Paul McCartney taking Kurt Cobain's Spot

Options

Replies

• grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    People are taking this WAAAAYYY out of context. It isn't Nirvana - it couldn't be without Kurt - and it isn't supposed to be, it's not being billed that way. . According to the news article:

Surviving members Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic haven’t played together in 20 years—save a few one-offs and Novoselic’s appearance on the latest Foo Fighters album—but will perform a new song they’ve been working on with McCartney.

RELAX people, it's only rock 'n' roll! It's a benefit concert to raise money for people affected by Hurricane Sandy, not some crass commercial attack on anyone's sensibilities. You don't like it, don't listen, change the channel and move on. Paul has done some terrible things and he's done some remarkable things over the course of his career. Hell, over the course of the last five years! What if that band tackled Helter Skelter? I bet Dave Grohl would rock that thing to the heavens! And it has been a pretty remarkable piece of Paul's recent live sets, too.

And if you don't think Kurt was a Beatles fan, you're way wrong too. How come no one is saying it's the Beatles with Dave, Krist and Pat taking John, George and Ringo's spots?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Paul McCartney is replacing the late Kurt Cobain tonight in a Nirvana "reunion" for the sandy relief concert.

Thoughts?

I think it's going to be terrible, and I can't believe they are doing it..

ditto...

Weird Al was unavaliable?

FTW!
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Have nothing good to say about this but

What the #&@*#&*#&#*z?!?!?!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Paul McCartney is replacing the late Kurt Cobain tonight in a Nirvana "reunion" for the sandy relief concert.

Thoughts?

Agreed!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Why didn't the Foo Fighters just perform? What the hell were they thinking?
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    So an old has-been that won't let go is singing in an old overrated band that would not be nearly as infamous had their lead not committed suicide? Great...

Say what?
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Weird combo but PM's a pro and I think it will be good but different

What's really weird is that Eddie Vedder will be there. He would be a logical choice.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

ditto...

Weird Al was unavaliable?

:laugh:
    I love Paul (and Weird Al). And Nirvana.
    But together? Kind of like putting green olives on my pbj sammich.
    Wait...
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    BTW...take away the screaming and dirty guitars and Nirvana's music is very melodic and Beatle like.

I sure KC would have been extremely happy to share a stage with Paul Mcartney.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Didnt know Nirvana did hey jude....

Only thing he seems to sing these days...
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    There's people that don't like the beatles!? :indifferent:

Yes!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It took quite a long time, but Nirvana finally jumped the shark.

Do you even know what that phrase means?

Sure do. Happy Days...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can't do any worse than Cobain did, right?

:noway: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :yawn: :huh:

You love me. Tell me why he's a "god" again?

Not a god, but Nirvana (along with Pearl Jam, et al.) saved rock music from disappearing into the void that it was headed into during the late 80s, early 90s. They reinvented rock music at a time when it was most needed.

I wouldn't go that far, though I guess they did make an impact on the surface of pop culture. I'm sure if it wasn't Nirvana and PJ, it would've been some other bands. There were some pretty fantastic underground bands that were way more influential that most can't name. I really appreciated the grunge fashion scene though.

But I will agree that the huge gap in genres between Sir Paul and Nirvana is going to make for a pretty interesting performance.

The Seattle music scene completely revolutionized rock music, NOT to be confused with "pop" music or pop culture. The Seattle scene changed rock music in the early 90s.

During this time period, I was headed to college, and one of the few who was starting to listen to grunge and dress grunge and appreciate the difference in style after bands like Warrant were becoming parodies of themselves. This was when clubs started doing "alternative nights" (the only night I was willing to go to a club). It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

Yes, it wasn't *just* Nirvana or *just* Pearl Jam. It was a whole new scene and a brand new genre. Nirvana gained much notoriety from it. Pearl Jam attempted to completely alter the way concert tickets were sold, which didn't work out. If Nirvana hadn't existed, bands live Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins and Mother Love Bone would still have done the job. (Not to mention RHCP, though they were from L.A. instead of Seattle, they were an alternative to the 80s L.A. scene)

So I will agree that if Nirvana had not existed, the grunge/alternative scene would still have happened. But Nirvana's music was unique even within this scene. Their lyrics and sound were different from the others. (Just like no one compares to Smashing Pumpkins!) They were very special and we lost them way too soon.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    So an old has-been that won't let go is singing in an old overrated band that would not be nearly as infamous had their lead not committed suicide? Great...

hmm... nice try, but not a lot of bites.

6/10 on the tollometer
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

hmm... nice try, but not a lot of bites.

6/10 on the tollometer

It's an off day for me. I'm rather ashamed. It is my true opinion though.
  • justarandomperson
    Options
    thats practically blasphemy! it would be a much better and more fitting reunion to just have a mosh pit and bar with the remaining members free to join in moshing to their own songs. that i'd go to
  • Squashypig
    Squashypig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sir Paul may be a rock legend, but Kurt Cobain he most definately ain't! I Don't think he can do this justice, sorry :sad:
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    just have Chris Cornell sing with them....................
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I will need to see this. Not sure what I think.... They may want to provide extra security for Paul if Courtney shows up!
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Sir Paul may be a rock legend, but Kurt Cobain he most definately ain't! I Don't think he can do this justice, sorry :sad:

^^^this!!