Women get BULKY from LIFTING HEAVY?!?!

Options

Replies

• cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Amen.

Truthfully, I suck at losing weight. I yo-yo all over the place.

But you know what? My body looks better than it ever has.

Wanna know why? Weights. Heavy ones. You pick em' up, and put em' back down.

This last year I fell in love with lifting and it shows. My body composition has changed drastically. I've even watched cellulite disappear...I kid you not!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    FYI

Lots of women consider the ones on the right to be "bulky" (not me)

The sticking point is how different people perceive bulky.

True.

BUT what is annoying is when people say they "got bulky" without posting pics of themselves. In their head, just a little muscle definition could mean bulky, but to another woman listening or reading this statement, they may get scared from the weights because they think they'll end up bulky too (bulky in their head may mean like a male lifter!)

Well honestly... if you can't think critically about things you read from random people on the internet....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Eh... They are all lovely women but none of them have the body I want. I like being soft. :) (I'm not saying this ignorantly, and I'm not insinuating those women aren't soft, this is just a statement about how I, personally, like MY body).

Honestly, I like looking a little softer, too.

But without lifting, I was soft, smushy, and droopy, and with lifting, I'm soft, yet firm and perky. Before, I was like those leather couches at the Olive Garden, where you sink down into the stuffing and can't get up. Now, I'm like a memory foam mattress. :laugh:

It's all a matter of body fat percentage.

A wild 'common sense' appeared!

*throws pokeball*

HOLY CRAP! YOU'RE RIGHT! COMMON SENSE! IN THIS FORUM!? :noway:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    It's like you're not allowed to be a part of this community unless you lift heavy...

Like lifting heavy is mandatory in order to achieve any results...

Really?

:huh:

Gets old doesn't it?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Eh... They are all lovely women but none of them have the body I want. I like being soft. :) (I'm not saying this ignorantly, and I'm not insinuating those women aren't soft, this is just a statement about how I, personally, like MY body).

You're in luck - being soft takes no effort at all! (at least for me...) Now being strong, on the other hand... :flowerforyou:
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't want a channing tatum body.

I want a Marylin Monroe bod.

BRING ON THAT 36 - 34 - 36!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I turned into a man when I started lifting. True story.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I turned into a man when I started lifting. True story.

Lies - you're actually that cat on the left (who coincidentally looks just like my kitty, Mr. Cash. Aww. :heart: )
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

You're in luck - being soft takes no effort at all! (at least for me...) Now being strong, on the other hand... :flowerforyou:

Hee hee. I'm going to defy all logic and be soft strong. Oh yeah. See if you can stop me. :P
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Little do you realize Marilyn lifted weights to stay in shape. So much for that theory :drinker:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I bulk. My exH used to hate it, because he would go to extremes to bulk while I had to be very careful to avoid it. We had different genetics, that's it. No two people are the same. And just like he and I were different, no two women are the same. "Women can't bulk" is ridiculous blanket statement to throw out there. I'm sick of hearing it.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the greatest thing I could ever do. :love:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    FYI

Lots of women consider the ones on the right to be "bulky" (not me)

The sticking point is how different people perceive bulky.

People who hang out with bodybuilders are going to have a way different view of what bulky is compared to people who hang out with runway models.

This only upsets you people because you let it.

^^This is exactly it. We are all operating with different ideas of what "bulky" means and a lot of women percieve any curve to the muscle, to be "bulky". I think that is where this entire argument get skewed.

I've shared this article many times, but it still bears repeating. Leigh Peele took some polls and wrote up several posts about it. I think it is pretty fascinating, to be quite honest, and it has opened my eyes to the various perceptions that we all get twisted about.

http://www.leighpeele.com/bulky-muscles-and-training-females-the-definition

The video clips in that article are rage-worthy.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    help,
    the more I workout the bulkier my backside gets!

oh no

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBNSy5lZl9BXPXMAHYFNK-dhAHI-fUdfrdSnbUm3eFGL7ULpdDWw

:laugh:
    as if a flat butt is attractive?
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Little do you realize Marilyn lifted weights to stay in shape. So much for that theory :drinker:
    Because she posed in a photo with some dumbbells? I guess that she was also a professional cattle roper because she posed in a cowboy hat once too. Her use of weights in exercise has never been substantiated, and would certainly not be consistent with the norms of the time.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I think they all look bulky. Husband said the same thing. I guess it is just what ya like... or don't.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Sorry, but I bulk. My exH used to hate it, because he would go to extremes to bulk while I had to be very careful to avoid it. We had different genetics, that's it. No two people are the same. And just like he and I were different, no two women are the same. "Women can't bulk" is ridiculous blanket statement to throw out there. I'm sick of hearing it.

Your subjective view of bulking is one thing. Scientifically, though, it's very likely you're not actually "bulking." You need an excessive amount of calories to produce more muscle, and/or excessive testosterone. Do some women have issues with testosterone? Yes. But generally, as others have pointed out in this and other threads, it's often a balance of too little body fat making women look "too bulky" for themselves, not an issue of too much muscle.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Are Jamie Eason's tits real?
    I would have to feel them to tell. They're quite convincing.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and was damn happy to see my triceps through my sweater today! And yeah I get comments from guys at the gym that I should take it easy so I don't get too bulky. Mostly because they hate that I'm 5' 0" and can kick their *kitten*! :laugh:
  • firstsip
    Options

I think you mean 24...