Paul McCartney taking Kurt Cobain's Spot

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can't do any worse than Cobain did, right?

:noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :yawn: :huh:

You love me. Tell me why he's a "god" again?

Not a god, but Nirvana (along with Pearl Jam, et al.) saved rock music from disappearing into the void that it was headed into during the late 80s, early 90s. They reinvented rock music at a time when it was most needed.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Uh... what? I have a hard time imaging they'll actually be playing Nirvana. I trust Grohl to not let this be a total train wreck.

As a singer though, I agree with AJ, it's not as if Cobain could sing either...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It took quite a long time, but Nirvana finally jumped the shark.

Do you even know what that phrase means?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yeah..the "source" of this is the "SUN" which is like the British National Enquirer, I believe...

More likely, Paul is perfoming a song with Dave Grohl at this benefit and the whole thing is blown out of proportion.

Dave Grohl did a version of "Band on the Run" at the White House a while back at a McCartney tribute, so the whole "Paul didn't know who Nirvana was" is also a load of BS....
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I could totally see him doing a very McCartney-esque rendition of "All Apologies" which would be hilariously weird.

Other than that, I can not imagine this at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Pff, they should have taken Lizzy from Halestorm instead.

Yes! Or Shaun Morgan from Seether. Whenever he does a Nirvana cover song, it feels like I'm at a Nirvana concert.

I love Paul, but no. Dave Grohl is in love with him and has clouded judgement. I would go though, for satire's sake.

Yeah, Shaun Morgan would have been perfect! :heart:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've got nothing against McCartney. I was just saying that his prime was way over when Cobain was at the top of his game.

So true!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yeah..the "source" of this is the "SUN" which is like the British National Enquirer, I believe...

More likely, Paul is perfoming a song with Dave Grohl at this benefit and the whole thing is blown out of proportion.

Dave Grohl did a version of "Band on the Run" at the White House a while back at a McCartney tribute, so the whole "Paul didn't know who Nirvana was" is also a load of BS....

Actually a quick Google news search shows that all the London papers are covering this story. (And all of them that I saw included the bit about him not knowing that they were once "Nirvana." Considering Paul's age and genre, it's not that unbelievable.)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It's not Nirvana, it's Dave Grohl and Sir Paul. That said, Sir Paul can't sing Nirvana, he ennunciates far too well. We might actually understand the lyrics as they're sung. Here we are now, entertain us Paul.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the pairing I would imagine... Maybe he blows his head off... lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Actually a quick Google news search shows that all the London papers are covering this story.
    Yeah, but they're also all quoting the Sun as their source....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I'll take the unpopular position here.... I think it's sort of respectful that they're not trying to fill Kurt Cobain's shoes with someone more like him. I doubt Paul McCartney will try to sound like Cobain, I think they might do interesting arrangements of the music. I don't like McCartney or the Beatles at all, but i can't deny that he's a talented and creative musician... I think theyres at least a possibility that something cool will come of it. Like Molé sauce- you don't expect chocolate and chili to go together, but dammmm they do!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Actually a quick Google news search shows that all the London papers are covering this story.

Actually, the Guardian is quoting spokesman, not the Sun. No serious newspaper would quote the Sun as a source for their info.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/dec/12/paul-mccartney-kurt-cobain-nirvana

A CBS news affiliate is also reporting it as a fact, not rumor:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/12/12/paul-mccartney-to-be-the-voice-of-nirvana-reunion/
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not Nirvana, it's Dave Grohl and Sir Paul.

That might be OK. But no way should Paul try to sing a single Nirvana song. Just no.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I dunno, I'll take the unpopular position here.... I think it's sort of respectful that they're not trying to fill Kurt Cobain's shoes with someone more like him. I doubt Paul McCartney will try to sound like Cobain, I think they might do interesting arrangements of the music. I don't like McCartney or the Beatles at all, but i can't deny that he's a talented and creative musician... I think theyres at least a possibility that something cool will come of it. Like Molé sauce- you don't expect chocolate and chili to go together, but dammmm they do!

"Interesting" is a great way to describe it.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

Actually, the Guardian is quoting spokesman, not the Sun. No serious newspaper would quote the Sun as a source for their info.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/dec/12/paul-mccartney-kurt-cobain-nirvana

A CBS news affiliate is also reporting it as a fact, not rumor:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/12/12/paul-mccartney-to-be-the-voice-of-nirvana-reunion/
    Regardless of the sources, I'm willing to bet this headline is blown out of proportion and there's ZERO intention of this actually being considered a Nirvana reunion (aside from Grohl and Novoselic playing together again).
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    So an old has-been that won't let go is singing in an old overrated band that would not be nearly as infamous had their lead not committed suicide? Great...
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Can't do any worse than Cobain did, right?

:noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :yawn: :huh:

You love me. Tell me why he's a "god" again?

Not a god, but Nirvana (along with Pearl Jam, et al.) saved rock music from disappearing into the void that it was headed into during the late 80s, early 90s. They reinvented rock music at a time when it was most needed.

I wouldn't go that far, though I guess they did make an impact on the surface of pop culture. I'm sure if it wasn't Nirvana and PJ, it would've been some other bands. There were some pretty fantastic underground bands that were way more influential that most can't name. I really appreciated the grunge fashion scene though.

But I will agree that the huge gap in genres between Sir Paul and Nirvana is going to make for a pretty interesting performance.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There's people that don't like the beatles!? :indifferent:
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    There's people that don't like the beatles!? :indifferent:
    *raises hand*