Substitute for Bananas? Or don't bother?

I've heard from some people that bananas are really too high in sugar, obviously they are better than some processed crap, but... if I have options, should I eat a different kind of fruit? I usually have at least 2 a day, more like 3 most days, one in a shake and then quickly before a workout and randomly throughout the day.

I eat a lot of apples too, should I switch my bananas out for something else?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Unless you are experiencing problems or eating so many that you are not eating enough of something else, I can't imagine any reason why you should stop eating them.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I have read all that too, but I still refuse to give up my bananas. I love them, and they have not caused me any problems, so I will keep eating them!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    If you want to go for a lower sugar fruit, then swap for berries
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    I'd say to those people "look on the flipside it's better to eat bananas then to give into something else like junk food, sweets, etc." Fruit is good for you. Like anything else, eat in moderation. If you're within your daily calories it shouldn't be a big deal. Bananas are great in smoothies. I just found a recipe using frozen fruits plus a frozen banana that tastes delicious! Finally, a replacement for ice cream...Yea!! :happy:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    No. Natural sugars are nothing to concern yourself with. Bananas are high in potassium. I eat two or three a day myself.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Berries.

Personally I don't cut out bananas completely, I just have half instead of whole. I'll put the other half in the freezer, frozen bananas taste great!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    I LOVE BANANAS.
    make the banana haters STOP
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Sugar isn't bad for you
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    I wouldn't. bananas have a good amount of potassium, which is good for your electrolytes. I wouldn't go about eating ONLY bananas. I like to have them, apples, any kind of berries.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    I usually have 2 or 3 a day! I will not stop eating them. I also have an apple or an orange and berries too!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Bananas are good. Sugar in fruit is good. Sugar in anything else that isn't fruit sugar or natural cane is bad. End of story. :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Bananas are good. Sugar in fruit is good. Sugar in anything else that isn't fruit sugar or natural cane is bad. End of story. :)

This is science
  • I don't see why people keep saying fruit is so bad for you. IT'S NATURAL.

Nutrients>Numbers on a label.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Nothing wrong with bananas. If you like them eat them.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member

Oh good lord...
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    I think the detractors are confusing sugar from fruit and other natural sources with the bad processed variety.
    When every doctor and his dog keeps saying we should eat more fruit and veg, I've never once heard any of them mention "but not banana's"
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    I have yet to meet anyone that said 'I got fat or I got diabetes from too many bananas'.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose=fructose
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    What, like fauxnanas?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I eat a lot of apples and grapes because I can't stomach bananas anymore for some reason :(