False complimenters... RANT

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    you know the people... the ones who will ALWAYS tell you how wonderful your hair or clothes are (even if you just threw on some jammy pants and met them in the store)

one of mine is my mother in law... after 10 pounds lost and only 40 more to go, she tells me I am "shrinking away to nothing," because she thinks that is what I want to hear.

or a co worker who always pulls me aside to tell me how "fabulous" I look.

I am very vocal about my healthier lifestyle and my workout program (it keeps me accountable)
    I guess what what I would like to hear rather than false, exaggerated compliments are an Occasional "you are looking good today" or "you look healthy"

what would you prefer to hear people say to you in your journey to a happier, healthier you?

A compliment is a compilment...I can't see how the above is false.

I think the worst thing is when you see someone eyeing you up and down for obvious reasons and saying nothing....jealous!!!
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't get what you are asking here.
    If it is what I think you're getting at, my advice would be that you need to lighten up.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You're probably right, since you've only lost 13 lbs so far, they're probably just trying to encourage you to continue, but you probably don't look all that good, and you are definitely not shrinking away to nothing. It's a good thing you are very vocal about your weight loss and diet, otherwise no one would even notice. I know, I know, you want to be held accountable and you're not fishing for compliments when you say things like, "I can't eat that cake, I've lost 13 pounds so far and I'm going to keep on losing!" or "No, I can't go to the movies with all of you, I have to go to the gym tonight because I've lost 13 pounds and I've got to keep it up!"

You want a rant, here's a rant. People who use journey or lifestyle change when losing weight. People who constantly complain about how hard it is to lose weight or think they have to alienate everything because it might make them fat to eat a piece of pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving. People who think skipping a work out will make them fall into some kind of fat absorbing abyss. People who complain about not being noticed because they're fat, and then complain about someone noticing them because they lost weight. People who start trying to preach that this food group or that food group is evil, just because they don't like it or they read an article or watched some stupid documentary. People who go on and on about how they are special and they don't lose weight the same way the rest of the planet does, or that they have some special alien DNA that makes them gain 18 lbs of muscle because of one workout.

Take the compliments or just set the people on fire. It's really up to you how you want to handle they annoying people who want to encourage you and help you reach your goals. Heaven forbid your actually just say "Thank you" and then get on with your life.

/RANT

applause.gif
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Wait...let me get this straight. You're upset because someone said something nice to you. :huh:
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I believe this is a rant fail. BTW..I look fabulous and I know I'm being sincere ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    09595-nom-nom-nom.gif

How have I gone my whole life without seeing this?!?
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You're probably right, since you've only lost 13 lbs so far, they're probably just trying to encourage you to continue, but you probably don't look all that good, and you are definitely not shrinking away to nothing. It's a good thing you are very vocal about your weight loss and diet, otherwise no one would even notice. I know, I know, you want to be held accountable and you're not fishing for compliments when you say things like, "I can't eat that cake, I've lost 13 pounds so far and I'm going to keep on losing!" or "No, I can't go to the movies with all of you, I have to go to the gym tonight because I've lost 13 pounds and I've got to keep it up!"

You want a rant, here's a rant. People who use journey or lifestyle change when losing weight. People who constantly complain about how hard it is to lose weight or think they have to alienate everything because it might make them fat to eat a piece of pie at Christmas or Thanksgiving. People who think skipping a work out will make them fall into some kind of fat absorbing abyss. People who complain about not being noticed because they're fat, and then complain about someone noticing them because they lost weight. People who start trying to preach that this food group or that food group is evil, just because they don't like it or they read an article or watched some stupid documentary. People who go on and on about how they are special and they don't lose weight the same way the rest of the planet does, or that they have some special alien DNA that makes them gain 18 lbs of muscle because of one workout.

Take the compliments or just set the people on fire. It's really up to you how you want to handle they annoying people who want to encourage you and help you reach your goals. Heaven forbid your actually just say "Thank you" and then get on with your life.

/RANT

Now that's what I call a rant! Good job, CM! Oh, and "Shoulda been gone!" Knowing how that compliment made you feel!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

/RANT

Nice!
  • dlveck
    dlveck Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 and have lost 22 lbs in only 7 weeks. I'm not starving myself by any means...it's just all the water/toxins coming out from eating crap for 37 years. I know it'll even itself out after a bit.

Anyway....after only 22lbs, there are several co-workers that have complimented me on how I'm looking. Even some I see everyday but don't generally talk to every day have said something. Of course, I don't see it yet and even my pants don't fit differently yet. But, if they are taking the time to say something to me then I know I must show the loss somewhere. I take each compliment to heart.

Don't think so much into it. You might not see the difference...but apparently it's noticeable enough for people to say something.

Just smile HUGE and say thank you. :bigsmile:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

/RANT

tumblr_lvk2tlZ9WX1qguxfm.gif
  • MrsBrosco
    Options

/RANT

applause.gif

^^^^^ THIS
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    There are helpless children in Africa right now who have NO compliments... appreciate what you have!
    baahahahahahahahhahaaaa
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I prefer any compliment in conjunction with one of these:

tumblr_m4c01zZlyn1qew2nxo2_400.gif
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

/RANT

chang-point.gif
  • MrsBrosco
    Options
    This is on your "about me" in your profile:

About Me
    I have seen friends and my husband lose weight over the years and my jealously and competitive side knew that I was not mentally ready to keep up with them. At some point this August, I DECIDED it was time to change ... that's right, it was MY DECISION.
    i am very excited about becoming a healthier (and sexier) person and guiding my teenage daughters to be healthier as well.
    I love that my husband gives me many encouraging compliments frequently.
    Here is what I have learned...
    Nothing changes until you decide!

Do you judge your husband for all of the compliments he gives you? If you can't see a difference how are they not fake as well?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    31510057.jpg
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I hate any compliment that isn't accompanied by a nipple pinch or @ss smack. How else do you know it's genuine???
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    29645696.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's so much better when they say "You're a big fat pig, I'm so glad you're planning to lose 40 more pounds."
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I hate any compliment that isn't accompanied by a nipple pinch or @ss smack. How else do you know it's genuine???

Come here and let me show you how purdy I think you are . . . (you may want to wear protective gear or choose a safe word, my compliments get pretty aggressive).