Size 12= about 40 inches of fabric

Options

Replies

• threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

Actually for women, the important one is the hips to waist ratio... I have a lot more than 32 in of waist but my ratio is perfectly healthy as I do not carry my weight on the tummy area. Don't freak out people without research.....

It's a government campaign ergo a government sponsored advert. I'll wager they did their research. I understand you won't want to hear it when your waist is bigger than that, no one likes bad news.

You're rude AND a bully....
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    40 inches of fabric around your waist is quite a lot seeing as how carrying weight around your waist means you're more at risk of heart disease/diabetes etc.
    We have an advert here that says if your waist measures more than 80cm for women (which is 32 inches) it is an indicator of internal fat deposits, which can coat the heart, kidneys, liver and pancreas, and increase the risk of chronic disease.

It IS important.

The OP didn't say 40 inches of fabric around the waist. I'm pretty sure she meant total...or at least one complete garment (pants, shirt...whatev).

Size 12 is 40 inches waist...For God's sake, don't be so obtuse. Where do you think they're measuring???

Huh, and all this time I thought a size 12 was a 30-32 inch waist.... and that a 40 inch waist was a size 20. Where did I ever get a crazy idea like that? oh yeah every US size chart I've ever seen. But yeah, thanks for setting us all straight.
    I wear a 20 and my waist is bigger than 40 inches...a lot bigger
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...I'm rotflmao...somebody said size 12 was FAT????

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    White, 5'8", 222lbs, size 18 to 20.

Even at 130, I don't think I was ever below a size 10! Though I have a slim bone structure, my shoulders and hips are proportional to my height, so I'll never be tiny.
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    :happy: White - 5'9" 43 yrs old 156 lbs and size 10.. almost an eight and proud of what I have done...
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Another thing to remember is that sizing charts have changed. Even from when I was in my 20s (in the late 1980s and early 1990s) and now in my 40s. The smallest size you could buy in a regular store back then was a 6. If you wanted a size 2 or 4, you went to a specialty store. When I was 20 years old, I weighed 118 pounds and wore a size 10. Nowadays, a size 10 is something very different.
    Thank you for confirming what I remember! So maybe I could get below a 10, with vanity sizing. :)

I shop for my daughters in thrift stores, which tend to organize clothes by the labeled size. And since some labels have changed through the years, you get a huge variation of size within the size sixes!
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    So true!
    Filipino, 5'4", 168.2 lbs, 38 yrs sz 10-12
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    White 5'10"
    12/14 on top 14/16 bottom
    23yrs

AND to the OP You are amazing! I love your perspective! I wish more people thought like you!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Viking 5'10"
    165 pounds
    33 years old
    top = small / size 6-8
    bottom = jeans juniors 7/8 or 9/10 if they are skinnies/jeggings
    dress size = S/M
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    White
    size 16
  • Drkchocl8
    Drkchocl8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My stats have always been a little off the charts. I am 5'7 and started at 220lbs and wore 12/14. Mostly 12's but some 14's were more comfortable. I am now at 185 and am an 8! Like a real size 8! I've never been a size 8 in my life and at 185lbs no less? So my true test was going to Nordstrom and getting fitted for jeans...size 29 in HUDSON jeans (with room to spare according to the sales associate). Are you freaking kidding me right now?

So I'm living proof that weight and size don't always coincide. But the point is...we're all different so accept who you are and don't let a size dictate your happiness! Congrats on all the progress made thus far and keep up the good work!

Roz

Black
    5'7
    185lbs
    Size 8
  • thomakg
    thomakg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    White 150 Size 8

But don't go buy a dress pattern or you'll have a surprise - they put me in a 12!
  • andigurl513
    Options
    I'm a size 12.
    I'm 6'1 - yes, you read that right. 73"
    I weigh 199.
    If anyone thinks that's "fat" that's fine by me. I feel great. I'm strong, I'm fit, I have endurance for DAYS.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    White. 5'5.5, 182 lbs, size 12

And no, my waist definitely is not 40 inches. It was 30.5 this morning thanks.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Amen sister!!! 5'5", 193, between a size 16 and 14
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    White, 5'7", 190 pant size between 12-14
  • lisa_lamb
    lisa_lamb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you mean US sizing and mean a US 12/UK 16? A UK 12 is a US 8- hardly fat!

I am a UK 10/12 so that makes me a US 6/8?
    5ft 5.5
    137 pounds
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    asian/hispanic
    29 years
    5'8"
    181 lbs
    size 8-12 (depends on brand, time of month, etc)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Black
    1.63m
    95kg
    size 18
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Awesome post :):flowerforyou:

White, 5'.25", 164ish lbs. Size 14
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!