
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I chose mine based on what I considered was both normal and attainable. Once I hit it (about 20 pounds to go), I'll re-evaluate.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I weighed 125 pounds when I was 16 and I felt great then. I'm aiming for 130 since I'm a little taller than I was then AND 130 is in the healthy BMI range for me. Not sure if I'll get there though. I may re-evaluate when I get under 140.
  • pickledginger
    Options
    I know what I'd like to look like, and know I can't do that in this body. I also know how sick I got when I tried.

So I took my lean body weight, based on two methods of measurement plus past experience; multiplied that by (1 plus the low end of healthy body-fat percentages for adult female types); and rounded down a scoshe to get a nice number.

It would leave me a little above the suggested BMI range for my height, but I already knew I was not in the middle of the body-composition bell curve, so that's no surprise.

Unless some of my metabolic and other health issues are resolved, it isn't likely I will see that weight again anyway. But just in case,I wanted that number sitting there to remind me, it's time to stop.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first goal was 175, seemed like a good number. I'm 5'8". Now I am 11 pounds away from that and my goal is looking more like 158-160. I was about 170 on my wedding day and I had some chunk I could get rid of then (that was 3 babies, and 17 years ago!) Knowing that my body is a bit different from prebaby days I'm not quite sure where I feel my best at. I'm anxious to get to 175 to see how much more. I don't want to be less than 150 so if I hit 160 and plateau out I think I would feel good there.
  • 50sBeachWalking
    50sBeachWalking Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started out using the BMI of 25 for my goal. Once I hit that, I looked at myself in the mirror and was more concerned about eliminating the love handles. I'm about 10 under my original goal and have leaned out rather nicely. I've lost a total of 35 lbs. and now want to stay about there. Now I want to start shaping by exercise and weight lifting. I got lean, now I want to get mean. As long as my shape is good, I'm not going to worry as much about my weight as long as it's related to muscle. I hope this helps.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight for a couple of reasons:

1. I've been there previously and been comfortable in my own skin, I've also been slightly lighter than my current goal weight
    2. Based on height/weight/obesity charts, It puts me under the obese range and just barely over the overweight range ( its at least a good starting point that can be tweeked if necessary)
    3. I don't want to lose so much weight i end up looking like a bobble head :blushing: