Protein help! 1 gram/lb seems impossible!

Options
Hi All,

So everywhere I look, it says that people should be aiming to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of their body weight. That means I should be eating approx. 150 grams of protein a day!!! This seems to come up more and more for people looking to lose the last 10-15 lbs (which I am).

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish occasionally), and I'm careful to eat protein with almost every meal (beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa etc.), but I'm lucky if I can hit 80 grams in a day, and that's only on days when I have a high protein vegan shake for breakfast (approx. 30 grams of protein). Without the high protein shake (days where I generally have greek yogurt and high fiber cereal), I usually hover somewhere between 40-60 grams a day.

How in the world does someone eat 150 grams of protein in one day!!! Does that guideline even make sense for someone who doens't eat meat? What should I do?

Can anyone make any suggestions? Help from vegetarians AND non-vegetarians would be appreciated.

Replies

• chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    bump. I eat meat and I'm struggling with low protein. I'm anxious to know.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    it's called whey.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds, have maintained the loss, and have never had to eat that much protein to do so. I understand people eat that much protein for their fitness requirements, but by no means do you *have* to eat that much protein in order to lose the last 10-15 pounds.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Well vegetarian; cows ate grass, so inadvertently I am one too?
  • calisunrise
    Options
    bump

i have exact the same problem. i hardly ever go over 70g of protein even though i eat it with almost every meal
  • kubas_pl
    Options
    People, just start eating fish ! Lots of protein and little calories. I measn ofcourse boiled/coocked/grilled fishes without frying it :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think the distinction is 1gram per pound of Lean Body Mass....I have 144g of protein a day even though I weigh 268 because that's my lbm. I do drink a protein shake on days I lift, otherwise I wouldn't get enough.
  • TrishDLish81
    Options
    I always thought that it was 0.8 -1 gram per pound of *lean body mass,* not total body weight? Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

So everywhere I look, it says that people should be aiming to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of their body weight. That means I should be eating approx. 150 grams of protein a day!!! This seems to come up more and more for people looking to lose the last 10-15 lbs (which I am).

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish occasionally), and I'm careful to eat protein with almost every meal (beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa etc.), but I'm lucky if I can hit 80 grams in a day, and that's only on days when I have a high protein vegan shake for breakfast (approx. 30 grams of protein). Without the high protein shake (days where I generally have greek yogurt and high fiber cereal), I usually hover somewhere between 40-60 grams a day.

How in the world does someone eat 150 grams of protein in one day!!! Does that guideline even make sense for someone who doens't eat meat? What should I do?

Can anyone make any suggestions? Help from vegetarians AND non-vegetarians would be appreciated.

You simply don't need to, to be healthy.
    Here are the suggested amounts for macronutrients from Health Canada:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/reference/table/ref_macronutr_tbl-eng.php

Your range is about .8 grams/kg/day (kilogram)

Some people want more because they are trying to build lots of muscle. Hence the suggestion I hear on here is .8-1 gram per pound of lean body mass, not total weight.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It's usually 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass, not total weight. So if you are 150 lbs you would need to get a good guesstimate of your body fat % and subtract those lbs, then eat that many grams of protein.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    beans (raw soybeans excluded) and nuts are pathetic sources of protein...

Here's how I eat 225-250g of protein every day without supplements.

PBJ (or 2) for breakfast, 4-6 oz of meat around 10 AM, 6-8 oz of meat for lunch, 4-6 oz. mid afternoon, 6-12 oz for dinner, and some dairy after dinner (yogurt/milk/ice cream).

I eat fish, chicken, pork, and beef mainly for my meats.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time with protein too. I eat meat but not much and I can't have nuts at all, nor can I have dairy products (allergic to dairy NOT intolerant to lactose). Makes for an interesting challenge!!!
  • bee_elle
    bee_elle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Man these are some of the least helpful answers ever!! I do think the answers regarding lean body mass are correct. I'm also a vegetarian who eats fish and seafood occasionally. I am approx 126 lbs and try to eat between 80 and 100 grams of protein daily. The things that seem to help me are:

1. Eating either eggs or protein powder with breakfast (I use a rice protein that I like)
    2. Eating cheese, cottage cheese, and greek yogurt for snacks.

If I have eggs for breakfast sometimes I'll have a protein shake as a snack. I eat regular lunches/dinners and don't worry about having a ****load of protein in those.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As others posted above, a more common recommendation is 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass (which requires you to have a pretty good idea of your body fat percentage). For me, that's about 180g of protein a day. I can't offer any help from a vegetarian point of view since the majority of mine comes from meat, but you can supplement with protein powder (whey if you allow dairy products in your diet - otherwise, there are several varieties of vegetarian/vegan protein powders).
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That seems a little high to me but yesterday I had 52, the day before was 96 and the day before that was in the 90's too. I think the grams for a person is supposedly 47 per day but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, and quark are amazing sources of protein and very few calories. I have lots but I don't bother too much if I don't reach my daily limit, I just do as much as I can. A good balance of fat, carbs and protein is good enough for me.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always thought that it was 0.8 -1 gram per pound of *lean body mass,* not total body weight? Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I'm with you on this, I'm 180lb and 17% BF so I need 150g of protein (83% of 180lb, then 1g per lb). Even so I was in the same place as you and struggling to get enough, I've added low fat greek yogurt, skimmed milk (glass of), tinned sardines, tuna which I assume you can do as a veggie? I've also added a few more egg whites (can you?) and both protein shakes and bars when I don't have time for real food. I started this in Monday and have managed my 150g roughly everyday since.
  • corazo23
    Options
    its .8 per kg .. or .37 per lb apparently someone saw metric units and decided it was the same thing. You should be getting 10 to 35 % of your calories from lean protein
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    it's called whey.

No whey! haha sorry just had to say that :P

But umm... chicken + veg, biltong (which is basically dried out beef steak cut into slices sorta like jerky, but none of that processed junk... just pure beef...)

Honestly 1g/lb isn't bad.. I am about 135lbs and today I've had about 189g of protein without issue :/ maybe one shake... but that is all.. I just like the shakes taste, and I haven't even had dinner yet, so chances are my protein will be 200g+ by end today..
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Beans, greek yogurt, egg whites, protein powders, and my new favorite treat (or breakfast) is the Nature Valley Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar - it's a granola bar with whole peanuts in it and it has 10g of protein and tastes oh so good!