What age to let a child stay at home alone?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    by the time I was 14, I was babysitting a 2 year old and an 11 year old from 7 am to 9 pm M-F all summer. FOR $20/DAY

...slave labor now that I look back at it.... that 11 year old was a demon.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Depends on the maturity level of the child, the state laws, how long the parents will be gone, and *where* the parents will be.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. My daughter just turned 9, and there's no way I'm leaving her home alone. Even though she's very responsible and I have a safe neighborhood...my gut tells me she is too young.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    LOL if yall knew most of the things still technically considered illegal in some states, you wouldnt put so much stock in what the government has to say about the matter.

The truth is, it is a kid by kid, family by family basis.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Some adults shouldn't be left home alone.

^This!
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    In the state of Oregon it is legal to leave your child at home alone at age 10. My son is 9 and I have not even begun to think about it. I consider him a pretty responsible kid. He could do it but I am not comfortable. We will see when he turns 10 if I feel different.

I do agree alot with what others say, its a child by child and parent by parent decision. I think in this situation that you listed, the parent had to make a hard decision and made the best one for what is happening in their family.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    LOL if yall knew most of the things still technically considered illegal in some states, you wouldnt put so much stock in what the government has to say about the matter.

The truth is, it is a kid by kid, family by family basis.
    Oh of course! But it's never fun when CPS comes knocking on your door either when some snoopy neighbour next door spots your unattended kid who's below the legal age to be unattended, either. Especially with a subject as sensitive as child-care it's probably a pretty good idea to go by the book as best you can.