Yo's successful carb cycling routine with diet and regime!

Options

Replies

• tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a few times how my other half as got to look the way she has, which you can see directly below in the pictures here:

yosback.jpg

abzilla.jpg

Vid of her recently squatting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrE3Ez5-aXc

Diet
    In terms of her diet, its very simple. 3 days of low/no carbs and 1 day of higher carbs. Whilst she doesn't eat the same foods every day exactly, her typical day will fit around this as it keeps costs low and is healthy.

Low Carbs Day
    Meal 1: 120g lean steak/fish/venision with 30g nuts
    Meal 2: 100g chicken/turkey breast and veg
    Meal 3: lean steak/fish/venision , some green vegetables with a small handful of nuts
    Pre-Workout Meal: protein shake
    Meal 4: protein shake, 15g of Glutamine
    Meal 5: 150g white fish and 100g vegetables

High Carbs Days
    Meal 1: 80g oatswith water, and a scoop of whey protein.
    Meal 2: 120g chicken breast and veg
    Meal 3: 120g extra lean steak, veg and 60g wholegrain rice or similar
    Pre-Workout Meal: protein shake
    Meal 4: protein shake, 15g Glutamine
    Meal 5: 120g white fish, 2-3 baby potatoes potato and veg
    Meal 6: protein pancake with 30g peanut butter

Supplements
    All supplements supplied by Gaspari (since I am a Gaspari rep/athlete).

Fish Oil
    Multivitamins
    Glutamine (as she trains)
    BCAA’s (as she trains)
    L-Carnitine (in multi vit)
    CLA
    Whey Protein
    ZMA

Cardio
    50 mins of SSCV 4-5 days a week. We will be changing this to HIIT in the new year to see how she reacts to it.

Weights

Quads
    Leg Extensions - 20-25 reps x 3 sets
    Leg Press - 20-25 reps x 4 sets
    Hack Squat or squats depending on availability - 10-12 reps x 4 sets
    Body Weight lunges - length of gym x 12 (6 each direction)
    Leg Extensions (heavy as poss) - 12 reps x 3/4 sets

Back
    Assisted Overhand Pull Ups - 12 reps x 3 sets
    Reverse Grip Pulldowns - 12 reps x 4 sets
    DB Row on incline bench - 12 reps x 4 sets
    Hyperextensions - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Low Row 12-15 reps x 3/4 sets
    Straight Arm Pulldowns - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    DB or BB Shrugs - 12-15 reps x 3/4 sets (sometimes done on shoulders day)

Shoulders
    Seated Lateral Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Standing Lateral Raise 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Incline Front Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Standing Front Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    BB/DB or Machine Overhead Press - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Incline DB Front Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Incline DB Delt Fly - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Cable Face Pulls - 12-15 reps x 4 sets (depending on time, sometimes less work done)

Chest
    Machine Fly - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    DB Fly - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Cable Fly - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    DB/BB or Machine Press - 12-15 reps x 4 sets

Hams and Calves
    Seated Calf Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Lying Ham Curl - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Leg Press Calf Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Leg Press Deep (knees touching chest) - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Standing Calf Raise - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Seated Ham Curl - 12-15 reps x 4 sets

Bi's and Tri's
    Standing DB Curl - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Cable Reverse Grip Tricep Pulldown - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    DB Preacher Curls - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Cable Tricep Pushdown - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    DB Hammer Curls - 12-15 reps x 4 sets
    Single Arm Cable Kick Backs - 12-15 reps x 4 sets

Using the above regime she has achieved what you have seen in the photos and taken her squat in two months from 25kg to 77.5kg and indeed most of her lifts actually match mine body weight for body weight (e.g. pro rata, if we were the same weight as me, she would be lifting the same as me.

Pretty damned impressive for someone who has been only training for 6 months and weight lifting with me for only 2 months. I'm excited for her future - she can go far in my book!

50 minutes of cardio 5 times a week !?! She does Cardio ! A lot of cardio
  • jgirlredzz
    Options
    I'd just like to chime in that as a woman, building muscle happens really fast for me too. The difference between me and Yo is that I had a lot of fat to lose before the muscle could be seen. Once I got my fat percentage down around 20% (through diet and cardio) I started lifting weights (just casually on my own) and boom! Literally in a matter of weeks I had back and arm definition.
    I see Yo's physique and I have no question that it's natural muscle. Her muscles are totally proportional to her frame. She started lean and I'd bet money that she would test clean.
    Well done to you both.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to chime in that as a woman, building muscle happens really fast for me too. The difference between me and Yo is that I had a lot of fat to lose before the muscle could be seen. Once I got my fat percentage down around 20% (through diet and cardio) I started lifting weights (just casually on my own) and boom! Literally in a matter of weeks I had back and arm definition.
    I see Yo's physique and I have no question that it's natural muscle. Her muscles are totally proportional to her frame. She started lean and I'd bet money that she would test clean.
    Well done to you both.

Thank you - well said.

Seems natural on MFP for someone to do well and others to try to knock them!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    I tried carb cycling-waaaay too rough on hypoglycemics.

i got great results before i decided the hospital wasnt a great idea.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if I were to just follow the workout routine and the diet without the supplements if I could still achieve these results. Are there results unreachable without supplements or would it just take a bit longer or are the supplements simply to make it easier but not really all that necessary?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I have to wonder if I were to just follow the workout routine and the diet without the supplements if I could still achieve these results. Are there results unreachable without supplements or would it just take a bit longer or are the supplements simply to make it easier but not really all that necessary?

There is no need to copy anyone's workout or diet. A larger male is clearly not suited to the diet of a smaller female for starters.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've seen this thread before...so glad it pops up on the feed every now and then so I can look at Yo's pictures for motivation :)
    You and Yo are so inspiring, keep it up!
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bumpy for later
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

There is no need to copy anyone's workout or diet. A larger male is clearly not suited to the diet of a smaller female for starters.

I guess we could all come up with our own workout routines and our own diets but I am just getting started and I don't see anything wrong with learning from the example set by those who have already achieved what I am setting out to do.

Obviously the amount of weight used and the number of reps in an exercise would have to be adjusted for other people but the exercise itself would be the same.

Obviously I am not going to eat the exact same portions as someone twice or half my size but the specific foods can be beneficial regardless of gender or size.

You also never actually addressed the question I was asking. Was your comment simply a way of calling me stupid?
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I personally think that Yo's routine is too tough for me and I admire her for doing for such a routine! But that's not to say that it is too tough for you. And all of out eating plans and lifting routines are copies from somewhere else.

I also think the eating plan is pretty good too. It's broken out to 5-6 meals a day and (I'm guessing here) it's at a deficit before a competition to cut and probably at a surplus during off season to bulk/add muscle. If you proportion the food out to your size and weight and to meet your goals (bulk or cut), it is as good as anything else.

I also think that the fish oil, multi-vitamin and whey protein are the only supplements you need if you are not competing (and even then I'm not sure the rest of them would be necessary.)

I say try it. Say for a month to 6 week. At least a 20 gram protein supplement/shake before AND after a lifting session, fish oil and vitamin as directed. Lots of water, get plenty of sleep, etc......

Yo (and Matt) also appear to be "genetically gifted" as to body composition. So your results may or may not equal theirs, but you are not going to lose anything by trying and it may turn out to the best thing you ever did.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I guess we could all come up with our own workout routines and our own diets but I am just getting started and I don't see anything wrong with learning from the example set by those who have already achieved what I am setting out to do.

Obviously the amount of weight used and the number of reps in an exercise would have to be adjusted for other people but the exercise itself would be the same.

Obviously I am not going to eat the exact same portions as someone twice or half my size but the specific foods can be beneficial regardless of gender or size.

You also never actually addressed the question I was asking. Was your comment simply a way of calling me stupid?

I would start your own thread asking for advice.
    Include height, weight, lifting experience, lifting numbers, any injuries etc. Start from there.

But to answer your question, yes you can get very lean without supplements.
  • stinadorantes
    stinadorantes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Does she do three days no carbs/low carbs then one day high carb then start back over agin with three days no/low one day high?
  • stinadorantes
    stinadorantes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she spreads them out about 3 hrs apart too?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Why such limited ROM on her squat? What days does she bench and DL?
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    awesome! wish I had time to dedicate to this....
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Bump for reference.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    So much respect. I don't have the discipline for that. Fantastic for her. And that's wonderful she has someone so supportive of her.