CARBS??? VEGGIE carbs ok ? Or ?

Options
Hey general question for all you veteren weight loss pro's out there. When it comes to carbs, what are good what are bad? I have cut out carbs from bread, pasta and rice. I usually try and get about 100 grm of carbs a day and that is from mostly veggies/fruits. So is that ok ? I was hearing about the Atkins' diet and their carbs are below 50 a day sometimes around 25! And not much fruits or veggies on the meal ......... Just looking for some friendly advice and see what comes up. I was 286 lbs last Dec. I am now 194.8 lbs still have a bit to go, but the weight is coming off slower and slower. Wanting to speed it up a bit. Like this week NO LOSS NO GAIN!! Sucks. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks .. Mandy :)

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Your body uses them all as glucose, the source is irrelevant.

Weight loss will be determined by your caloric deficit.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

broscience
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i'm interested to see what people think on this too.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

broscience

oh-you-guys.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You are doing great with that weight loss! don't worry about carbs from fruits and vegetables - your body needs the nutrients in them to be healthy. It's best to avoid foods made with white flour, processed foods, white rice and even white potatoes. But since sweet potaotes, winter squash, fruits and even milk are so nutritious, they should be a part of your diet even though they contain carbs. Also, I found that since I started exercising more, I can eat more! Whoo Hoo!
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options

So you are saying that I can eat all my carbs from eating white bread pasta and rice .. So if I get a ton of carbs from veggies 100 grms a day it won`t effect weigh loss. This is all learning game to me when it comes to eat carbs or don`t eat carbs and from what source! Thanks.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options

My insulin-resistant body would like to disagree with you.

OP: it's generally accepted that getting carbs from fruits, veggies, and whole grains is much, much better than getting them from simple starches (potatoes, white pasta, white bread) that break down quickly. The carbs in fruit/veggies/whole grains break down into glucose much slower, which is why those are preferable to things like french fries and white dinner rolls.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Whole, unprocessed foods that contain carbohydrates, like fruit, vegetables and legumes are OK to eat as much as you desire.

Whole (non-glutenous) grains and white potatoes can be eaten, but if you are not losing weight, these would be the whole, plant based carbs to limit first.

Processed, refined carbohydrates, like breads, sugar, flour, HFCS, agave sweetener, etc, stay away from. The ideal amount of these foods is ZERO, and the closer you can get your intake of these foods to zero, the healthier you will be.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    If there is no specific medical reason why you need to refrain from eating carbs, then eat the carbs.
    If you don't enjoy holding slices of turkey and cheese with mayo in your hands, put it between slices of bread instead.
    If you don't enjoy a solo side of tomato sauce, pour it over pasta.
    If you don't enjoy the way your dinner plate looks with only meat and veggies on it and you have a missing feeling, rice goes really well in that empty place on your plate.

Do not restrict foods that you enjoy if you don't have to. Keep a calorie deficit and stay in your macros, all while eating the foods that you love and I guarantee that you will enjoy this process so much more. :flowerforyou:
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    all carbs are good... micronutrient dense carbs are better than nutrient void carbs.

there you go/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    carbs are not evil...just as fat is not evil...your body needs that stuff. Fad diets like Adkins and the like do not teach you how to eat for proper nutrition and balance; once carbs are reintroduced, people balloon right back up. It really depends on what you're wanting to do...for me, I'm losing weight, but also getting stronger and leaner; I don't want to be a big hulking mass of muscle, but I do want to be lean, strong, and muscular. So far, zone is working for me very well; 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% good fats. In all, I've dropped 10 Lbs and I'm starting to get some definition. To boot, my mind has never been clearer...I have more energy, and I sleep better.

I try to get most of my food carbs from complex sources like fruit, veg, and whole grains. I try to avoid simple sugars and processed stuff, but some is pretty much inevitable...and everyone deserves a treat now and then. My biggest obstacle in the carb category is my passion for red wine and other spirits.
  • drmerc
    Options
    carbs are not evil...just as fat is not evil...your body needs that stuff. Fad diets like Adkins and the like do not teach you how to eat for proper nutrition and balance; once carbs are reintroduced, people balloon right back up. It really depends on what you're wanting to do...for me, I'm losing weight, but also getting stronger and leaner; I don't want to be a big hulking mass of muscle, but I do want to be lean, strong, and muscular. So far, zone is working for me very well; 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% good fats. In all, I've dropped 10 Lbs and I'm starting to get some definition. To boot, my mind has never been clearer...I have more energy, and I sleep better.

I try to get most of my food carbs from complex sources like fruit, veg, and whole grains. I try to avoid simple sugars and processed stuff, but some is pretty much inevitable...and everyone deserves a treat now and then. My biggest obstacle in the carb category is my passion for red wine and other spirits.

What is so complex about fruit?
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    If there is no specific medical reason why you need to refrain from eating carbs, then eat the carbs.
    If you don't enjoy holding slices of turkey and cheese with mayo in your hands, put it between slices of bread instead.
    If you don't enjoy a solo side of tomato sauce, pour it over pasta.
    If you don't enjoy the way your dinner plate looks with only meat and veggies on it and you have a missing feeling, rice goes really well in that empty place on your plate.

Do not restrict foods that you enjoy if you don't have to. Keep a calorie deficit and stay in your macros, all while eating the foods that you love and I guarantee that you will enjoy this process so much more. :flowerforyou:

And this ^^^^....Yes!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

So you are saying that I can eat all my carbs from eating white bread pasta and rice .. So if I get a ton of carbs from veggies 100 grms a day it won`t effect weigh loss. This is all learning game to me when it comes to eat carbs or don`t eat carbs and from what source! Thanks.

No, it will not effect weight loss, assuming we are comparing two diets with equal amount of calories.

It goes without saying that eating a decent amount of vegetables everyday is good for you for other reasons.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Most fruits are considered a complex carbohydrate and nutrient dense food. The fiber does not allow the body to convert to glucose as quickly as just having a piece of candy or something.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    As my health instructor says: "none of us got here eating too many fruits and veggies". Load up!!
  • drmerc
    Options

Most fruits are considered a complex carbohydrate and nutrient dense food. The fiber does not allow the body to convert to glucose as quickly as just having a piece of candy or something.

Last time I checked fructose was a simple carb
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

And white bread is a simple carb, amirite?
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Last time I checked fructose was a simple carb

Yeah...but combined with the other nutrients as a whole it becomes complex. I'm not a nutritionalist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...and I can google. I don't even know what the arguement is here. I simply stated that carbs aren't evil and that I prefer to get mine from fruit, veg, and whole grains...if you prefer to get them from cookies, soda, and candy, it's no skin off my back and I'm sure the outcome is the same. I just prefer an orange to an orange soda is all...plus fruit keeps me feeling full.

I can only attest to my experience, and that is I'm feeling better than I have in decades trying to follow a zone diet and dumping my sodas and candies.