"You're so lucky,,,"

Options
Jonesie86
Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
Has anyone ever said that to you about being in shape, losing weight or the way you look in general? "You're so lucky you're skinny..it's just so easy for you..." I'm so lucky? So easy? Yes..I was so lucky that one day I watched a P90X infomercial, called and ordered it, stopped making excuses, peeled myself outta bed every effin day sore muscles and all and gave it everything I had. So lucky that I started shopping and eating different, that the 9 inches I lost just fell off with no effort (factious). I had the drive, determination and dedication to change something I didn't like. Last I checked, that was called willpower - not luck.

Sorry...I just hate when people are sitting on their *kitten* elbow deep in a Lay's chip bag drinking Coca-cola telling me "how lucky I am"....

Replies

• FightingFox
    Options
    Wish there was a like button.... great post Jonesie
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Never heard that per-say but I've heard "Why do you worry about your calories? You are so thin!" Hunny I wasn't always thin, in fact I use to be 250 lbs at 5'3 height, that's so far obese it isn't funny. I use to make my scale scream "OH ****!" lol...
  • DS04
    DS04 Posts: 48
    Options
    Good post. I never heard anyone say that to me though....LOL.
  • kmkgurl
    kmkgurl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ive heard people say this and i totally agree with you.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    No, but when I was in elementary school, I told my best friend that I was jealous that she was so fat because it would keep her warmer in winter. And I meant it.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    agreed...or when people say just eat a burger, you totally can because ur skinny! sure i can, but fact is i dont want too, been there done that. (plus im vegan hehe.)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    all my RL friends think i am just 'naturally skinny'... i just smile and nod as i cant be bothered trying to explain that i watch what i eat and work out regularly... they dont get it!

thats why i love MFP so much, cos you people do get it!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The several hours of work in a gym and careful eating year round makes me lucky...
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of times..normally from my heavy sister..but she honestly thinks its fluke..and that I don't workout like a demon to achieve my shape :noway:
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    One of my friends even said it was my genetics! HA!! biggest insult to my dedication and commitment i have ever received.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Not lucky, but many people told me the weight was 'falling off me'.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Not lucky, but many people told me the weight was 'falling off me'.

And of course it had nothing to do with watching your calories intake and exercising ;)
  • muchmoretolove
    muchmoretolove Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i agree but sometimes i wouldn't look too into it. people do say that sort of thing to be nice, or when they don't know what to say. it's not really obvious that a harmless statement like that could offend somebody. or what they really mean is that you are lucky because you have what they don't and they are envious because they want it; they don't always literally mean "you're so lucky and you had to do nothing for it whilst it's so hard on me because i don't do anything and just expect it to happen". just take it as a compliment and keep doing what you're doing because they don't have to appreciate it either.
  • muchmoretolove
    muchmoretolove Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    also, they might be implying that you're lucky to have the determination and self-mindedness to achieve and sustain something that so many people struggle with.
  • JustMireMe
    Options
    Don't let the whales put you down
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    best thing I ever heard after loosing a couple of lbs: I really want and need to loose weight too! (while shoving choco candybars into her mouth!)

No I am nowhere where I need to be, but that is very obvious not the way to start eating healthy or loosing weight!
    *shaking heads*
    People have funny views sometimes!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    best thing I ever heard after loosing a couple of lbs: I really want and need to loose weight too! (while shoving choco candybars into her mouth!)

No I am nowhere where I need to be, but that is very obvious not the way to start eating healthy or loosing weight!
    *shaking heads*
    People have funny views sometimes!

OMG! SOOO this!! That's been happening to me a lot lately. Drives me insane.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    So, the person that told you how lucky you were....were they really saying this while sitting on a couch with lays and coke in their hand or are u just making a generalization of "fat" people???
  • ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people get offended so easily. It's one thing when a person means harm, but otherwise, it's just silly. Say thank you, or laugh and say "not lucky, just dedicated", and then move on.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    People are quick to discount hard work and dedication. It makes them feel better about not even trying. My sister even says things like "you wouldn't know because you've never been fat." She's seen the old me and knows that isn't the truth, but she still says it. All. The. Time. The important thing is you know how much hard work you put in.