Protein help! 1 gram/lb seems impossible!

Options

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

None of that answers the question. I didn't "cite" anything and never suggested that it was causing you issues. I simply asked how you knew it wasn't. It would be a good idea for anyone eating that much protein to be monitored by a doctor (as athletes are).

It does, just read it again... Maybe you missed it and went straight into attack mode because of a persons different views. I
    mentioned a few critical points on WHY I don't and how I know. It is all there :)
    Eating more protein than your body can use causes extra work for your kidneys. Extra work for any organ can lead to problems. Don't monitor if you don't want. Intuition is probably the best method here. Why bother with silly medical tests?

Why bother with silly tests? Excuse me? Didn't your post entry 2 posts ago say you should be medically supervised? Which by extension would include tests?

Make up your mind...

Either way, I still stand by what I said, I work harder than your average gym person by far, and my protein requirement is above and beyond normal for that reason hence the difference and how I need to monitor. I mean I saw the new year resolution posts, and the fitness goals most have set, I have no issue doing right now with no effort ... pull-ups? bring em on, pushups? them too, running 5km? That at moment I'm aiming to be under 20m in early jan and by end next year want close to 15-16m... Running a marathon.. umm I'm running almost twice that distance in my one race next year (Essentially finishing a marathon, then turning around and running back to the start)... So done that.. there is only a few here and there I haven't met myself. Mostly the weight ones, but I surf, and only do upper body to assist with that, I cycle, and run, and want to start swimming so can do a full ironman also.

Reasons why I am fine, sure, you can check my earlier post, either way why would I check for something that isn't an issue? I think me drinking so much a week is of more concern to my health than eating so much protein lol!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Eating more protein than your body can use causes extra work for your kidneys. Extra work for any organ can lead to problems. Don't monitor if you don't want. Intuition is probably the best method here. Why bother with silly medical tests?

So, in other words just your opinion with nothing to back it up? Thanks for playing.

If you come up with any data that indicates this has ever been a probelm that has been documented with atheletes, who as you say are closely monitored, feel free to share. If this was an issue, someone would have studied it by now and there would be some documentation.

To suggest there are health probelms associated with this level of protein intake without proof is fear mongering. Plain and simple.
    Here is some research although it seems nothing is conclusive:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/886.full
    Interestingly, it was suggested that amino acids are the most important source of gluconeogenesis, and thus amino acid catabolism may have a much greater effect on energy equilibrium than has been thought previously (Jungas et al. 1992, Reeds et al. 1998). In a 50- to 75- y-old Caucasian population, a daily increment of 0.1 g protein · kg−1 was associated with an increased risk for microalbuminuria, which is a predictor of renal and cardiovascular disease (Hoogeveen et al. 1998). A 1 SD-increase of protein intake increased the risk of diabetes by 38% in an aboriginal community in Canada (Wolever et al. 1997). That amino acids may contribute to insulin resistance was concluded from results of a recent study in myotube cells (Patti et al. 1998).
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options

So, in other words just your opinion with nothing to back it up? Thanks for playing.

If you come up with any data that indicates this has ever been a probelm that has been documented with atheletes, who as you say are closely monitored, feel free to share. If this was an issue, someone would have studied it by now and there would be some documentation.

To suggest there are health probelms associated with this level of protein intake without proof is fear mongering. Plain and simple.
    Here is some research although it seems nothing is conclusive:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/886.full
    Interestingly, it was suggested that amino acids are the most important source of gluconeogenesis, and thus amino acid catabolism may have a much greater effect on energy equilibrium than has been thought previously (Jungas et al. 1992, Reeds et al. 1998). In a 50- to 75- y-old Caucasian population, a daily increment of 0.1 g protein · kg−1 was associated with an increased risk for microalbuminuria, which is a predictor of renal and cardiovascular disease (Hoogeveen et al. 1998). A 1 SD-increase of protein intake increased the risk of diabetes by 38% in an aboriginal community in Canada (Wolever et al. 1997). That amino acids may contribute to insulin resistance was concluded from results of a recent study in myotube cells (Patti et al. 1998).

Our culture where I am lives on biltong when we can get it, if we can eat it all day, we would without thinking and it hasn't affected us.

Chinese have different genetics and upbringing, aboriginal community? C'mon, where is the typical caucasian? Where is the study on athletes? On body builders? Did they throw that data out in order to prove a point? That is the issues I have with biased studies.

At least your trying to put an educated answer though :)

Also gluconeogenesis isn't actually all that bad in latest research at least. The research you quoted from is from the 90's still, there is always continued studies in different subject matter that over time they evolve :)

And that system that apparently was causing the issue because of increased synthesis of glycogen from protein is the same system that helps long distance runners, and getting efficient in using that system is one of the ways to increase endurance and speed before race day arrives :)

Oh yea, not on topic at all but... has anyone else got a binary clock? I love mine :D confuses the heck out of clients and even some techs at work lol! And I think they look awesome... :D

EDIT

Just wanted to say, I monitor and get checked by doctors because of history of being born with holes in heart (which thankfully a good few years later closed, but can never be too careful), being underweight severely most of childhood, family history of high cholesterol, and high blood pressure and a host of other things I can't be bothered bringing up. So before I sign up for stage events or ultras, I get my body checked out and given the OK, then mid way through training he same. Sometimes it is twice a year, sometimes it is 6 times a year I get checked out sometimes more, just depends on race schedule... I mean, I'd rather be safe than sorry considering my history you know?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence?

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    High-Protein Weight Loss Diets and Purported Adverse Effects: Where is the Evidence?

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45

Interesting! Thanks for the info. From the study:

"Despite its role in nitrogen excretion, there are presently no data in the scientific literature demonstrating the healthy kidney will be damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). Furthermore, real world examples support this contention since kidney problems are nonexistent in the bodybuilding community in which high-protein intake has been the norm for over half a century.[3] Recently, Walser published comprehensive review on protein intake and renal function, which states: "it is clear that protein restriction does not prevent decline in renal function with age, and, in fact, is the major cause of that decline. A better way to prevent the decline would be to increase protein intake. there is no reason to restrict protein intake in healthy individuals in order to protect the kidney."[4] "

Much more than just an opinion based on speculation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Um, no. It was a question. I'm not sure why a question would need backing up. Unless you were in the study, study results won't answer my question. But the lack of an answer pretty much answers it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Um, no. It was a question. I'm not sure why a question would need backing up. Unless you were in the study, study results won't answer my question. But the lack of an answer pretty much answers it.

Very cute but you know very well the proof source requested was for your assertion that Zangpakto's protein could cause kidney issues. Based on the subsequent study that was posted and in light of the fact you have posted nothing to indicate otherwise, it's clear you were wrong. Very simple.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Honestly 1g/lb isn't bad.. I am about 135lbs and today I've had about 189g of protein without issue :/

How do you know it was without issue? How can tell whether this much protein is slowly damaging your kidneys?
    Annual bloodwork will show this. I have averaged somewhere between 150-250g/day for the last year (at ~130-140 lbs) with 0 issue. This is something that you should ABSOLUTELY be having checked at your annual physical every year anyway. It would take a truly ludicrous amount of protein intake to see any issues in someone with otherwise intact kidney function, and for people with poor kidney function there are almost always bigger issues than protein intake to address first, e.g. adequate fluid intake.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Honestly 1g/lb isn't bad.. I am about 135lbs and today I've had about 189g of protein without issue :/

How do you know it was without issue? How can tell whether this much protein is slowly damaging your kidneys?
    Annual bloodwork will show this. I have averaged somewhere between 150-250g/day for the last year (at ~130-140 lbs) with 0 issue. This is something that you should ABSOLUTELY be having checked at your annual physical every year anyway. It would take a truly ludicrous amount of protein intake to see any issues in someone with otherwise intact kidney function, and for people with poor kidney function there are almost always bigger issues than protein intake to address first, e.g. adequate fluid intake.

what he said.
  • thart1991
    thart1991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You don't need 1 gram per pound... Look up some of the actual scientific studies. High protein is beneficial but having that much doesn't do anything. Can't believe everything you read people.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Protein plays a major role in sparing lean body mass when at a caloric deficit (along with resistance training), and provides several advantages for weight loss, including an advantageous thermic effect of food compared to other macronutrients, and better satiety.

For people eating at maintenance and not weight training, the RDA is typically adequate.
    For people eating at a deficit OR weight training, 1g/lb lean body mass is almost certainly adequate.
    For people both eating at a deficit AND weight training, 1.3g/lb LBM will provide additional muscle sparing benefit (the typical quoted range is 1-1.5g/lb, which I myself have quoted in the past. This is actually 2.2-2.8g/kg, which equates to 1-1.3g/lb, for anyone who cares).

I order to get this quantity of protein, the following sources are, in my experience, the 'easiest' way to do so:
    protein powder (not very filling, which can be a pro or a con)
    meat
    egg whites
    eggs

For vegans:
    protein powder (brown rice, hemp, and soy are all options)
    textured vegetable protein
    lots of lentils and/or chickpeas
    beans
    nuts (high in fat)

If you make getting adequate protein the first goal towards which you allocate your daily calories, you should have no problem hitting it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You don't need 1 gram per pound... Look up some of the actual scientific studies. High protein is beneficial but having that much doesn't do anything. Can't believe everything you read people.

These aren't bad reads....you know....peer reviewed studies. They all indicate that higher protein is beneficial

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16046715

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10838463

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17299116
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have no problem getting 120g a day, often more and do not use protein powder that much. My diary is open (ignore today, I was sabotaged by workplace pastries :wink: ).

My 'go to's' are:

- greek yoghurt
    - milk
    - 'fake meats made from soy. seitan or quorn
    - fresh or dried edamame
    - whey when needed

Also relatively good are:
    - quinoa
    - lentils
    - nutritional yeast
    - hemp seeds
    - eggs
  • thart1991
    Options
    Yep high protein diets are great. But there's a certain amount that it stops being beneficial and just becomes extra. It's obviously fine to consume that much but becomes unnecessary after a certain amount. Which I believe I read was less than a gram per pound of body weight but i'd have to find the article. Unfortunately I have to get up early to lift so not tonight :/
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    it's called whey.
    Straight to the point.
  • thart1991
    Options
    jfsajfklasjfa nvm. I'll have to find the one i found.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to re-read all the previous posts, sorry if I am repeating anything. My surgeon told me the following rule (I had weight loss surgery, so protein is my number 1)... the minimum protein you should get is your IDEAL weight in KILOGRAMS. If you go over, bonus. My aim is for 75 grams a day. On my workout days, I aim for as much as possible lol. I can just hit over 100 on those days.

Hope that helps :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So everywhere I look, it says that people should be aiming to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of their body weight.

It is actually one gram of protein per one kilogram of body weight which equals out to be about 0.4 grams per pound. So, if you weigh 150 pounds, then your protein grams should be around 60 grams per day. So, you are on target.

As a general rule, between 10 percent and 15 percent of your total calories should come from protein according to the Weight Management Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

Just want to clarify a point here re: bolded bit- That may be true *for you* but for me 1 g/ lb lean body mass is between .75 and 0.8 grams per pound. It depends on your body fat percentage.

Also, I disagree with 10-15% protein. I don't really believe in macro percentages at all, but 10-15% should be considered a minimum, IMO. Many people here do very well with 25-40% of their calories from protein.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

So everywhere I look, it says that people should be aiming to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of their body weight. That means I should be eating approx. 150 grams of protein a day!!! This seems to come up more and more for people looking to lose the last 10-15 lbs (which I am).

I'm a vegetarian (I eat fish occasionally), and I'm careful to eat protein with almost every meal (beans, tofu, greek yogurt, eggs, fish, quinoa etc.), but I'm lucky if I can hit 80 grams in a day, and that's only on days when I have a high protein vegan shake for breakfast (approx. 30 grams of protein). Without the high protein shake (days where I generally have greek yogurt and high fiber cereal), I usually hover somewhere between 40-60 grams a day.

How in the world does someone eat 150 grams of protein in one day!!! Does that guideline even make sense for someone who doens't eat meat? What should I do?

Can anyone make any suggestions? Help from vegetarians AND non-vegetarians would be appreciated.

supplementation. Whey protein is made from dairy. If you're really conscientious about these things, then Optimum Nutrition has a Soy Protein product you can try. Amount of protein/lb varies from person to person. This number can be affected by gender, genetics, body composition, body fat percentage, metabolic efficiency etc. Do your own research, don't rely on MFP forums for most answers. In fact don't rely on MFP forums for any answers. Refer to peer reviewed studies and articles.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yep high protein diets are great. But there's a certain amount that it stops being beneficial and just becomes extra. It's obviously fine to consume that much but becomes unnecessary after a certain amount. Which I believe I read was less than a gram per pound of body weight but i'd have to find the article. Unfortunately I have to get up early to lift so not tonight :/

I would rather be safe than sorry considering that studies show that amounts higher than the FDA recommendations are beneficial and are particularly beneficial for people at a calorie deficit and who engage in intensive exercise. Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition, why not be safe? Also, it is satiating and has a higher tef that the other macros.