Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric

Options

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    5'1", recently down to 177 pounds. 42 inch waist. Size 14 or 16, depending on the style of the pants. My thighs are what determine my pant size, they are not in proportion to my waist.

Another thing to remember is that sizing charts have changed. Even from when I was in my 20s (in the late 1980s and early 1990s) and now in my 40s. The smallest size you could buy in a regular store back then was a 6. If you wanted a size 2 or 4, you went to a specialty store. When I was 20 years old, I weighed 118 pounds and wore a size 10. Nowadays, a size 10 is something very different.
  • akelli01
    akelli01 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your post! It's about being comfortable with who we are! :)

White, 5'4", 231.5, 18/20
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My size 12 was NOT a 40 inch waist...it was smaller. The image that came to MY mind (since I sew) was fabric, measured and cut. If I'm wrong, sue me. But I'm pretty sure that proves the entire point of this thread: that "size" is not always an accurate indicator of one's true SIZE.

For kicks and giggles, I looked at some ladies clothing measurement charts and not one of them listed a size 12 as a 40 inch waist. The largest waist size I came across was 31.5 inches for a size 12.

Sooo...

I thought this too only...40" just doesn't seem like enough to make anything. That's just over a yard of fabric. Even with a 60" bolt of fabric, 40" wouldn't get you very much. Maybe if you were really short, but I can't see making myself a pair of jeans with that little.

white, 5'11" (and 3/4, but I round down), 199, 14? (I haven't boughten new pants since I dropped 48lbs)

One would have to be pretty precise with the cutting. LOL

Congrats on your weight loss! It might be time to go on a mini shopping spree!

Thanks! I'm hoping I'll get a gift card or two for Christmas. *crosses fingers*
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    My size 12 was NOT a 40 inch waist...it was smaller. The image that came to MY mind (since I sew) was fabric, measured and cut. If I'm wrong, sue me. But I'm pretty sure that proves the entire point of this thread: that "size" is not always an accurate indicator of one's true SIZE.

For kicks and giggles, I looked at some ladies clothing measurement charts and not one of them listed a size 12 as a 40 inch waist. The largest waist size I came across was 31.5 inches for a size 12.

Sooo...

I thought this too only...40" just doesn't seem like enough to make anything. That's just over a yard of fabric. Even with a 60" bolt of fabric, 40" wouldn't get you very much. Maybe if you were really short, but I can't see making myself a pair of jeans with that little.

white, 5'11" (and 3/4, but I round down), 199, 14? (I haven't boughten new pants since I dropped 48lbs)

One would have to be pretty precise with the cutting. LOL

Congrats on your weight loss! It might be time to go on a mini shopping spree!

Thanks! I'm hoping I'll get a gift card or two for Christmas. *crosses fingers*

I give you..........a online hi-5 and some cool points :)
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    49 year old caucasian, 5 ' 9" , 168lbs, size 12, (oh, and a 29" waist :laugh: )
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    White, Age 46, 5'3", 164 lbs., size 12.

I love this post. I just bought my first pair of new jeans since I started losing weight in July. They are a size 12 and I am proud of it.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I have something to say. A thread from yesterday, "Size 12=fat", really has me feeling a certain kind of way- so, I need all of you to help me prove a point. See, many people argued whether size 12 was consider fat or not. Some people said yes, some said no. Which is even the more reason why there is no "right" answer to this question. Whether someone looks "fat" or "skinny" is in the eye of the beholder. Folks even threw in the race card..... So let's be real, the size that one appears to be -is based on numerous aspects- culture, culture perception, culture preference, personal preference, height, body structure, body frame, bone structure, elasticity, muscle tone, clothing brand, color, material, etc., and etc.,.! Yesterday someone even compared Kate Moss to Marilyn Monroe-stating they had the same measurements, therefore, Marilyn was not a size 12, as many people argued she was on the tread. I don't know what size Marilyn was, considering there are so many speculations, but, I can tell you she was curvy, her weight fluctuated, and she and Kate Moss- definitely do not have the same body shape, period! Which proves again, that clothing size or weight does not necessarily dictate your actual size. As woman we really need to stop comparing ourselves to others and setting unrealistic objectives. We were all given a body we did not choose. We all have specific body types and structures. Do not believe that you can achieve any body type you want, it's not true! However, you can perfect the body you already have. And am' talking via natural remedies. We all have the capabilities to be beautiful and comfortable in our skin, whether your skinny, thin, muscular, semi-muscular, curvy, thick, full-figured, big, etc., and etc.,... The first key to happiness is loving yourself. The second is being healthier. The third, is finding "your" ideal body- within realistic measures. I have friends here who range from, very fit to heavy- yet, they all look great. It's all about what you want; we all have our own opinions; and everyone is not going to find you attractive. The truth is "Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric". Embrace who you are and your preference! Do me a favor and list as followed: Race, Height, Weight and Clothing Size. Watch and see how everyone's sizes vary:

Well said.....
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Caucasian Female
    5'4"
    CW 139
    Size - some 8s but mostly 6s

I wore a size 12 at 165#.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Native American, 5"2, 149 lbs, size 6.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I love your post!!

white, 5'6'', 187, waivering between a size 10-12.

Thanks!

What do you know, your white, I'm black and we have similar comparisons. I'm 5.5 1/2, not 187 today, but at that weight I wear 10\12 too. Let me guess, curvy frame? Not consider fat, average? But then again, it depends on what you desire. May I ask your ideal size?

This again proves my point and confirms!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I love your post!!

white, 5'6'', 187, waivering between a size 10-12.

Then again we may not even look the same at the size. My waist is about a 32 at size 10-12.

But still again, proves my point.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Race: White
    Height:5'5.5" tall

I USED to be 205 and size 16 and also spent many years at 155 and size 12. I was definitely fat at a size 12 for sure, never fitting properly into clothes or feeling good about how I looked.

Today:
    Weight: 136
    SIze 4
    This is a great size for me. I feel "normal" for the first time in my life. I can wear anything and feel 100% confident! My stomach "pooch" is insignificant now.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

It's a government campaign ergo a government sponsored advert. I'll wager they did their research. I understand you won't want to hear it when your waist is bigger than that, no one likes bad news.

You excuse me if I go ahead and NOT take any advice about anything weight related from the US gov........
    But if you care to educated yourself.... http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501491_eng.pdf
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    To the person who questioned my posing race, say what you want- different races to pose certain physical characteristics.
    There is far too much variety within any race to do that. Examples? Halle Berry and Serena Williams. Yao Ming and Jackie Chan. They might be categorized by scientists as being with the same racial group, but their bodies are quite different, and any comparison between them would be... ridonkulous.
    I know my intent for proposing race, please don't try to make it out like I'm being bias or racist, not the case at all.
    I don't see it as biased or racist. I do see it as irrelevant and flawed logic, though.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Do me a favor and list as followed: Race, Height, Weight and Clothing Size. Watch and see how everyone's sizes vary:

Human, 5'6", 152, 12
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Great post!!!!!! Ty Ty Ty

White 5'2". 146 lbs size 10 or 8 depending on what the cut is.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    To be honest I don't understand why us women love dramas and to complicate things, either weight related or not then seek approval from other people on whether they are fat or not, being at size X is fat etc. Bottomline is: WE DON'T NEED OTHER PEOPLE TO SAY WE ARE SEXY OR BEAUTIFUL AND MAKE US HAPPY. IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED IT THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU. It doesn't matter if you're getting all the compliments or criticisms from the 6 billion people here on earth, at the end of the day it is still YOU who has the final straw. If we can make ourselves happy with who we are or how we look, nobody will drag us down.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    White 5'7" 128-132, size 2 to 5, waist 26', bust and hips MIA
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't understand why us women love dramas and to complicate things, either weight related or not then seek approval from other people on whether they are fat or not, being at size X is fat etc. Bottomline is: WE DON'T NEED OTHER PEOPLE TO SAY WE ARE SEXY OR BEAUTIFUL AND MAKE US HAPPY. IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED IT THEN THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU. It doesn't matter if you're getting all the compliments or criticisms from the 6 billion people here on earth, at the end of the day it is still YOU who has the final straw. If we can make ourselves happy with who we are or how we look, nobody will drag us down.
    BUT BUT BUT WHAT IS YOUR RACE?!?!?!?!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!