Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck?

Options

Replies

• VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I would, because then maybe my son would play with it instead of all the damn dolls I keep buying him.

I see what yur doin here. Lol. LOLOL.

(notsrs)
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What a child plays with does NOT determine that child's sexual preference later on. It most certainly will NOT make someone gay.

And don't worry about what friends or family thinks or says. Just remind them that being gay doesn't evolve from childhood toys or clothes.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    just give her the truck...and then start saven up for an old lifted ford when she turns 16
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a Mom not a Dad, but of course. I grew up on 4 wheelers, tractors, shooting, and playing football. And it didn't turn me gay. (Well maybe a little, but that's another story.)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My husband would. He would also teach his girls to shoot a bow and arrow, deer hunt, and allow them to participate in martial arts and basketball.
    He also does not carewhen the boys want to play with dolls (they see their Daddy feeding and changing the new baby...and they like to emulate Daddy.) He does not freak out when all us girls are painting our toenails and the boys want theirs painted, too (althought they usually ask for green "like the Hulk!")
    It's just toys. It's just play.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Totally normal.
    I wanted to be a fireman when I was a little girl. Screw that princess crap LOL.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, most of my daughter's toys are considered "boy" toys.
  • Susanthecatwhisperer
    Options
    I loved my trucks as a child! I got in a fight over a dump truck someone tried to steal when I was 4. It was a really cool truck...
    I never got into dolls, but stuffed animals were my favorite!
    I'm now 40-something, a veterinary technician. My hubby is a car nut. We have multiple cats (no kids).
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Get her what she wants? What's the alternative, to buy her something more "gender appropriate" that she hasn't asked for? What purpose would that serve?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OM gosh..for sure!!

There is a woman in the UK Hilary Devey made a shed load of money from trucks and maybe her daddy didn`t even buy her a toy when she was little.

But seriously, children need to explore and that is why there are toys.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Why would you buy her one? That would just reinforce gender roles and set the stage for female oppression. *Sigh*

Okay, I'm being slightly extreme and sarcastic, but seriously, I don't understand why you wouldn't. My daughter plays trucks with my son (who is older) and then insists on wearing a giant puffy poodle skirt to go shopping.

Then again, I also paint my son's fingernails if we girls are and he asks. He's four, and I'm sure he'll stop asking soon, but for now who cares? He's already coming home with ideas of what girls do and boys do and how girls aren't supposed to like boy things and vice versa. It's nonsense.

My sister had trucks and motorcycles when she was little. Now she does all of her own car work, changes her oil, and is rehabbing an older motorcycle. For her 8-5 day job, she runs an embroidery shop. Doesn't appear to have messed her up to play with trucks when she was little. Maybe I'm missing something here.

ETA: We have photos of my brother running around in a tutu when he was little. He also played dolls and stuff with my sister. No problems there either.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    yes I would buy her one. My daughter (8 years old) loves monster trucks and wants the EL TORO LOCO one especially since we actually took her to see them live in our city and the driver of that one is a woman!!
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    OMG NO! Get my little princess a truck? Next thing you know she'll be wanting to wear plaid and cut down trees with an axe...

*just in case anyone thinks I'm serious, I don't have a daughter...but if I did, I still wouldn't buy her a truck. But I'd totally buy her the axe and the plaid shirt.

Go LadyJacks!
    http://www.sfasu.edu/
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    All these threads remind of a Christmas when my little sister' favorite gift was a plastic set of tools. She wanted her hammer and screwdriver!!! And she's a girly-girl, wearing only pink dresses, if she could have the only choice.

It's not a sex thing, it's a thing of interest. Children have different interests at some points and their imagination projects thongs into the toys far beyond our understanding. The doll or the truck has in their minds a far different meaning than our `sexist` talk.

Not to talk that maybe a child is just curios of different toys, which he/she sees only other children, of opposite sex, play with.

So I would give to a child the toy he wants, within some financial boundaries.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It's such a strange double standard. No one takes issue with buying their girls "boy" toys, but flip it around, and it's weird. Sure, there are parents on here who say that their son plays with his sister's barbies, or that they would buy their son a simple doll. But would they go out and buy their son a full on barbie dreamhouse? I highly doubt it. Yet, I can't think of one masculine toy a parent would be hesitant to buy their daughter.

And this stretches beyond just toys. Think about clothes. Girls can wear jeans, Tshirts with superheros...but can a boy go to school in a dress, paint his nails? Not without a bunch of stares and getting his orientation questioned.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No I would not.
    Toy trucks are wrong. I want my girls to really really know the world they belong in. They get curlers and little costumes and castles and fairy stuff. Maybe finger nail polish and dolls and kitchen stuff. It shows them where they can play. Oh, perhaps a hammer and Legos have slipped in. Climbing equipment? Yeah, ok but purple. Ok a BMX too. Ok, ok one rode RAGBRAI with me.

Of course this year, they are getting books on bike maintenance, kick boxing equipment, a power drill and a micro surgery kit (my oldest is studying biology). And a bunch of girly stuff too.

If they want a toy truck, they can make their own - they already know how to use a tin snip, a lathe and a press.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I already have, and boxing gloves and she loves them

IMG_20120627_091212_zpsd04f7c2c.jpg

She's going to be able to kick my *kitten* someday, and I'm going to teach her how
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    I like how this thread was made...it's nice to see how our answers compare with the other thread/situation...

I am obviously not a father, but I just wanted to say that I never had barbie dolls/dolls in general because we were poor and I had 2 older brothers, so I got to play with the toys that my parents could eventually afford /were given for them.... so transformers !! = )
  • Gemalar
    Gemalar Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I had toy trucks bought for me when I was a kid infact it was my treat for good behaviour to have a toy car bought for me..... I also worked on cars with my dad as a teen, it did me no harm and I don't think I'm any less of a girl for it lol In fact I think I grew up a little more well rounded having had experiences that some girls didn't.

Go get the truck :bigsmile:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old daughter already has a remote control apache helicopter which she saved up her allowance money to buy. She has a fishing pole on her Christmas list (bright pink of course!) which she's getting, and she just had a dinosaur themed birthday party. She also has a bright pink skate board, a surf board, lots of barbies, etc. She also played Call of Duty, Modern Warfare with me until her mom thought better of it (in hindsight I think maybe mom was right)! She plays with what she wants within my financial means. I think it may be easier though for girls playing with all sorts of toys than boys playing with dolls. I don't think its wise to put too much emphasis on what kids play with one way or the other. That said I do think its easier for girls to be tom boys than for boys to play with girls' toys. In the end though so what. We love our kids, work to let them be themselves and try to teach them how to avoid bullying, etc. Its all part of growing up.

By the way _Bob_ up there^, you're daughter is a total bad *** - love it!