Salad in A Jar

Options

Replies

• Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe for salad in a jar!!! always looking for new ways to make eating right exciting!!! sounds delish!!!
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow cool idea!

-BUMP-
  • rtwinrn06
    rtwinrn06 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting!
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what a great idea! thanks for the info
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I just bought my jars. I could not find wide mouth, but I think I will be OK with regular quart jars.

I'd just get something like the lock&lock bowls so I can reuse them, like the jars, and not break them, like the jars. :laugh: I enjoy my toss-it-all-in-and-shake lunches for work. Being able to reseal it for later is a plus too since there is no such thing as an uninterrupted planning period.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    OMG THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA!!! :love: :smile:
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try this for sure. Dumb question though after you shake it do you eat in out of the jar or put it in a separate container to eat it? Seems jar may be a little difficult to eat out of.
  • tomdrinkard
    tomdrinkard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the salads in a cup that they had at McDonald's. Those things were pretty tasty! I never could quite remember the name, so I just resorted to ordering a "Salad McHooHah" and they always knew what I meant. :-D

This is so funny to me!!! Salad McHooHah! Bahahahaha!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I did this last year and somehow forgot about it over the Christmas break- Bumping for new ideas!
    My workmates are always amazed at how much food comes out of my jar when I empty it onto a plate- It's like the tardis.
    I really pack the food in!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There are Soooo many great Combos & Ideas here!
    Siracha/Balsamic +Roasted vegs, Avocado& grains to even a salsa on the bottom.
    Thanks for all the ideas*!*
    :flowerforyou:
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I tried the salad in a jar last week. I made 12 of them. I ate them for lunch and dinner and just polished off the last of the 12 today. It was awesome to have salads ready to go. The combinations are endless.

If anyone else out there is making salads in jars, I'd love to see your recipes.

Also, what size jars are y'all using? So far I've used pint size mason jars. I may make some salads in quart size jars, though.
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've seen these on YouTube, but this serves as a reminder.... bump bump!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    hmrambling,

I make my salads in quart jars so I can pack at least 2 cups of greens in with all the other goodies.

I have also learned over time to put the nuts (if there are any) on top of the greens so they stay nice and crunchy.

Here's a couple less conventional salads in jars...

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/06/apple-dijon-kale-salad/

Sometimes I will shake this up a day in advance of when I want to eat it or turn it upside down when I put it in the work fridge in the morning. This lets the dressing seep down and start softening the kale. Granny smith apples work much better than honeycrisp, just for the record. The honeycrisp got too mushy by the end of the week, I found.

ETA: I usually add abou 1/3 to 1/2 cup of quinoa or amaranth to this salad, too.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/01/kale-pasta-salad/

For the kale pasta salad, I put the olives, tomatoes, and "juice"/dressing in the bottom, then whole wheat egg noodles or rotini, then cheese, then kale. I like to heat this up just a bit in the microwave to wilt the kale a small amount. It also loosens up the oils so the kale and pasta get coated better.

I just saw she (Beth of Budget Bytes) put up a new kale salad recipe that I'd like to try:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/07/crunchy-kale-chicken-salad/
  • gracieloufbmc
    Options
    bump
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump