Substitute for Bananas? Or don't bother?

Options

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    nah,, bananas are GOOD!, i have one every day 7 days week!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet anyone that said 'I got fat or I got diabetes from too many bananas'.

But on the flip side diabetics should avoid bananas as they are too high in sugar.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet anyone that said 'I got fat or I got diabetes from too many bananas'.

^^THIS
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

But on the flip side diabetics should avoid bananas as they are too high in sugar.

Diabetics don't have a problem with sugar. They have a problem converting carbs into sugar. Bananas are loaded with carbs.
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My theory is that it's natural sugar so I'm not giving up my fruit. Bananas are a great recovery food after a work out too. I think the benefits outweigh any sugar negatives.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    1 banana 2 banana one for me, and one for you banana. Eat three or 4 or even more bananas cuz bananas don't grow alone.
    Now Miss Banana she's a pretty sight, she wears a yellow dress in the bright sunlight. She has her friends and neighbors to the left and right......cuz bananas don't grow alone.

Sesame Street anyone?
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I actually know someone who swears he got diabetes from drinking fruit juice while he had an infection. He also swears by enamas, drinks baking soda and salt all day and swears fruit kills you -- I don't listen to that guy. He's just weird.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good. Sugar in fruit is good. Sugar in anything else that isn't fruit sugar or natural cane is bad. End of story. :)

Oh good lord...

Did I say something wrong?

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Ok, ok... NATURAL sugar in anything is good, processed is bad. Is that better? That's what I meant in the first place. :D

No - it is saying the same thing, and is wrong for the same reason.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    How can so many monkeys be wrong - eat bananas!
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good. Sugar in fruit is good. Sugar in anything else that isn't fruit sugar or natural cane is bad. End of story. :)

Oh good lord...

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Ok, ok... NATURAL sugar in anything is good, processed is bad. Is that better? That's what I meant in the first place. :D

So tell me, processed sugar is good for you?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Sugar is sugar. Whether or not it's good or bad depends largely on context.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think the detractors are confusing sugar from fruit and other natural sources with the bad processed variety.
    When every doctor and his dog keeps saying we should eat more fruit and veg, I've never once heard any of them mention "but not banana's"

Wait. So the detractors are confusing good fructose from one source versus bad fructose from another source, right? How do I tell the good fructose from the bad fructose? And more importantly, when I eat it, how do I let my body know that it's getting the good fructose and not the bad fructose?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Oh good lord...

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

That also depends on context.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

Oh good lord...

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Tell me how your 93 grams of sugar today was good for you.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You should try to substitute bananas not for their sugar intake, but for the diversity of eating other fruits. Each fruit brings different nutrients to your body and it's better to alternate.
    Bananas are handy, because you can it eat it easy, don't need to wash them, etc.
    But you should alternate them at least with other easy to find and store fruits like apples and pears (they are filling and give you an energy boost). Eating a wide range of berries is also very good (because of antioxidants and other stuff). Dates and figs are quite nice if you don't mind the sugar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Oh good lord...

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Whether sugar is 'processed' or not is not relevant. It basically gets treated the same way in your body.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

Oh good lord...

Yes you did.

So, what is wrong? o:

see bold.

what about milk?

Whether sugar is 'processed' or not is not relevant. It basically gets treated the same way in your body.

Hmm, no, actually fake sugar (processed and sweetener) is accepted differently by your body.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Tell me how your 93 grams of sugar today was good for you.

Glycogen replenishment, dietary adherence, training performance, personal satisfaction/energy levels.

EDITING: for long-*kitten* quote box.