Mom's don't look like that!!!

Options

Replies

• Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks...but I doubt that is what people stare a when I am on the beach!:laugh:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I have no hope then...I am a Grandma

Look up Ernestine Shephard :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Did I still earn my "stripes" if I have stretch marks, but no kids? ;)

Seriously though...

Sure. Why not?

The reason this is about moms (for me) is that a lot of moms get really bad stretch marks from their pregnancy. Pregnancy is a profound experience. That's not to say that someone isn't a "real woman" if they haven't done it, nor that if your stretch marks are from something else that they are immediately ugly. But i dont' see anything wrong with being positive to moms who have had their bodies change extremely in the extreme experience that is pregnancy....

Seriously. I don't think this is an either/or situation.

i'm really very all inclusive and just hate people hating on women's bodies period.

But i posted this here because i was shocked how many mama's really said they could never have that flat of a tummy...but here on MFP I see mamas rockin' six packs. This place is full of amazing women and men who totally rock the fitness and i love it.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    EXCEPT this photo has been proved to be fake, it's a regular fit woman (NOT mother) that someone put stretch marks on digitally. Gives me false hope really! NEVER seen a good before/after for a mum who had stretch marks and got fat that EVER got thin. Sure mums that never got stretch marks, mums that never got fat, but yeah. Poop photo. lol
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Anyway, yeah realistic expectations are definitely in order. I know Moms who look extraordinary --yes definitely. But I also don't think it is reasonable to expect someone who just passed a new human through their body to immediately get back into shape (without a nanny and a team of trainers, cooks, etc). I think we have unreasonable expectations for women. Yes you might be abke to do it eventually with a lot of effort, but I think we need to have more compassion towards the incredible stress pregnancy and childbirth has on the female body. I am looking at this from a child free perspective so I haven't been there myself for whatever that might be worth..
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The MFP moms are badass!

I had a 9lb little man 9 weeks ago, and I'm already flat with definition. Plus I have bigger boobs now so take that!

Having a baby only made me hotter :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    EXCEPT this photo has been proved to be fake, it's a regular fit woman (NOT mother) that someone put stretch marks on digitally. Gives me false hope really! NEVER seen a good before/after for a mum who had stretch marks and got fat that EVER got thin. Sure mums that never got stretch marks, mums that never got fat, but yeah. Poop photo. lol

Check out this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/760154-success-stories-moms-edition

Lots of great examples of non-photoshopped moms in there!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    People can be, and are, beautiful no matter what "flaws" they have. Fat, acne, stretch marks. So what. It isn't really helpful to say "look at those stretch marks! Giiirl you earned those, like a tiger" because it shouldn't matter. They're just stretch marks. You don't need to make up justifications for people to feel better about a body part. I have bad stretch marks on my thighs from a growth spurt when I was 11-12, I don't look at them and go "yeah go me! these make me beautiful". I just learned to stop caring about them because they don't interfere with my beauty as a person either way.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    females are the most hateful alienating groups ever. And there is a very specific demographic at the heart of it - and sadly, it's moms that hate the most. Which really is totally unfair to other women. Yall have a husband who loves you, healthy children crawling all over you - and they just sit in front of the internet judging people.

I cant understand why they are not the ultimate happy ladies on earth... i mean - they won, right? According to them they did it right.

breaks my heart every day seeing this pattern continue :(

Amen, sister. Women are WAAAYYY worse to each other than men are to them when it comes to judgements. It's awful.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Here is a not fake, not photoshopped pic of a mom's belly. My son was ten years old when this pic was taken. No it's not perfect, but just because i had a baby doesn't mean I'm doomed to a life of obesity:

25536715_7740.jpg
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Im one of those Lucky ones that did not get stretch marks. Cocoa butter ladies.

It's genetics. I don't have any either.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    females are the most hateful alienating groups ever. And there is a very specific demographic at the heart of it - and sadly, it's moms that hate the most. Which really is totally unfair to other women. Yall have a husband who loves you, healthy children crawling all over you - and they just sit in front of the internet judging people.

I cant understand why they are not the ultimate happy ladies on earth... i mean - they won, right? According to them they did it right.

breaks my heart every day seeing this pattern continue :(

Amen, sister. Women are WAAAYYY worse to each other than men are to them when it comes to judgements. It's awful.

internalized misogyny is one of my pet peeves. Why are we talking about women as hateful?? I'm going to bail on my own thread because I have no tolerance for this way of thinking. Women who don't hate women, feel free to add me as a friend. Everyone else can go hog wild on their hatred/fear or whatever it is that compels people to think like this elsewhere. My reality is *nothing* like what is being said here.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Im one of those Lucky ones that did not get stretch marks. Cocoa butter ladies.

It's genetics. I don't have any either.

just a note: i have them from puberty, but got none in pregnancy.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was working on the flat tummy and got pregnant again =P
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    <<<<< two kids, flat belly and stretch marks and rocks a bikini like a bull rider. My best friend... Almost 40 two kids 0 stretch marks and flat belly. Rocks her bikini like a bull rider. We are a force to be seen pool ride. You mad ? Seriously though, there isn't a standard for what a mom is supposed to look like., and I freaking hate that women feel shame of a natural result from the body expanding enough to fit a second human in it.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options

You will see one when I post in success stories one day :)

I'm seeing about 4 pages worth in this thread alone of moms who had babies (some, like me with 9lb'rs) and got flat bellies.
  • pawheeler1
    pawheeler1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I've seen mom's that are in way better shape than 18 year old non moms!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    and why can't we also just say to the moms who have been told ever since they announced their pregnancy that their bodies will be ruined that hey MOMS CAN BE BEAUTIFUL even with the stretch marks. I don't get it. If you want to make a post about how extremely fat women (with no kids) can be beautiful again, please visit the success stories thread.

ps. for hte record, my stretch marks aren't from my pregnancy. But i was never told when i was fat that I couldn't be thin again. But i was told that when I was pregnant.

We can, actually. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was saying we can't, or shouldn't. And even though I've only been here since August, I don't need anyone to tell me which threads I should visit or comment in, thanks.

Also, if you don't want Yoovie's stereotype to live on, do something other than fall face first into it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I do think mothers need to give themselves a little more slack. Don't stress too much about gaining a lot during pregnancy. Give yourself a full year, maybe more, to get back in shape. You don't have to work out 6 days a week to be successful and healthy. 2-3 days of heavy lifting is fine. You don't have to eat 1200 calories a day. TDEE - 20% is great (for me that's 2000 calories). If you miss a gym day because of a sick kid, don't beat yourself up. Being a fit, healthy, hot mom is definitely possible but don't make yourself miserable doing it. Being a happy mom is more important. The other stuff can come when it comes.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks and no kids :-/ Do I get anything for that? lol