Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric

Options

Replies

• shella_bella
    Options
    This was beautifully said!

I am caucasian, 5'4", 139lbs, size 4/5 in canada or size 10/12 in australia where I am currently living...that is also a big factor. Sizes vary A LOT from place to place...
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

It's a government campaign ergo a government sponsored advert. I'll wager they did their research. I understand you won't want to hear it when your waist is bigger than that, no one likes bad news.

You excuse me if I go ahead and NOT take any advice about anything weight related from the US gov........
    But if you care to educated yourself.... http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501491_eng.pdf

UK government, not the US.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Black, 5'4, 153, tight 10/loose 12.

For the record, I have a 29 inch waist and 42 inch hips. THAT is why I wear a 12.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    <3

White female
    5'1"
    170 lbs
    size 12

In the end, it doesn't matter what number is on the clothing, or what number is on the scale, or even if other people think you look fat or not. It matters what YOU think, and how YOU feel about yourself...

EVERYONE is beautiful, no matter what their size or shape or weight or the number on their stupid pants that only they can see anyway.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Weight: 193
    Height: 5'10"
    Race: Canadian ;)
    size: 10

Actually, the risk of heart disease is increased when your waist is more than 1/2 your height. Throwing out a random number (32" i believe someone said) is not going to apply the same way to a 4'11" lady and a 5'11" lady. Hip to waist ratio is an even better determination of risk. But we are all here trying to get healthier! So lets not point fingers at who is "fat" at a particular size. We aren't in high school anymore!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    I just wona thank everyone for proving my point entirely!
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I have much to share.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

The OP didn't say 40 inches of fabric around the waist. I'm pretty sure she meant total...or at least one complete garment (pants, shirt...whatev).

Size 12 is 40 inches waist...For God's sake, don't be so obtuse. Where do you think they're measuring???

Actually, it's not. I was the OP on the post that THIS OP is talking about. I'm a size 12 and a 35 inch waist, thank you very much.

NO NO NO NO NO! Where do you wear pants? Pulled all the way up to your natural waist? NO! You wear pants on your hips. 40" hips ffs.

popcorn.gif

^^ LOL

I have never worn pants at my hips. Call me a freak, but they always come to my waist. These must be what we used to call "low-riders" or something. They're fine for young people, but once a lady reaches a certain age, they become less attractive. Jeff Foxworthy did a funny bit about that.
  • anniebrox
    Options
    White, 5'6", 173lbs, Size 10/12
  • anniebrox
    Options
    Black, 5'4, 153, tight 10/loose 12.

For the record, I have a 29 inch waist and 42 inch hips. THAT is why I wear a 12.

This is me too! 29 inch waist and 43 inch hips.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

The OP didn't say 40 inches of fabric around the waist. I'm pretty sure she meant total...or at least one complete garment (pants, shirt...whatev).

Size 12 is 40 inches waist...For God's sake, don't be so obtuse. Where do you think they're measuring???

Actually, it's not. I was the OP on the post that THIS OP is talking about. I'm a size 12 and a 35 inch waist, thank you very much.

NO NO NO NO NO! Where do you wear pants? Pulled all the way up to your natural waist? NO! You wear pants on your hips. 40" hips ffs.

tumblr_lrwfirYQTi1qkznxe.gif

Maybe if I were 20. MAYBE. But at 40? Oh, hell no. My pants fit at my waist. Where they are supposed to be. F that nonsense...

35 inch waist.
    46 inch hips
    size 12 (actually wearing a size 10 today)
    TYVM
  • tammytee93
    tammytee93 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Black, 5'4" 164lbs - wears a size 6. How your body is shaped!!!!!!!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'6.5, 161, and am somewhere between a 10 - 14 (US). According to two guys I walked past when I was in St. Croix, I have a big rear for a white woman. Ah, genetics. So I went through this thread and found people who were about my height. I copied and pasted what I found. Holy moly, if this wasn't eye opening.

To the Angelbeee/OP's point, there doesn't seem to be a standard baseline. One person can be 5'6, 187 lbs and a size 10/12. Another person can be 5'6, 150 lbs and a size 12.

So how can two people be the same height, the same size, and there be a 37 lb difference? How can two other people be the same height, have a 30 lb difference, and one of them is a size 2 and one is a size 12? Because, well, because they can. There is no magical number. It's about what's healthy, works on your body and how your body distributes what you have...

**5'6'', 187, waivering between a size 10-12
    **5'6", 150 lbs. Size 12 pants, size s/m tops

5'61/2", about 165, varies from 8-14
    5'6", 152, 12

5'7" 128-132, size 2 to 5
    5'7", 157, 10/12.

5'7 151 pounds , Size 8, almost ready for a size 6
    5'7" 155 size 9

**5'7"/ 172lbs/ size 14-16
    **5'7 , 211lbs 14/16 depending on the brand.

Edited: This wasn't meant to make anyone feel bad. If anything, it was meant to do the opposite and point out that there IS no magical number for your height and what's on the clothing rack...
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good message :)

White
    5'2"
    140 lbs
    Size 8 (and sometimes a 10)
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!

White, 5'7", 176, 12
  • tammytee93
    tammytee93 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    WOW. I am currently 5' 4" 164ls and I wear a size 6. When I was 152lbs I could fit in a size 4. Just crazy!!!!
  • BeDawn
    BeDawn Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really love what you have posted here, and I agree with your sentiment. We need to appreciate the bodies we have, and work towards something that is in the realm of possibilities for our own body type.

I see so many people asking how they can change not only their fitness level but also their body shape. It bums me out seeing women set themselves up for failure.
    ^^^
    What she said!

5'4"
    160 lbs
    size 12 is a little loose, size 10 is too tight
    31" waist / 42" hips
    I've been told since high school that I have a big butt and thighs for a white girl.

I'm glad Beyonce, Salma Hayek, and the other hourglass ladies are getting positive attention for their derrieres. Somehow it makes me fell better about mine.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    White, 5'8", 186 lbs, size 14. I was a wide build prior to babies and it got even worse, not sure single digit sizes are in my future,
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post!

Bi-racial (black and white) 5'1, 135lbs size 6/8.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!