Do You Feel Sale?

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
Hey,

With the recent events that took place today, a lot of people have been talking about how they're going to be making changes in their lifestyles to reflect what's been going on in the world.

I've seen people mention they're going to put their kids into home school. I've seen some say they're going to start shopping online. I've seen some people want to quit their jobs, move somewhere secluded, and avoid society all together.

It makes me feel a little sad to see so many people wanting to isolate themselves from society in order to protect themselves from getting shot or stabbed.

This makes me want to question:

How safe do you feel in your community?

Are you ok going for a walk down the street? Are you ok going out in the middle of the night and walking the streets downtown, unarmed? Do you want to lock yourself in your house and never leave?

If you're answering, please include your city, state/province, and country, if you feel comfortable sharing such information.

Me:

Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

I feel incredibly safe. In fact, I've gone out for walks at 2 in the morning and never felt like I had to look over my shoulder. Even when I was living in Hamilton, Ontario, the "armpit" of Ontario, the only place I felt uncomfortable was right downtown in the middle of the night. I would still go if I had to. I never feared for my life.

Edit to note: I just posted the topic and realized I completely &^%$%@$@#ed up the title. Please ignore that... >.<

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    While I was in my hometown I did not feel safe. I never felt safe. However that was not a reflection of the town itself, so much as it was my own paranoia and anxiety. Agoraphobia I think it's called?
    I'm not sure about the town I just moved to. It's a lot smaller, and very friendly all around with a great community feel. I still make sure everything is locked at night though, and sometimes I'll wake up paranoid in the middle of the night thinking there's a stranger in my house but again, thats just me, not my community talking. It can get very stressful, to the point where my hair will actually begin to thin.

However considering my hair has been coming back I guess I could say I feel safer here than I did there. Likewise, my decision to change my body to suit my terms is not because of the society we live in today on THAT level, so much as I just think it would be really cool to be in full control of my body and make it do all the stuff the peeps in action movies do. Lol!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Terrible things have been happening since the beginning of time. The big difference is that now we have faster communication networks so it seems like everything is happening in your own backyard. It's good to be prepared and run through scenarios in your mind once in a while to have a plan for those big, horrific events, but you can't live in fear. It's a fine line.
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I live in a small safe town (Rohnert Park, CA, US). I felt comfortable going for a walk at 3 am no problem. I no longer feel safe anywhere I go, no matter what town it is. In 2011 I became a witness in a murder case as I was confronted by the killer. It has completely ruined my sense of safety. I no longer go anywhere alone in the dark. I won't even walk from my front door to my car alone. It has made life challeging at best and I'm blessed to have a very understanding husband and friends.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I live in US, Alexandria, VA. A 15 minute drive outside of Washington, DC and I feel safe. I'm not careless though. When I'm out at night, I've very aware of my surroundings. However with the recent events it does make one think, "that could easily have been here". It is scary, but I don't want to live my life in fear. My parents are scared enough for me.

I grew up in a small town, I felt less safe there then I do living in the city. But my mom tells me all the time she doesn't want me walking around by myself.. my dad requested I start carrying mace, and my brother wants me to carry a gun. I won't do any of those. I don't want to carry a gun on me at all times, if I'm going to carry a weapon it will be a knife. I'd likely spray myself with pepper spray as much as I'd spray any one trying to hurt me. As for walking around by myself, I'm not going to rely on my boyfriend to babysit me when I'm out of my own house.

I just don't feel the same. And yes I do feel safe where I live. I feel safe when I go into the city and take the metro home day/night. When things like this, oregon mall shooting, connecticut shooting, and the china stabbing it does make you think about being more safe, but I wouldn't really pack my things and move to the middle of nowhere.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I never feel safe.

I live in South Florida which, compared to, lets say, South Africa or Somolia, it is pretty safe.
    However, I have seen what humans can do to other humans and as a result, I won't be a victim.... ever....

I do carry almost everywhere I go (legally obviously)
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    yeah i feel safe going out for a walk i live in a tiny town call summerland bc canada it a farming and retirement community so no fear. i lived in penticton 10 min away theres the odd jerk offs but i never felt fear or a need to watch my back i lived there for almost 18 years. i was born in calgary that was safe back in the day now no way would i trust doing the things i did as a kid and i feel the same way about edmonton.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Corrales, New Mexico, USA

I feel perfectly safe other than my daily 2 hours of commuting during rush hour.
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I live in the metro-Atlanta area.

I never feel safe.

I don't walk alone. I carry mace on me. My husband and I are working on buying and safely learning to use a gun.

Such is life.
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Today definately has been an eye opener. Who would think you would lose your babies when you send them to school.? I feel safe in the town where I live. I feel safe to walk around the neighborhood at anytime. Unfortunately we have had robberies in our Community. I live in a suburb in Tampa Bay. I feel so sad for all the parents and their families who lost a loved one today. I just want to cuddle with all my children tonight.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i live in a very safe county, very low crime rates and all that, but i live in a dodgy area of that county. i would not go out side late at night, its just not safe. the other night i had to go to an industrial part of town late at night and my husband had to come with me. we are very well protected in our house, i feel safe being home alone. i just dont trust my neighbors.

i'm jsut across the bridge from san francisco, most of the areas here are very wealthy and very low crime. just not my area.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Alberta, Canada.

I feel very safe. I have never looked over my shoulder during a walk and have never been a victim of crime (knock on wood). Occasionally I forget to lock my doors at my house, and it doesn't bother me at all.... I think nothing of it.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I live in Aurora, CO, US, about two miles from the movie theater, and about six blocks from where the shooter lived. I also work on the campus where he attended school. I still feel safe most of the time, especially during the day. I would not go out anywhere on my own late at night. And I know what parts of town are generally less-safe than others.

Bad things are going to happen everywhere, and as ebr250 said, it's good to be prepared. I always have my phone on me and I always look for the exit door when I'm inside, things like that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I never feel safe.

I don't walk alone. I carry mace on me. My husband and I are working on buying and safely learning to use a gun.

Such is life.

I'm sorry you feel you need to carry a gun in order to feel safe. I guess it's a little different to be out alone as a woman.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Abundantly more Americans die in person on person violence, e.g. a leading cause of death (more than cancer) of young adult American women is their intimate partner. Therefore it makes more sense to worry about that. And there I do feel safe more days than not.

But knowing the limitations of our mental health lack of a system, the inability of mental health pros to predict or do anything to actually prevent violence, the free and easy access to legal guns by mentally unstable individuals and the free and easy access to illegal weapons by anyone at all, and the vulnerable nature of the victims in this instances, no I don't feel safe. No matter how safe the community seems.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I just recently moved 2 weeks ago to Reading, PA. This city is known for having the highest crime rates in the state. While our house is not directly in the city, it is within a mile of all the chaos. There are murders nearly every day.

There's a rail trail that literally goes across the street from our house and I'd love to use it for running. Earlier this year, a 65-yr. old cyclist was attacked by three adolescents on the trail. He was carrying gun and shot two of them and the third ran. This is not the first incident on this trail, unfortunately. The news article is here if you're interested: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/weird/Thun-Trail-Shooting-Juveniles-Cyclist-138097778.html

I would like to think I would be "safe" on the trail since events like this only happen once or twice a year, but I don't want it to be me. I will be getting a carrying permit anyway. I will never go on this trail at night.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Kansas City. And no. We have a higher murder rate than NYC. I live in a low-rent, high crime area, so double no. I'm also a woman, and thus do not leave the house alone after dark. Triple no.
  • gottaTuscany
    gottaTuscany Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I live in Portland, Oregon, USA. I feel safe in my neighborhood. I generally feel safe in Portland. Would I walk around in the wee hours of the morning? Yes, and I have. I am never armed, I don't like weapons. Anywhere I am in this world, I try to stay in populated areas, and fully believe in the buddy system. I use common sense in isolated environments, like avoiding them. That said, these shootings happened in broad daylight, in populated areas.

Life is a contradiction - In general, I don't think the world is safe, but you have to keep living your life.

I am heart broken by what happened in the Connecticut school and the Oregon mall I have shopped in many times. But I won't crawl away and hide in my house either.

God bless the families and communities affected by these tragic events. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • kellylynn125
    Options
    I'm from Boston and I feel safe to a point. I am definitely street smart from growing up here and I know where/when it is is safe to walk alone. I am fine when I go jogging, but I know which neighborhoods to stay away from, and I make sure to only go during the day when there are plenty of other people around.

On the other hand, my roommates have bars on every window of our apartment. I absolutely would never leave my door unlocked because I honestly don't trust people.
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I live in Portland, OR near where the mall shooting took place.

I feel reasonably safe even at night but I do believe in taking realistic precautions: I maintain awareness of my surroundings, keep doors locked at night, and live (and walk) with a large protective dog (he doubles as a warm and cuddly blanket).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I never feel safe.

Such is life.

I live in metro-Atlanta too. South metro, even... and I have been known to go out jogging at 10pm at night.

Maybe you live in a rough neighborhood, but I think some people are just paranoid. Random acts of violence can occur anytime, anywhere, and there is absolutely no way to prevent it or prepare for it.