Tall, Perfect bmi but I look OBESE why!???

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Get your body fat percentage checked and work on lowering that and not just focussing on weight.
  • Wow I never thought weights/strength training would help so it avoided it, probably my biggest mistake then by the sounds of it! The reason I was feeling so frustrated is that I am doing well with dieting and losing weight but I look just the same! I appreciate all the help, deffo gonna try weights.
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    You either have a high body fat percentage or a really disordered view of your body. Lift weights, forget the scale. You are at a healthy weight already.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    You probably mean skinny fat.. which is a valid concern. Others already gave good advice on working out etc. Up your protein, do some cardio and start lifting if you haven't already. Changing body comp might take time but the results in both looks and wellness are worth it :) Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    <~ Im 5'10" 165 & 22% body fat, small skeletal frame (wrist 5" or so)

tumblr_mekdjiCdDO1qffloyo1_r1_500.jpg

Im not obese because my muscles are solid rock.
    My clothes dont cut into my skin- they rest against it.
    I dont have to dread the gym cause my visits having nothing to do with those cardio machines.
    I dont barely jiggle anymore,
    I can jump higher, dance lower and im mentally and emotionally stronger.
    Cause I pick up things that weigh more than I do.

This whole disconnect between people looking completely different at the same height and weight... .this is what we are always screaming about.

You want to lose weight? restrict your diet.
    wanna look good naked? Exercise.

Exercise = Cardio, Strength Training, Agility, Flexibility

not cardio only

unless you want that disconnect and always wondering why you reached the magic number on the scale but you still arent at all happy with your body.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    btw, i'd like to point out that every one has some fat, especially around the midsection. you need that to survive.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Lift weights at a deficit and work on your self perception of your body.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    where is Yoovie???

sadly, she is not on the forums tonight. All day long of trying to convince others that:

1. lifting is good
    2. you will not bulk up like a man
    3. gaining muscle is good

tired her out. I understand why, it's hard giving the same good advice only to be rejected or undermined by some noob who suggests raspberry ketones........
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    HEY there she is :)
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    For another story about heavy lifting and looking awesome, check out Staci:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Stella_Leigh
    Stella_Leigh Posts: 189 Member
    This is a body image issue that originates in your brain. It's not what other people see.

This. :flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Stop. Just. Stop.

And then go see a professional. The problem isn't in your body, it is in your perception. Nothing any of us strangers on the internet say is gonna make it better. So don't ask us. Just stop.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    i think you may have some issues with body image, if your 5'10 at 155 pounds you think your obese, what am i then" im 5'8 and 160 pounds in no way i t hink im obese" , im a size 14/some 12 , i lift and run/walk heaps, im alot tighter all over , ive lost inches cos of lifting and cardio.
    Lift weights youll be suprised what results youll experience:)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    rather than having skin tight to my bones
    this would require an eating disorder..

not actually true, my skin is against my bones.
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    body fat percentage can mean a lot. try building up muscle if you're happy at your current weight but want to look more toned.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    rather than having skin tight to my bones
    this would require an eating disorder..

not actually true, my skin is against my bones.
    Because you're fit, not just the 'correct' BMI :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Yuuup, that's your problem. If you wanna fix it you need to do cardio exercies and strength trainign that targets your legs to tone them up. Just be patient and keep at it...it takes time but it'll give you results

yes, this! Diet alone will make you lose weight but exercise is what will make you firm...cardio and weights, my friend
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    I'm 6' and hover around 152-155. You don't look even close to obese. The others are right - lift. Lift heavy. You will be shocked at what it can do in terms of body composition. Today, at 32, I'm a size 6 at 155. When I was in high school, I was 155 and a size 10. I was an athlete and pretty fit, but didn't lift heavy. I am definitely an advocate for lifting. Give it a few months and you'll be shocked. Good luck!!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Is this real? Or one of those stupidly snarky posts? I can't tell anymore.
  • Please help! I'm 5'10 155 pounds and I just look so fat! When I see other girls my height and weight they look so skinny without much fat to grab at all but I have big thighs and hips, not big bones just pure fat! Even at my lowest weight of 125 I had this fat on my legs. So why is this? Do I have like stupidly small bones or something? My silhouette looks so slim but I'm not at all, even my knees are fat. So how can I fix this? Do I need to exercise more? I hope you can understand what I mean coz I feel like the only person who can be so tall have a low weight and STILL look fat! Had to get that off my chest lol

I creep your profile

32491343_4192-1.jpg

you do not look fat

I'm going to add a picture of my stomach to show you what I mean, please be kind as I had a baby three months ago and am very self conscious but I feel like I'll only be able to get honest help if you understand what I mean by slim but fat lol