15 litres of water a day. Your thoughts?

Options
Yo guys just realised I had actually drank 15 litres of water today, I have a 5 litre bottle and drank 3 full ones.
1st bottle I drank in the morning during my Tricep and Bicep workout.
2nd and 3rd bottle I just drank mostly while just chilling about on my day off.

I have a tendency to just keep drinking if there's water in it even if i'm not thirsty.

Would like to see some of your thoughts :)

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    My thoughts??

WHY the **** would you drink that much water?
    You know it is possible to actually die from consuming too much water?
    There is absolutely no reason to be consuming more than 3ish litres a day unless you are running a marathon.

Are you diabetic?
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't drink 15L of water in a week...

http://drbenkim.com/drink-too-much-water-dangerous.html

Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system (your circulatory system), needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.

Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.

Putting unnecessary burden on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys by ingesting unnecessary water is a subtle process. For the average person, it is virtually impossible to know that this burden exists, as there are usually no obvious symptoms on a moment-to-moment basis. But make no mistake about it: this burden is real and can hurt your health over the long term.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    REALLY dangerous long term.

People have literally died from drinking too much water. Aside from that, drinking too much water can mean that you're flushing out your the nutrients etc in your food before you can digest/metabolise them.Basically, everything else that you've done right doesn't matter.

If you often find yourself wanting or needing to drink excessive water - especially if you're not in the heat or exerting yourself a lot, please go to the doctor. Excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? that's way too much water! You will be putting your poor kidneys under way too much strain plus your body will never be able to absorb any nutrients with all that circulating volume.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think water is great. And, I usually get more than 8 glasses a day. But, 15 liters? Water is one of those things where too much can really be a bad thing. You can get dilutional hyponatremia from too much free water, which can be deadly. And, if you are experiencing a compulsion to drink (polydipsia) it can be a sign of a health problem, like diabetes.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My thoughts??

There is absolutely no reason to be consuming more than 3ish litres a day unless you are running a marathon.

Are you diabetic?

actually, my urologist wants me to aim for 4-6 liters a day...I don't run.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to kill your kidneys?

Stay around 2 liters, unless it's really hot and you're working out a lot.

And like everyone else is saying, if you are constantly thirsty, have yourself tested for diabetes.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    5 litre water bottle - I've never seen one - except for bulk water supplies - I would be hard pressed to LIFT a bottle of 5 litres, never mind drink from it. Never mind drink three of them. Water is good but I think 15 litres (if that is what you are drinking) is excessive.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your insightful replies and ill try to respond to most, its pretty hard :\

Firstly no im not diabetic.
    I hypertrophy resistance train 6 days a week. The recommended daily consumption for water is 1 to 2 gal a day to build muscle. And so far as I know everyone who has consumed water has died (haha sorry that was a joke).
    Ingesting more water than you need can increase your total blood volume. And since your blood volume exists within a closed system (your circulatory system), needlessly increasing your blood volume on a regular basis puts unnecessary burden on your heart and blood vessels.

Your kidneys must work overtime to filter excess water out of your circulatory system. Your kidneys are not the equivalent of a pair of plumbing pipes whereby the more water you flush through your kidneys, the cleaner they become; rather, the filtration system that exists in your kidneys is composed in part by a series of specialized capillary beds called glomeruli. Your glomeruli can get damaged by unnecessary wear and tear over time, and drowning your system with large amounts of water is one of many potential causes of said damage.

Putting unnecessary burden on your cardiovascular system and your kidneys by ingesting unnecessary water is a subtle process. For the average person, it is virtually impossible to know that this burden exists, as there are usually no obvious symptoms on a moment-to-moment basis. But make no mistake about it: this burden is real and can hurt your health over the long term.
    I read the study, and the research I feel is does not apply to a 6ft 1" Male at 190lbs at 11% bodyfat. Plus it's not like I drank it all at once, this is over the course of 16 hours (which is the main point of the article form what I gathered). Though the kidney thing caught my eye. Put not to concerned.
    5 litre water bottle - I've never seen one - except for bulk water supplies - I would be hard pressed to LIFT a bottle of 5 litres, never mind drink from it. Never mind drink three of them. Water is good but I think 15 litres (if that is what you are drinking) is excessive.
    Yes i've been looking for one of these bad boys for a while, I hate leaving in the middle of a set to refill my small 600ml shaker bottle.

No doubt 15 litres is excessive. But I believe the amount of water im drinking, most of it about 60% is excreted, and the rest to the muscles. Especially when i just started use creatine monohydrate about 3 days ago.

I probably won't do this again but its nice to see people comment stuff.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. You may upset your electrolyte balance.

Equally, you may just be fine. Long term, it'd annoy me being sat on the toilet that long (comp week, I do 10 litres for 4-5 days, gets old quickly going to the loo!).
  • bdamaster60
    Options

Equally, you may just be fine. Long term, it'd annoy me being sat on the toilet that long (comp week, I do 10 litres for 4-5 days, gets old quickly going to the loo!).

Now that I will look into!
    Yes i've used the toilet about 15 times today and it ain't fun. I feel fine, my throats been killing me too, forgot to add that in to the OP. I'll stick to one bottle a day i think now.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Now that I will look into!
    Yes i've used the toilet about 15 times today and it ain't fun. I feel fine, my throats been killing me too, forgot to add that in to the OP. I'll stick to one bottle a day i think now.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fluidandelectrolytebalance.html

In extreme cases it can cause your magnesium and potassium stores to be all but emptied. With them emptied and combined with exercise it can some cases cause heart attacks, since magnesium and potassium are what carry the electrical charge thro ones body.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My thoughts??

Are you diabetic?

I'm assuming you went to the urologist for a reason -- you must have some symptoms to be referred to a urologist, and whatever condition you have may warrant drinking extra water. The 3ish liters a day is a good figure for a normal, active person with no health conditions.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fluidandelectrolytebalance.html

In extreme cases it can cause your magnesium and potassium stores to be all but emptied. With them emptied and combined with exercise it can some cases cause heart attacks, since magnesium and potassium are what carry the electrical charge thro ones body.

I'll keep that in mind, cheers mate.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    While you're reading, check this out. Hyponatremia is extremely dangerous, and not just to 28 year-old women trying to win contests. You very well could be flushing vital micro-nutrients from your blood stream.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    While you're reading, check this out. Hyponatremia is extremely dangerous, and not just to 28 year-old women trying to win contests. You very well could be flushing vital micro-nutrients from your blood stream.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm

again the research is based on the same thing as the other bloke posted. but this one I like it explores the topic abit more.
    In regards to the nutrients, most of my micronurients are absorbed and excreted well before i hit 2 litres (I supplement most) as well as consuming them post workout with the help of potatoes to spike my insulin. But it could be the case, all i see is clear water.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Why would you even need that amount?!?

It can be dangerous to consume too much. I suppose 1 day probably won't harm, but long term, I wouldn't do it.

I think the most I've had before was 4-5L - and I thought that was loads!!!! My average is about 3L.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! If you're truly thirsty enough to be drinking 15L of water a day, see a doctor.

If you're doing this by choice, stop! Worst idea ever
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    yeah probably wont do it again. it didnt really feel like a task, the bottle was there and i refilled it once at the gym and once at home, and just drink it throughout the day, next thing i knew I was 3 bottles down haha wicked right?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    My thoughts??

Are you diabetic?

I'm assuming you went to the urologist for a reason -- you must have some symptoms to be referred to a urologist, and whatever condition you have may warrant drinking extra water. The 3ish liters a day is a good figure for a normal, active person with no health conditions.

kidney stones...my last one was 14mm and took 2 surgeries to correct. Because I am under 40, and it was my 3rd stone, he did tests to find out why I was getting stones. I did a 48 hour urine collection...I made sure that I had my 64oz of fluid. Guess what he said? Chronic dehydration. Had to do a urine collection every 6 months until we found a fluid level that had my urine output high enough, and my mineral levels dilute enough. he was thrilled with my last test--I had 160oz (4.7L) the day I did that test.