How to deflect bullying?

Options

Replies

• Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been getting bullied. She will come to me crying about it because she is so upset. I finally had enough and went to have a chat with the mother. Which sadly, the mother didn't give a ****. I ended up making the kid cry because I told them that they needed to cut the crap and stop. We've had issues with this family for a few months now. The son will punch my son. My son is 3 years younger. My son has come home with red marks all over his body. I don't know how to handle it anymore.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with the posters who have suggested martial arts. Not because he needs to know how to fight - trying that will just get him ganged up on, but because a good class with a good teacher will get him a ton of self confidence and just the way he carries himself might be a deterent to the bullies.

Avoid karate or kung fu though. Send him to Judo or Ju Jitsu or aikido or some other form of grappling art. They will be much more immediately applicable if he does get into a physical altercation. If he tries a striking art like Karate or kung fu in a playground brawl without years of practice he'll likely get hurt.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    My daughter has been getting bullied. She will come to me crying about it because she is so upset. I finally had enough and went to have a chat with the mother. Which sadly, the mother didn't give a ****. I ended up making the kid cry because I told them that they needed to cut the crap and stop. We've had issues with this family for a few months now. The son will punch my son. My son is 3 years younger. My son has come home with red marks all over his body. I don't know how to handle it anymore.
    Well, that goes from being bullying to assault. Since the school isn't doing anything, it's time to get law enforcement involved. Plus, as stated by several, get him in karate, so this won't happen to him again.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Having been on both sides as a kid (and as a father), I'd suggest this approach, in order:

(1) tell him to use the snappy come backs suggested above (which are great!) and give him a few more,

(2) role play bullying situations with him so he develops some skills in wit and defusing fights,

(3) if the older kid escalates or doesn't stop then go to the administrators (quickly), and

(4) get the kid in wrestling/boxing/martial arts classes.

As to (4) I'm absolutely not suggesting he ever start a fight but boys are boys and it is very likely to happen at some point. Giving him the physical self confidence to take care of himself will spill over and allow him to walk away most of the time. And, if he's ever pushed to the wall then the other kid learns a painful lesson. And yes even a bully 3 years older than him will back away most times if he finds that your son will stand his ground. Bullies are looking for easy targets and often have their own emotional issues.

^^^ THIS.

Especially the self-defense classes. I have a friend who put both of his sons in Wrestling for this reason. They will not start a fight but they know exactly how to react when someone comes at them -- they even know how to subdue that person without causing injury.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm in agreement with the posters who have suggested martial arts. Not because he needs to know how to fight - trying that will just get him ganged up on, but because a good class with a good teacher will get him a ton of self confidence and just the way he carries himself might be a deterent to the bullies.

Avoid karate or kung fu though. Send him to Judo or Ju Jitsu or aikido or some other form of grappling art. They will be much more immediately applicable if he does get into a physical altercation. If he tries a striking art like Karate or kung fu in a playground brawl without years of practice he'll likely get hurt.
    I'm in agreement with most of your statement. Even though karate and Kung Fu are striking arts, most reputable schools teach self defense as well as basic strikes to beginners. Actually, most people recommend Karate over a grappling art, for the opposite reason in which you stated.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Well, that goes from being bullying to assault. Since the school isn't doing anything, it's time to get law enforcement involved. Plus, as stated by several, get him in karate, so this won't happen to him again.
    With my kids, it all happens outside of school, in our neighborhood. My son is only 4 and this kid is almost 7. My daughter is 6. The kid that my daughter has issues with, has been telling my daughter that I am stupid. I had a neighbor hear her say it. I'm happy because they are moving soon.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My son dealt with this for years from a group of boys. I even brought him to a counselor bc of it where we learned things he could do or say. Even visited the school principal & got detention for some of the boys. All to no avail.

Finally one day in 6th gr he had enough & hauled off & kicked the ringleader in the nuts so hard it brought the guy to his knees. This happened at the bus stop in front of much of the school but more importantly in front of the other bullies. He told the boy there was more if he wanted it lol!! The boy was on the ground & couldnt stand up.

No one has bothered him since & he's now in 10th gr. Not to suggest to resort to violence but defending oneself can be a different matter. I think it's just something boys go through as a rite of passage I guess.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Aw, poor kid.

I agree with the martial arts things. Not to pick fights or anything, but it can really help build confidence. Just KNOWING that you can defend yourself if needed can be a great boost to one's confidence.

Aside from that I'd sit down and explain to him that kids are sometimes very mean, and that it might make him sad or angry, but it's not true, and that he is NOT ugly.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    If your are physically bullied.... Best thing to say is "no, no, no, dont do that......

You'll give me an erection!"
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    If your son got called ugly by an older kid, one time, I wouldn't even worry about it. Teach him not to be too sensitive and that people can be as$holes sometimes.

No point in making a big deal about it.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Tell him next time the kid says it to respond with, "well your mom didn't think I was ugly last night." Problem solved. No need to thank me.

In 7th grade I met my first true enemy, Mike Friend.

Home EC class. We were assigned to the same group project. I didnt like what he had created so I stated, "thats ugly, do it over"

His response: "You're ugly, tell your mom to do it over"

I hated him for WEEKS untill he told me he had the biggest crush on me and continued to untll highscool, we are now good friends :)

** OP agree, sit him down, explain that it is part of growing up. Also get him involved in sports, etc. that will help with Selfesteem

Lol, but YOU were the instigator in that exchange :P He did what everyone here's suggesting and comeback with something funny.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Tell him next time the kid says it to respond with, "well your mom didn't think I was ugly last night." Problem solved. No need to thank me.

I retract my previous opinion. Do this.

So full of win. If he can make others laugh, It ceases to be a problem. Plus, if other kids see it doesn't bother him, they'll go pick on someone else.
  • firstsip
    Options
    We're all recommending things to you OP, but I had quite a long talk about this with my high school aged sister a week or two ago.

Whatever your kid's personality, help him tap into what works best for him. Is your son usually quite, pensive? Martial arts probably would work great... similarly if he has issues with anger or anxiety.

Is your kid generally more social (outside of the fact that he's just moved)? Tap into the "response" method... a joke, a comeback, whatever.

As a big talker (if no one can tell on these forums), I grew up with tons of bullying and I figured out that giving them an unexpected response does wonders. Any kid, especially an older kid, that would say something like, "You're ugly" is looking for a set response: anger or sadness.

Having gotten that exact comment, multiple times, from older kids, I started cheerfully saying, "Thank you!" I can almost guarantee a slack jawed response with little return, or a sudden warming of the kid to you.

But ultimately, working WITH your kids character instead of against it will set him up for future strength.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options

A 3rd grader can't say that... :P
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Teach your child to grow some skin. Seriously...stand up for name calling? I'm sure you can give him some witty pointers on how to move beyond.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

A 3rd grader can't say that... :P

Change "Mom" to "Sister"
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    long ago that what i heard my friends dad's telling my friend when we was in first grad,

my friend: dad the kid hitted me

DAD: did u hit him back?!

my friend: NO :(

DAD: next time when u come home you tell me dad he hitted me in the eye and i poked his both eyes out

My Friend: ok dad :)

next day appearently the dad recieved a call from school and when he went there

DAD: what Happened?!

Teacher: ur son hitted the poor guy so bad and he is crying

DAD: thats my son

Teacher: what?!!!!

DAD: he hitted him and he hitted him back, im rasing him to be a man to stand a against the world when he is right and when he is protecting him self and others close to him, im not raising him to be a P*****!!!!

Teacher: sir thats not acceptable blah blah

DAD: whatever

and my friend never got bullied again in his life and he always fought back and he is a civil engineer now xD

OOOOOOOOOOH GOD i miss 80's and 90's
  • firstsip
    Options
    long ago that what i heard my friends dad's telling my friend when we was in first grad,

DAD: next time when u come home you tell me dad he hitted me in the eye and i poked his both eyes out

DAD: he hitted him and he hitted him back, im rasing him to be a man to stand a against the world when he is right and when he is protecting him self and others close to him, im not raising him to be a P*****!!!!

and my friend never got bullied again in his life and he always fought back and he is a civil engineer now xD

I think the Teacher should have spent more time on English.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options

dude my english sucks, just live with it :)
  • firstsip
    Options

dude my english sucks, just live with it :)

I was speaking more of the third grader :laugh: