Food Diary CHEATERS!

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Isn't it funny how these threads can spin out of control? Sometimes I get wrapped up in a thread, and I think...seriously? Did it really come to this? lol
    That happened to me just the other day, and I was thinking, "How did I get myself into this?" :laugh:

It happened to me yesterday/today, and I ended up in a big debate about something so silly, but sometimes you just get sucked in- especially when someone's being unreasonable. :grumble:
  • noseovertail
    Options
    GAWWWWW.....go run some laps or something....wayyyy too much time on your hands..

seriously.... :noway: is it really that big of a deal that random people on the internet are "cheating" on their food diary. get over it..

Totally and wholeheartedly agree.
  • mlove1307
    Options
    This post is why I don't even bother to make my diary public. I have lost 100 pounds but I do not believe people NEED to get ideas from ME... I eat what I want within reason because life is too short to always deprive yourself. I am currently at a 75/25 split of staying under my calories and going over a bit. In the end, I am maintaining my weight loss and am just working towards "dream goal."

I wish I could make some of my diary public, but my bad days.. who wants to see those?

It sucks to see a friend hurting themselves but they really won't get it, until THEY get it.. you know? That moment I'm sure you had when it hit you that you can't keep doing what you were doing.. Like the people who have been on this site for three months and are whining that they only lost two pounds and when you look at their diary its absolute $h!t.. but its not like I'm gonna say "hey, you, this is why you haven't lost and are actually gaining inches (aka getting fatter) because no one gains inches of muscle on their tummy that fast".

Like my dad always said, pick your battles. And I think these battles aren't mine to pick. I've got my own struggles to contend with, like the pudding that is currently calling my name. :tongue:

I just had to edit this and add that you are absolutely right in my case about the "being cheated theory".. I sat here and thought "oh, how could that be true for me?.." and then realized I wasn't cheated out of love and attention, but instead cheated out of a proper education on how to take care of myself. My parents taught me to overeat and ignore what my body was telling me and I have spent years un-learning it all. Such a revelation.. Thank you. :]
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Like the people who have been on this site for three months and are whining that they only lost two pounds and when you look at their diary its absolute $h!t.. but its not like I'm gonna say "hey, you, this is why you haven't lost and are actually gaining inches (aka getting fatter) because no one gains inches of muscle on their tummy that fast".

i'm not sure if you were directing this specifically to me or not, but it feels like it since i just posted a topic titled 'gaining inches', have been here a little more than three months and have lost two pounds. if it wasn't, i guess i'm being too sensitive. but if it was, wow! harsh! you have no idea what medical issue i am dealing with, how long i've been working at losing weight before logging my food on mfp, why these last two weeks look really abnormal compared to the whole, etc. i didn't realize you can only whine about not losing weight if your food diary is perfect. and to tell you the truth, i wasn't whining or asking for advice or even pretending it was muscle gain. i was just throwing it out there because i'm frustrated and a little sad and maybe it's happened to somebody else and they can be encouraging.

but if i'm just imagining that comment was aimed at me, please excuse my defensive attitude.
    dawn
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Like the people who have been on this site for three months and are whining that they only lost two pounds and when you look at their diary its absolute $h!t.. but its not like I'm gonna say "hey, you, this is why you haven't lost and are actually gaining inches (aka getting fatter) because no one gains inches of muscle on their tummy that fast".

i'm not sure if you were directing this specifically to me or not, but it feels like it since i just posted a topic titled 'gaining inches', have been here a little more than three months and have lost two pounds. if it wasn't, i guess i'm being too sensitive. but if it was, wow! harsh! you have no idea what medical issue i am dealing with, how long i've been working at losing weight before logging my food on mfp, why these last two weeks look really abnormal compared to the whole, etc. i didn't realize you can only whine about not losing weight if your food diary is perfect. and to tell you the truth, i wasn't whining or asking for advice or even pretending it was muscle gain. i was just throwing it out there because i'm frustrated and a little sad and maybe it's happened to somebody else and they can be encouraging.

but if i'm just imagining that comment was aimed at me, please excuse my defensive attitude.
    dawn

You're right, that was harsh. I read your post and didn't think you were whining, and you weren't asking anyone why it happened, you were venting like we all do.
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    people will do what they want I guess...don't let it bother you..not worth it. As long as you're being true to your goals and can smile honestly with your achievements, that's all that matters. I find I need to be totally accountable on here...that's the purpose....or I'm never going to reach my goal.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Like I said, maybe I'm just being hard on people because I know the effort I am putting forth, but I just had to put this out there!....

Any opinions, judgements, ideas-I am definitely open to reading because Lord knows that sometimes, I have looked at things from the wrong angle. I just really don't see a "right" angle.
    The reality is that most people are overweight due in part to not being accountable to themselves. Yes, it can be frustrating to see that in other people, but you have to just let it go and concentrate on yourself instead, and stay positive in your thoughts.

I'm going to tell you a little story about a job I once had. It was in a weight loss center, and many potential clients came through the door looking for a magic key to losing weight. It was an eye-opener for me, that many very heavy people would say during their interview that they "hardly ate" and "never snacked" yet could not lose weight. But in the meanwhile, right there in their pockets, were little mints and candies and other small goodies that they constantly popped in their mouths. A lifesaver or gummy candy only has 10 calories, but when you eat 50 of them a day, that is 500 calories. Who knows what additional snacking went on in their cars and at home. My point is that some people are just not ready to take responsiblilty for their own weight problems and why they are not losing. [I'm not talking about medical conditions, or those last hard-to-lose-few-pounds.] There are 100 ways people will deny their own responsibility for their weight. Constant small snacking is one way. Not being honest with themselves in their food log is another of the ways.

But, rather than you take on their burdens of lack of accountability, use it instead as a learning experience for yourself to keep focused and truthful on your own path, so that you can make the progress you want. Let them learn at their own pace, and maybe offer support if you want, but don't take on their problems as something that you become stressful about.

Here's to everyone finding their way on the path to a healthy diet and lifestyle, and to having us each find enlightenment on what our problem areas are so that we can improve. :flowerforyou:
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This post is why I don't even bother to make my diary public. I have lost 100 pounds but I do not believe people NEED to get ideas from ME... I eat what I want within reason because life is too short to always deprive yourself. I am currently at a 75/25 split of staying under my calories and going over a bit. In the end, I am maintaining my weight loss and am just working towards "dream goal."

I wish I could make some of my diary public, but my bad days.. who wants to see those?

It sucks to see a friend hurting themselves but they really won't get it, until THEY get it.. you know? That moment I'm sure you had when it hit you that you can't keep doing what you were doing.. Like the people who have been on this site for three months and are whining that they only lost two pounds and when you look at their diary its absolute $h!t.. but its not like I'm gonna say "hey, you, this is why you haven't lost and are actually gaining inches (aka getting fatter) because no one gains inches of muscle on their tummy that fast".

Like my dad always said, pick your battles. And I think these battles aren't mine to pick. I've got my own struggles to contend with, like the pudding that is currently calling my name. :tongue:

I just had to edit this and add that you are absolutely right in my case about the "being cheated theory".. I sat here and thought "oh, how could that be true for me?.." and then realized I wasn't cheated out of love and attention, but instead cheated out of a proper education on how to take care of myself. My parents taught me to overeat and ignore what my body was telling me and I have spent years un-learning it all. Such a revelation.. Thank you. :]

I think we don't NEED to learn from you, but it would be great if we could! 100 lbs is an amazing accomplishment and obviously you are doing something right! I dont ever deprive myself either. If there is something I want, I eat it because I know "skinny" people out there eat it, too. They just dont eat 2lbs of it! That's what I am learning now; how to enjoy things in the smallest amount rather than the whole thing! Its just as good to me now!

I was cheated in the same way. I was one of those kids that had to eat everything on their plate, and yes, sometimes I didnt want to eat because I wanted to play. But I will bet most of the time, its because I wasnt hungry. And as adults, we eat when we want. I am doing EVERYTHING I can to do it right this time, but I still eat at 8 at night. So perhaps, instead of cheating my kids into thinking there are set times to eat and you MUST ALWAYS finish your food, I should teach them that you eat when you are hungry, but only until you are full.

Its funny that you mention the not being taught to care for yourself because as an adult, I have taught my own mother things about self-care. (Maybe too much FYI, but my mother is young and she is hott lil mama, but she never wore a thong or a tampon until I taught her!) She never did anything with her hair until I taught her. She always picked at her zits until they were horrible scars on her face until I taught her. And I realized that she had never been taught either. Let me tell you my grandmother is a spunky lil thing that used to wear big dresses and 4" stillettos...in her 50s, to work...and she worked in a park! So Im not sure why my mother wasnt taught...but either way, she wasnt-and she is overweight. And I wasnt-and Im overweight.

Thank you for validating what I believed about my VOID!
  • karmasBFF
    Options

But, rather than you take on their burdens of lack of accountability, use it instead as a learning experience for yourself to keep focused and truthful on your own path, so that you can make the progress you want. Let them learn at their own pace, and maybe offer support if you want, but don't take on their problems as something that you become stressful about.

Here's to everyone finding their way on the path to a healthy diet and lifestyle, and to having us each find enlightenment on what our problem areas are so that we can improve. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for your insight. You are absolutely right! I have to stop worrying so much about everybody else and just focus on my and those around me that hold the same ideals. Stress makes you fat, and I'm tired of being fat!

Thank you everyone!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    hmmm many comments on this.

1) sometimes i log days ahead of time when I am planning to eat something unhealthy and then I go back and change it if I didn't. So that may be a case why things are being changed. Like tommorow night I am eating out so I logged my dinner and beer :smile: If plans change, i will change it.

2) I wonder sometimes if people cheat as well. I don't. Sometimes my log looks bad but thats what it was. I often wonder that though and when people say i work out this many times a week for an hour and a half. i am in good shape and working out for 45-60 minutes of hard cardio is hard for me... what are they DOING at the gym i wonder.

3) on a later post people commented on some people not loosing a lot of weight but being on here awhile. I know it wasn't directed at me but I can say some peopel don't have a lot to loose. I have about 8 lbs left and my main goal is getting in shape not loose weight so my only having lost 3 lbs is okay with me.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options

Thank you for your insight. You are absolutely right! I have to stop worrying so much about everybody else and just focus on my and those around me that hold the same ideals. Stress makes you fat, and I'm tired of being fat!

Thank you everyone!

Ya, you can focus on yourself but it is annoying. :smile: Its okay to be annoyed with other people I think.
  • karmasBFF
    Options

Thank you everyone!

Ya, you can focus on yourself but it is annoying. :smile: Its okay to be annoyed with other people I think.

Thanks! It is annoying, but, now, after all of your great posts, I could care less! hehehehe

I feel good again!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    i actually hate that it encourages being under the calories. i'm at 1200 calories/day and have reached a point where i'm so adjusted to it that i'm having trouble consistently hitting my calories. i don't want to be encouraged for under eating.

I hate this part too! I think it does encourage people to under-eat and then we see 100 posts about "hey, I stopped losing weight and I can't figure it out?"
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    All I know is I log everything, the good, the bad, and the fugly, yes, fugly!!! I know I am not a nutritionist/dietician, but, dang it, I am trying to lose weight , and old habits are hard to break. If you see bad food in my diary, pls do nto be mad at me, just know that I will try to do better tomorrow...
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. they are the ones that will end up not losing weight.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You sound like me 5 or so year ago, when I was feeling confident about myself and my progress in life and just wanted EVERYONE to "get it". Then I'd get super frustrated because people just weren't seeing it "my way" and would be negative about it!

Then I learned (through therapy no less) that I can't control what other people say/do because they aren't ME. They are wired differently (brain), have been raised differently (environment) and have different personalities. You can see the variety of people who responded and get a good idea of just how different we all are!

My response to your initial post is "I'm not surprised" :) There are some different people out there! I've been on the net dabbling in social networks for 15 years now and it's a free world but it's a complex one as well. Had I come across someone like you mention I would have either a) stopped responding or b) deleted the person. NOT because I'm negative, but because I'm just a different person than him/her and I chose to no longer spend any of my energy/brain on someone that different. "Good Luck" I'd say :)

I believe in putting out positive energy because that's how you get it back. Doesn't always work, because there is so much negativity out there, but I CAN control what I do!

I am controlling my response to all the people who were so blatantly negative to you in this thread because they're SO NOT WORTH IT, but thanks for proving my point people ;););)

Your one of the good ones KarmasBFF, I can feel your positive energy and need to help others :) Keep up all of the great work you're doing!
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    You sound like me 5 or so year ago, when I was feeling confident about myself and my progress in life and just wanted EVERYONE to "get it". Then I'd get super frustrated because people just weren't seeing it "my way" and would be negative about it!

Then I leared (through therapy no less) that I can't control what other people say/do because they aren't ME. They are wired differently (brain), have been raised differently (environment) and have different personalities. You can see the variety of people who responded and get a good idea of just how different we all are!

My response to your initial post is "I'm not surprised" :) There are some different people out there! I've been on the net dabbling in social networks for 15 years now and it's a free world but it's a complex one as well. Had I come across someone like you mention I would have either a) stopped responding or b) deleted the person. NOT because I'm negative, but because I'm just a different person than him/her and I chose to no longer spend any of my energy/brain on someone that different. "Good Luck" I'd say :)

I believe in putting out positive energy because that's how you get it back. Doesn't always work, because there is so much negativity out there, but I CAN control what I do!

I am controlling my response to all the people who were so blatantly negative to you in this thread because they're SO NOT WORTH IT, but thanks for proving my point people ;););)

Your one of the good ones KarmasBFF, I can feel your positive energy and need to help others :) Keep up all of the great work you're doing!

Awww, Mom, thanks!!!! That means a lot to me...a lot more than anyone probably realizes! :))))))

Ok, now, Im not just feeling better, I'm feeling great!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses yet so forgive me if this has been said - but the auto response with the under calorie thing is actually so you can support people who aren't eating enough, the people that aren't meeting their calorie goal (or at least that's how I read it in Mikes blog about the new features) it'll never say when you've gone over or when you hit the calories dead on - just if you're under so that your 'friends' can encourage you to eat all that you're supposed to.

My beef with the diaries is when people only have 10lbs total to lose & then complain that they'll never hit their goal weight & when you check out their diary you see that they stop every morning for fast food, snack all day long on candy & crap & then skip dinner....these are also usually the ones that want to lose that 10lbs in the next 2 weeks. :ohwell: Lets get real people.

ETA - so apparently I was wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere, maybe Mike posted on a thread about it or something.
  • karmasBFF
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses yet so forgive me if this has been said - but the auto response with the under calorie thing is actually so you can support people who aren't eating enough, the people that aren't meeting their calorie goal (or at least that's how I read it in Mikes blog about the new features) it'll never say when you've gone over or when you hit the calories dead on - just if you're under so that your 'friends' can encourage you to eat all that you're supposed to.

My beef with the diaries is when people only have 10lbs total to lose & then complain that they'll never hit their goal weight & when you check out their diary you see that they stop every morning for fast food, snack all day long on candy & crap & then skip dinner....these are also usually the ones that want to lose that 10lbs in the next 2 weeks. :ohwell: Lets get real people.

ETA - so apparently I was wrong, but I swear I read that somewhere, maybe Mike posted on a thread about it or something.

WOW, that is sooo interesting! That is an angle I never thought of! Hmmm, that's got me thinking now!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    it'll never say when you've gone over or when you hit the calories dead on - just if you're under so that your 'friends' can encourage you to eat all that you're supposed to.

Oooooooooh. I need the "doh" smiley.
This discussion has been closed.