False complimenters... RANT

Options
you know the people... the ones who will ALWAYS tell you how wonderful your hair or clothes are (even if you just threw on some jammy pants and met them in the store)

one of mine is my mother in law... after 10 pounds lost and only 40 more to go, she tells me I am "shrinking away to nothing," because she thinks that is what I want to hear.

or a co worker who always pulls me aside to tell me how "fabulous" I look.

I am very vocal about my healthier lifestyle and my workout program (it keeps me accountable)
I guess what what I would like to hear rather than false, exaggerated compliments are an Occasional "you are looking good today" or "you look healthy"

what would you prefer to hear people say to you in your journey to a happier, healthier you?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You're looking great!
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume the compliments are false?
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Id prefer they didn't use the word Journey
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options

Self-esteem issues maybe? :huh:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

^^^
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Perhaps people actually mean what they say to you... take a compliment, sheesh
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    "Great" post.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Id prefer they didn't use the word Journey

^ This. MFP and Glee ruined the Journey for me...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    There are helpless children in Africa right now who have NO compliments... appreciate what you have!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    other people, especially those who don't see you day in & day out, will notice changes before you'll truly see them yourself. these may not be false compliments.

^^^This.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I love all compliments. Just say thank you and move on.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    don't always assume they are false because they sound like a canned response...some people just don't know how to verbalise what they want to say.

but if they are opening their mouth to tell you that you look good when YOU haven't asked them, "how am I looking"

then they mean it....

now...if you are asking "hey how do I look" and they are responding with "you look great" then maybe you can wonder, but still that doesn't make what they say any less true.

unsolicited compliments are words they took the time to say just because they think that way.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!! Way to be a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day!

If ever we meet in person I'll be sure to ask you if you're tired because you just look like someone **** in your corn flakes!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    other people, especially those who don't see you day in & day out, will notice changes before you'll truly see them yourself. these may not be false compliments.

This!

Problem is, if you assume all are false, then one day you may find yourself thinking "God, no one notices!!" And the fact may be, they do but are afraid to say anything.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    NVM
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    you know the people... the ones who will ALWAYS tell you how wonderful your hair or clothes are (even if you just threw on some jammy pants and met them in the store)

one of mine is my mother in law... after 10 pounds lost and only 40 more to go, she tells me I am "shrinking away to nothing," because she thinks that is what I want to hear.

or a co worker who always pulls me aside to tell me how "fabulous" I look.

I am very vocal about my healthier lifestyle and my workout program (it keeps me accountable)
    I guess what what I would like to hear rather than false, exaggerated compliments are an Occasional "you are looking good today" or "you look healthy"

what would you prefer to hear people say to you in your journey to a happier, healthier you?

Maybe they aren't giving your false compliments. Maybe this is how they truly feel. Take it as a compliment ;)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that you'd be dissatisfied if people NEVER complimented you either...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This post absolutely does not make me want to kick you in the face.

Where's your upbeat and positive attitude?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    THIS WAS THE BEST RANT I EVER READ!!!!!