"You're so lucky,,,"

Options

Replies

• Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When I get to my desired weight I'm just going to carry a picture of me at my heaviest, before I started working out. Then I'll tell them, you can be as lucky as me. You just need to make the right choices.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever said that to you about being in shape, losing weight or the way you look in general? "You're so lucky you're skinny..it's just so easy for you..." I'm so lucky? So easy? Yes..I was so lucky that one day I watched a P90X infomercial, called and ordered it, stopped making excuses, peeled myself outta bed every effin day sore muscles and all and gave it everything I had. So lucky that I started shopping and eating different, that the 9 inches I lost just fell off with no effort (factious). I had the drive, determination and dedication to change something I didn't like. Last I checked, that was called willpower - not luck.

Sorry...I just hate when people are sitting on their *kitten* elbow deep in a Lay's chip bag drinking Coca-cola telling me "how lucky I am"....

Yup my mother-in-law has been driving me crazy with this. So about 2 years ago she started doing rounds of HCG and I started counting calories. Her weight loss was immediate and she went down about 40 lbs. But ever since then she's been gaining 20 lbs, ordering another round of shots and losing it again, repeat.

Meanwhile I've been losing slowly. I took a couple of breaks and ate at maintenance, but didn't allow myself to regain. Then when I saw her for Thanksgiving she said it "must be nice to be one of those people who just loses weight easily, while other people (clearly meaning her) have to starve themselves." I told her I would help her get started with MFP if she wanted and she said that was "way too restrictive." Since then every time I have a piece of cheesecake or go out to eat she sort of jokingly says something like "I hate you for being able to eat that." I just say "I just log the calories and then don't worry about it." But calorie counting is more restrictive than HCG? :huh:
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've heard that too. And actually, about more things than just weight loss. Ever noticed that if your kids are misbehaving, you're a bad parent, but if they're being nice and polite, people tell you haw lucky you are to have "naturally" cooperative children? I always want to say, "Yes, I'm lucky to be the kind of parent that expects her children to behave appropriately and teaches them common courtesy and good manners!'.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. All the f'ing time.

I think people just rather think it's genetics or plain luck, because the thought of it just being hard work is not as easy to bear. If it's genetics, then there's no reason they should feel bad.

Edit: The funniest thing about it is when people like those would say "why won't you eat this? You can eat anything and not gain weight anyway".
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I keep reading it happens,but I never have. I have been skinny mostly life & people comment on me being thin, but never in a "oh, you are so lucky to have a naturally thin body" type of way.
    Sounds like it'd be annoying.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I get it mostly from my family...they seem to think I got lucky in the genetic crap shoot and got skinny genes...I think 15 years of working out regularly and eating healthy has a lot to do with it...but they just won't ever see it that way, so I just don't fret about it...for me it's more annoying when my overweight friends try to give me dieting advice - telling me what I'm doing wrong and what they are doing right...except they just keep buying bigger and bigger clothes every year because their weight is totally out of control and none of those diet fads are shunting the train in a different direction...those are the moments that make me want to smack myself in the forehead and start screaming at people to WAKE UP ALREADY...
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Success in anything looks so easy. What people don't see are the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice it took to get there.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Success in anything looks so easy. What people don't see are the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice it took to get there.

This..exactly this ^^^
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I get that all the time. This morning someone asked me why I didn't eat any of the donuts someone brought into work, because "You're so skinny, you can eat as many as you want!" My comment? "I'm skinny because I don't eat the donuts."
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of what Michael Jordan said about being a natural. He basically said yes I am a natural talent if you consider shooting 100 free throws before anyone shows up for practice and shoot around after everyone leaves natural then I am a natural talent.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just passed one year on ''my plan yesterday'' - 16,243 minutes on my bike. Was told I m lucky I am a guy cause it s easy to lose weight for guys ? Hmmmmmmm. tell that to the 465 sessions in 365 days how easy it REALLY is ! :) Year 2, it s time to lift HEAVY . . .
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for most of my life. "You are so lucky to be naturally thin". Nope, I just ate healthy and exercised to stay that way. But I guess that is a natural thing to do. Not caring about my appearance and health would seem unnatural to me.
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am not thin but, I am working hard at losing the weight. I have been overweight my whole life. my mom put me in weight watchers at 12 years old! I have been updating her on my weight loss and she says I am lucky. Excuse me! Luck has nothing to do with it. I am working hard at this. I give her that response and she says nothing. So obviously she doesn't think my running 4 miles, 6 days a week, and couting calories every day isn't work, it is luck.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I've only heard this a couple of times but both times I've said "ACTUALLY, I work really hard".... luck my butt.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I got those kind of comments after I had my last baby (#6), about how quickly I "bounced back" and how I was lucky to "keep my shape" after pregnancy. I had to remind them that I did not look like that after my previous babies, and that the difference this time was that I was BUSTING MY *kitten*.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The one that is the most irritating to me is the "ooh you can eat this you're really skinny" or "why do you calorie count you don't need to you're thin already" - I know other people have mentioned these but I don't get why people don't understand that in order to stay slim you have to watch what you eat forever - it's not like you can just not eat for a few months, drop the weight and then just inhale everything you want for the rest of your life....
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Nobody has said it to me in a very long time...probably because of my standard response:

"I AM lucky.....I'm lucky I have developed a healthy sense of willpower!"

Because that's what it all boils down to. I'm lucky I've developed the drive, motivation and willpower to make these healthy changes and stuck to them.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily weight-wise, but when my husband and I lived in India, I was the only one in his family that is not diabetic. There would be some sort of sugar-type food or sweet and my mil would always say, "Oh, Gretchen can eat it, she's not diabetic ..." The problem is, and they also know, diabetes runs on my side of the family too. I got so annoyed because she said it a lot - "Give it to Gretchen, she's not diabetic." I would like to STAY that way, thank you very much. It was like I could eat anything I wanted because I'm not diabetic. Um .... no. :grumble:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My friends have been there when I was overweight and now, so they know what I went through to get to a healthy weight, so nobody has ever said that to me but I used to think that about other people. Like when I'd see a really skinny girl eating a big burger or something, I'd like to myself "lucky b****!" but how did I know if she had track practice for 4 hours that day and burned like 5000 calories, or if that's all she eats for the whole day?
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the "You're so lucky you don't have kids, you have all the time in the world to workout and cook healthy food, etc...". Really?!? What you don't know is I've lost weight because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and couldn't due to my weight! I don't understand how people can blame not working out and eating healthy on having kids, if you're dedicated I believe you'll find the time.