SHOES OR NO SHOES??

Options
124»

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    I wear shoes is to convince myself to go exercise. I spent all that time changing into shoes. I might as well use them, instead of heading back to the couch!

Same here. Shoes make me feel more motivated, as sad as that is. I like to wear shoes. When I take them off, I'm ready to curl up on the couch. So it's shoes for me!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a cage... I don't like being in a cage, why would my feet feel different? :/

In all fairness though, there is actually benefits going barefoot as opposed to not...
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i worked out without shoes before... and it hurt my ankles and knees. now i never workout without shoes. but i guess it depends.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a cage... I don't like being in a cage, why would my feet feel different? :/

In all fairness though, there is actually benefits going barefoot as opposed to not...

But there are also benefits to wearing shoes as opposed to not.
  • kaysue1
    Options
    Shoes should be worn even if your in your home, you can do some serious damage without them. You don't go to the gym without putting on shoes so why would you think that just because you are in your home that you don't need them?

This maybe true, but the gym is a public place, so you would wear shoes for that aspect.

I wear shoes on my machines (treadmill, bike, cardiofit) but when I am doing my none machine exercises I prefer barefoot.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Depends on the surface/activity.

Shoes for elliptical (someone mentioned the little bumps on the footpads--OUCH!) or anything outside. Probably for anything high-impact, whether indoors or out.

If doing low-impact, stretching, squats etc on carpet or a mat I don't wear shoes or socks. I'm planning to start lifting weights though, and will prob wear shoes just for the increased ankle and arch support.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

And those benefits would be...? Aside from the obvious benefits of stepping on broken glass, rusty nails and subjecting your joints to substantially more force than necessary?
  • veggiegirlie2
    veggiegirlie2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My personal preference are shoes. Traction and the fact that I am 4 11 my pants are usually a little long lol :smile:
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I always lift with no shoes
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't like shoes to begin with, some say you wear them to keep your position straight, bare feet make you slip, but I like bare feet more. depends on you I guess
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I workout at home barefoot. The only time I wear shoes is on the treadmill.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and I never wear shoes when I workout at home. I have carpet and hardwood and I find shoes impossible on the carpet and just too noisy on the hardwood (live in an apartment). Of course at the gym I wear shoes because its dirty. But I like working out barefoot better. Instead of giving more support, shoes can feel like weights which I guess is good in the long run, but it makes me get tired sooner.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of exercise and the person. I like to wear shoes when I do most exercises because I have flat feet and need arch supports. My arch supports help with my balance and stability. It is much easier for me to hurt myself when I don't because my feet roll inward when I am barefoot.

If none of this affects you, bare feet is not a problem. If you are worried do some research about it...

Ok... so what I get out of this is that you would be a cripple and unable to walk without serious injury if shoes never existed?

I never knew anyone prior to 1950's etc couldn't walk without them non existent supports and cushioning in shoes..

Also supports and cushioning actually make me sick when I see people run with them... Fine, if you've run a lot and I mean a serious lot before using supports etc then ok you MIGHT be ok... but otherwise just no... People land stupid and HEAVY on their joints with cushioned shoes... It is one of the reasons many do not finish marathons... Their running stride is absolutely shot and just disgusting because of bad form... Same with the back runners!
    Shoes should be worn even if your in your home, you can do some serious damage without them. You don't go to the gym without putting on shoes so why would you think that just because you are in your home that you don't need them?

Sure, everyone was a limp and cripple in the early 19th century...

---

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2012/08000/Primitive_Running___A_Survey_Analysis_of_Runners_.2.aspx

http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu

At least read some stuff instead of mumbling something about it being dangerous for god sakes... Shoes were never around before like they are now in last 50 years or so... Covering your feet with leather to protect from elements etc is NOT a typical shoe you would find now is it? No cushion, nothing, just protection and that is that...
    And those benefits would be...? Aside from the obvious benefits of stepping on broken glass, rusty nails and subjecting your joints to substantially more force than necessary?

And you are the primary target of who SHOULD read on running... my god... do you do no research into any areas you do in life for training, sport etc? The amount of force caused by landing on the heel is several times more force than you will get by landing barefoot correctly (Which incidentally, you will have to do or else will find uncomfortable anyway...)

You take the ligaments, the joints, the flex in your ankle and foot away completely... Try see how you run next time! You might actually be doing yourself more harm to your joints than you think...
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    Remember what Dane Cook said about shoes?
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Millions of years ago, THEY DIDN'T WEAR SHOES!! So get your shoes off as much as possible :)

They also didn't use the Internet. So maybe stop doing that, too.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a shoe store and this really went against the fact that I sold shoes. Humans were not created to wear shoes. Millions of years ago, THEY DIDN'T WEAR SHOES!! So get your shoes off as much as possible :)

Anatomically Modern Hominids (i.e. homo sapiens) have only existed for 100,000 years.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    There is a theory that the human foot is basically destroyed through the atrophy of growing up wearing shoes, and that going barefoot allows the foot to be used in its proper way while running. The theory is put forth in a simple way in Christopher McDougall's book "Born to Run". To be honest, I have no idea whether the arguments in the book are accurate. I will say that because I grew up in Florida regularly running around barefoot (going from ski boat to beach to swimming, etc.), I thought I'd give it a try. I've worn a suit to work for years but I hate shoes. Just me I guess.

I'd say some serious double blind studies should be done to compare barefoot runners vs. those who run with shoes to compare injury rates. I have read some that do compare forefront strikers and heel strikers but I don't think they were conclusive (going on memory) and it seems the better work would be directly on barefoot running. I'm sorry if I've missed some.

What I can say is that I switched to going barefoot and wearing barefoot style shoes several years ago and it works for me. I, like anyone else who has found something that works for them, do suggest it to friends who ask. Its quite a commitment though because the muscles in your foot and calves need to be allowed to develop and you do need to give your feet time to develop calluses. Trust me the first time you go running barefoot or in barefoot style shoes, your calves are going to kill you! There was a time when I got shin splints regularly and I no longer get them. That and I love being able to run without getting blisters. I'm also fortunate enough that I'm able to run on the beach. I don't think I'd be gutsy enough to run around the average city without shoes on. My beach is pretty clean though.

If you don't like it then wear shoes.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

And you are the primary target of who SHOULD read on running... my god... do you do no research into any areas you do in life for training, sport etc? The amount of force caused by landing on the heel is several times more force than you will get by landing barefoot correctly (Which incidentally, you will have to do or else will find uncomfortable anyway...)

You take the ligaments, the joints, the flex in your ankle and foot away completely... Try see how you run next time! You might actually be doing yourself more harm to your joints than you think...

The sky isn't falling so calm down. I do plenty of research and reading and have failed to find anything that compells me to believe that barefoot running will save the world (or is even necessary). And I don't heel strike-never have (interesting that you assume I do no research or reading but then assume I have the evil heel strike).. So guess I'll just keep going, enjoying my running just as I have been. To each his own-if barefoot works for you-have at it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

The sky isn't falling so calm down.

LOL