Substitute for Bananas? Or don't bother?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Tell me how your 93 grams of sugar today was good for you.

To address your late add. Whether my 93g of sugar came from fruit or not is irrelevant. And my nutrient intake is fine, as are my macros, but thank you for your concern :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf

Hmm, no, actually fake sugar (processed and sweetener) is accepted differently by your body.

Hmm, no.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

To address your late add. Whether my 93g of sugar came from fruit or not is irrelevant. And my nutrient intake is fine, as are my macros, but thank you for your concern :flowerforyou:

Stop being nice, respond with your abs.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Ok, since you all know so much about sugar, all cynicism aside, *restart*, whatever...

Please tell me how I should improve my diet since I was so sure sugar was what was causing me problems. Someone told me to decrease my sugar, and increase my fiber intake. I have been doing so, but I am still not noticing a difference yet. All I know is that processed sugar is bad, and that sugar in fruit is good, and that you can eat as much fruit as you want.

Since I guess I don't know as much as I should about sugar, I would like to say sorry for the remarks and just ask for information that can help me. :)
  • Sarauk2sf

<----better?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

<----better?

^^Deal with it
  • Sarauk2sf
    Ok, since you all know so much about sugar, all cynicism aside, *restart*, whatever...

Please tell me how I should improve my diet since I was so sure sugar was what was causing me problems. Someone told me to decrease my sugar, and increase my fiber intake. I have been doing so, but I am still not noticing a difference yet. All I know is that processed sugar is bad, and that sugar in fruit is good, and that you can eat as much fruit as you want.

Since I guess I don't know as much as I should about sugar, I would like to say sorry for the remarks and just ask for information that can help me. :)

Which problems are you having? Pm me if you do not want to say in an open forum.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

I'm on your FL. I've never approached the conversation with you before, but I have seen your diary... you don't eat enough. You should eat waaaaay more calories than you do.

Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf have a group that offers great information on this stuff and they know what they are talking about. Please check it out. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • ShifuYaku

Which problems are you having? Pm me if you do not want to say in an open forum.

Problems, as in I'm not losing weight. I have been the same weight (around 2 pounds up or down) for almost 6 months now. I know I don't work out as much as I should be, but I haven't been going over my calories. I eat good food, mostly at home (80% of the time). I hardly ever eat at fast food restaurants, except maybe Subway sometimes (once a month, approx). I thought the culprit was sugar, so I have been trying to cut it down. Then I added more fiber to my diet with FiberOne cereal. But it's still not working. Is there something else I should be doing? I want to start a 5-pound loss over my winter break and try to get to 180. I haven't even made it close to 183 yet. :(
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member

It's poops.
  • ShifuYaku

I'm on your FL. I've never approached the conversation with you before, but I have seen your diary... you don't eat enough. You should eat waaaaay more calories than you do.

Sidesteel and Sarauk2sf have a group that offers great information on this stuff and they know what they are talking about. Please check it out. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

It's because I don't log every day... that's why it looks like I don't eat enough. I hardly ever finish my diary.
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Sugar-based flame-war aside, I was reading something today stating that the sugar content in bananas fluctuates based on color? Green bananas apparently have less sugar than yellow (or jeeze brown) bananas... so there's something.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    I struggle meeting my daily potassium goals, so bananas do me good!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

I would just like you to know that your bossing around of Sara in an attempt to get her to show some skin is really not a g......

*looks at her pic*

*ahem*

Well done Rock. Please continue this behavior.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    It's because I don't log every day... that's why it looks like I don't eat enough. I hardly ever finish my diary.

This is why you are having problems
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Oh goody another sugar thread.
  • fireproof30
    fireproof30 Posts: 14 Member
    It depends...if you're trying to cut carbs/lose weight, then I'd limit my banana/apple intake to one or two a week. A typical medium-sized banana has 22-27g carbs and a medium-sized apple has 20-22g carbs (mostly from sugar), which is a lot for one piece of fruit. There are a lot of other great things for you in bananas (like potassium), but they're also found in other fruits as well. If you're trying to limit carbs I'd lean more towards fresh melons and berries and eat more vegetables than fruits. As long as you're exercising regularly, though, like the others said, every fruit can be benefcial in moderation.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

Well... that's the first thing... you have to log consistently. Nobody can really help you if we can't be sure about what you are eating. I plateau'd like that for a long time too. I finally just stopped looking at the scale and worked on being consistent about my logging and my workouts and eventually I began to see results again.

I noticed that you aren't watching your fats in your diary. One mistake that I made that caused my plateau was not eating enough unsaturated fats. A lack of the right kind of fats can cause a physical stressor on the body which results in the release of cortisol into your system. Cortisol causes your metabolism to become more effecient with less calories so you don't burn as much.

But we can't be sure that is the problem because you haven't been logging consistently.
  • Sarauk2sf

You need to start logging. You cannot determine what the problem is until you do. The basic issue when someone is stalling out is that they are not accurately logging their food or are overestimating their calorie expenditure.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    I struggle meeting my daily potassium goals, so bananas do me good!

Thats true, and potatoes are an even higher source of potassium