your take on Ramen Noodles ??

123457»

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    My favorite treat...especially when drinking. The beef flavored ones are the bomb.

But so not healthy in the least.
  • How about trying rice stick noodles and adding your own seasoning. That way you know exactly what is in it and you're not eating a ton of processed crud. I try to eat whole food as much as possible. BTW, rice stick noodles take under 3 minutes to cook. :) You could Google recipes for them. Take care and good luck.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    They might be okay if you eat one serving size, but back in the day I could easily eat two packages (with the addition of butter) and still be hungry.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Not the best, but occasionally, for a quick meal I think they are acceptable. I throw in a handful of frozen vegetables and either put an egg in it or some leftover meat bits and it's a decent meal.
  • belizsera
    belizsera Posts: 82 Member
    loaded with fat and sodium. Horrible!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I eat them a couple of times a month. Let's put it this way: I'm still working my way through a pack that I bought from Costco three or four years ago.

I leave out the packet, and usually boil peppers, onions, and shrimp at the same time. It's 380 calories and 14 gm of fat for a block (190 calories and 7 gm of fat per serving, two servings per block -- according to the nutritional label), so let's round up to 450ish by the time you add the shrimp. It keeps me satisfied, and is a good-sized lunch for my calories (1,550), and sodium has never been a problem for me -- I don't salt food, period, so I have no issues with it. I also don't see 14 gm as being OMG HIGH FAT, especially when shrimp has .06 gm per medium raw shrimp.

All things in moderation.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,321 Member
    In the early 1980s, I went with a group of friends to Big Bend Ntnl park. After descending the mountain after nearly freezing to death the night before and tracking through a brief snow on the mountain, we stopped at a campsite and opened up a packet of Ramen Noodles. It was probably the best meal I ever ate... For the first time in hours I felt warmth in my body... Healthy or not, it was mighty good on that mountainside. (I have not had any in years but whenever they are mentioned, my mind always goes back to that day in Big Bend)...

What a great story.. i think Ramen Noodles are a life saver. like disaster relief food..it should be appreciated. I know my college aged daughter says so..they fit her budget when she's waiting for her pay check and are tasty.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    I rarely eat them. When I do I fix them as directed then drain the broth. Usually I add leftover veggies.
  • Like every has said, the amount of sodium is bananas. I love Ramen noodles, but crap like that gave me hypertension. After switching to a low-sodium diet, my blood pressure is now healthy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I haven't read the entire thread - but as SideSteel is fond of saying, "it all depends upon context and dosage". IMO, if you have no allergies/sensitivities and are eating them once in a while within the framework of a well-balanced diet while hitting your calorie/macro goals, no harm done. If you're subsisting on them for 2-3 meals a day, probably not a good thing for a few reasons.
  • The only time I want them is when I am sick. That is when I need sodium. But I do have an asian recipie that uses them ... yum!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Just tried another place today down by the university. The broth gave me the impression that it was loaded with pork fat. Very tasty. Maybe I'll bump this thread every time I go out for Ramen. It makes me feel smug, in light of all the alarmist comments about how "unhealthy" it is :wink:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I've been known to eat them. 2 packs, of course. With...wait for it.... BOTH packets of seasoning. Boom.

Of course, I only do this maybe twice a month.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    oooh....i used to LOOOVE ramen noodles. Then i developed an allergy to shellfish. Turns out Ramen is processed on equipment that also processes shellfish so i won't ever eat it again....but ahhhh, the memories....