Protein help! 1 gram/lb seems impossible!

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. The protein requirements are blown totally out of proportion. Most people's bodies cannot process more than approx. 120g protein a day, and even that is for a very fit, elite athlete.

2. You cannot compare the protein content of a vegetable based source to a meat-based source. Your average serving of beef or chicken contains approx. 25g protein per serving. An equivalent amount of beans, seeds, or nuts, only contains about 10.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pray tell, where does the protein go?
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. The protein requirements are blown totally out of proportion. Most people's bodies cannot process more than approx. 120g protein a day, and even that is for a very fit, elite athlete.

2. You cannot compare the protein content of a vegetable based source to a meat-based source. Your average serving of beef or chicken contains approx. 25g protein per serving. An equivalent amount of beans, seeds, or nuts, only contains about 10.

Pray tell, where do the protein go?

maybe out of the poop hole? :laugh:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Two things:

Pray tell, where do the protein go?

maybe out of the poop hole? :laugh:

:laugh:

As an experienced bodybuilder, I can tell you that 0.36g/lb of body weight would see me losing lean body mass, hand over fist.

I'm sure I do poop someout tho, but not much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, I make a point of eating meat with every meal, and I keep peanuts at my desk at work. Sometimes I have a protein bar for lunch at work in lieu of meat. (depending on what I have available) As long as I do that, I never have any trouble getting protein in. I aim for a minimum of 72 grams and often get close to 100 grams.

Since you are a vegetarian, I highly recommend hemp seeds. When I was eating them on a regular basis, it bumped up my protein by 30 grams a day. They are easy to add to salads and such and contain all the EFAs. Spinach also has good protein count, so do eggs and dairy, if you can eat those.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Two things:

I'm curious what fit, elite athlete's you're referring to that cap out at 120 grams of protein a day.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Cook 4-6lbs of chicken breast on sunday.
    Thats lunch every day.
    Mix it in salads or on bread or with rice or with sweet potato.
    I normally will eat 12oz every day for lunch.
    Thats about 100g protein.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    beans (raw soybeans excluded) and nuts are pathetic sources of protein...

Here's how I eat 225-250g of protein every day without supplements.

PBJ (or 2) for breakfast, 4-6 oz of meat around 10 AM, 6-8 oz of meat for lunch, 4-6 oz. mid afternoon, 6-12 oz for dinner, and some dairy after dinner (yogurt/milk/ice cream).

I eat fish, chicken, pork, and beef mainly for my meats.

Very helpful for the vegetarian :noway:
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

As an experienced bodybuilder, I can tell you that 0.36g/lb of body weight would see me losing lean body mass, hand over fist.

I'm sure I do poop someout tho, but not much.

That's just rubbish. Since I know you've probably never tried eating that little, I'm betting your "evidence" is losing LBM at a MUCH higher protein intake...;)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

So everywhere I look, it says that people should be aiming to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of their body weight. That means I should be eating approx. 150 grams of protein a day!!! This seems to come up more and more for people looking to lose the last 10-15 lbs (which I am).

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish occasionally), and I'm careful to eat protein with almost every meal (beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa etc.), but I'm lucky if I can hit 80 grams in a day, and that's only on days when I have a high protein vegan shake for breakfast (approx. 30 grams of protein). Without the high protein shake (days where I generally have greek yogurt and high fiber cereal), I usually hover somewhere between 40-60 grams a day.

How in the world does someone eat 150 grams of protein in one day!!! Does that guideline even make sense for someone who doens't eat meat? What should I do?

Can anyone make any suggestions? Help from vegetarians AND non-vegetarians would be appreciated.

Start looking at the grams of protein per 100g/ percentage of protein/ how much of the calories come from protein and how much from fat or carbs - fish, nuts, seeds and hard cheese are rich in protein, some low fat soft cheeses are not too bad. But you have to eat a crazy amount of Greek yoghurt to get a decent amount because it's mostly water, most beans and lentils are relatively light on protein, you would do better viewing these as a carbohydrate source.

Oily fish is a great source of long chain omega-3s which play a key role in both health and weight management - maybe eat some more often? If you don't wish to do this start eating more seeds rich in short chain oemga-3s, ground flax and pumpkin for example. Bear in mind the conversion from short chain to the useable long chain format can be as low as 10% (tho is usually higher in those who eat healthy). Obviously either the fish or the seeds will supply you with protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Um, no. It was a question. I'm not sure why a question would need backing up. Unless you were in the study, study results won't answer my question. But the lack of an answer pretty much answers it.

Very cute but you know very well the proof source requested was for your assertion that Zangpakto's protein could cause kidney issues. Based on the subsequent study that was posted and in light of the fact you have posted nothing to indicate otherwise, it's clear you were wrong. Very simple.

No, not really. I never suggested the poster's diet could cause kidney issues for them. I only suggested that for some people eating very high protein, especially more grams of protein the total body weight in lbs, has the potential to cause kidney issues and ask how he knew it wasn't for him. At which time his panties went into an immediate wad.

And I wasn't wrong. Not everyone could safely eat that amount of protein. And I believe you all probably know that.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    beans (raw soybeans excluded) and nuts are pathetic sources of protein...

Here's how I eat 225-250g of protein every day without supplements.

PBJ (or 2) for breakfast, 4-6 oz of meat around 10 AM, 6-8 oz of meat for lunch, 4-6 oz. mid afternoon, 6-12 oz for dinner, and some dairy after dinner (yogurt/milk/ice cream).

I eat fish, chicken, pork, and beef mainly for my meats.

Very helpful for the vegetarian :noway:

Non vegetarians are reading this thread as well...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Um, no. It was a question. I'm not sure why a question would need backing up. Unless you were in the study, study results won't answer my question. But the lack of an answer pretty much answers it.

Very cute but you know very well the proof source requested was for your assertion that Zangpakto's protein could cause kidney issues. Based on the subsequent study that was posted and in light of the fact you have posted nothing to indicate otherwise, it's clear you were wrong. Very simple.

No, not really. I never suggested the poster's diet could cause kidney issues for them. I only suggested that for some people eating very high protein, especially more grams of protein the total body weight in lbs, has the potential to cause kidney issues and ask how he knew it wasn't for him. At which time his panties went into an immediate wad.

And I wasn't wrong. Not everyone could safely eat that amount of protein. And I believe you all probably know that.

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It would be vary hard for me too if I didn't eat meat. The protein sources you mentioned: beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa, are great but they all come with carbs.
    My suggestions is to increase the eggs and fish, add some dairy if you are not sensitive and whey or other protein powder.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    more meat, less carbs. and more FISH!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, its off of LBM; fat doesn't need protein, your muscles do.
    Also 1g/lb is an overestimation, don't worry too much if you're below it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Dietary protein intake and renal function. Nutrition & Metabolism 2005, 2:25 doi:10.1186/1743-7075-2-25
    Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.[

I'm not sure of your point here. Are you suggesting,I should have assumed the poster had a healthy kidney(s) to begin with and/or that a lack of research made kidney damage impossible even if he didn't???
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    bump

i have exact the same problem. i hardly ever go over 70g of protein even though i eat it with almost every meal

same same same
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It would be vary hard for me too if I didn't eat meat. The protein sources you mentioned: beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa, are great but they all come with carbs.
    My suggestions is to increase the eggs and fish, add some dairy if you are not sensitive and whey or other protein powder.

What's wrong with carbs?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Conclusion

A similar link has already been posted. Some people find being right more important than the research that conflicts with that truth, unfortunately those same people find obscure out of date research to support their confirmation bias, kinda like what Taubes does........