Noob season at the gym already?

Options
I've been going to the gym regularly since September 2011. It's the second December while I've been going to the gym.
I remember the crowds in January through about the middle of February, but this year, It's already packed a week before Xmas.

Has anyone noticed? What's going on?

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a gym pretty regularly for the last 8 or 9 years, and I've always noticed a spike right after Thanksgiving....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing it.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love how they stand around looking for direction. I'm like there's a treadmill turn it on! Lol
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Holidays, New Years resolutions, it tends to thin about by February though as people loose motivation.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thread made me lol, I was talking about this today with my instructor. At least there trying, some may even stick it out.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I used to work at a gym and this happens. People want to try to look better before they see their families and sometimes women have new years eve plans. It's not usually new members, just the ones who have had a membership collecting dust for a while.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    People either want to start before the New year or after for New start..I notice more people after Thanksgiving too. But, we were all new at one point, And it is a great thing to join and get healthy! It is an even better thing To maintain and keep it up;-)
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have noticed mine a little more crowded too.. but I go at night so I am assuming the cold and dark on moving people indoors. Plus we have a basketball court that has been getting pretty crowded.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've noticed too, and I am sure MFP will get an influx of newbies as well. To me this is a good thing! Will everyone stick with it, no, but we all have to start somewhere.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    We said the same thing at our gym last night. It's nice to see new faces there!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Thread made me lol, I was talking about this today with my instructor. At least there trying, some may even stick it out.

This. At least they are there. You were a noob at one time too. Instead of staring at them, help them out. Encourage them to keep coming back.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ive been working out at home, but my new gym membership I got for Christmas (early gift) won't kick in until January. I'm not looking forward to getting the 3rd degree look from gym regulars, but I know its coming... You know, that "oh nice to see you, you wont last a month". Joke's on them though. :)
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've noticed too, and it does hinder a little bit, but A for effort for them starting. Hopefully many of them will stick it out.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Last year I decided that I wasn't going to be one of those people who would start working out on Jan. 1st then stop after a few weeks, so I started working out on Christmas Eve instead. I haven't stopped yet. :)
    Maybe some of your noobs are doing just that? Or perhaps they paid for a membership last Jan and want to get back into it since it's colder, or they gained weight over Thanksgiving? Who knows? At least they want to be healthier! Encourage them! :)
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

^ This

This. At least they are there. You were a noob at one time too. Instead of staring at them, help them out. Encourage them to keep coming back.

And this too ^ ... everyone starts somewhere :-)
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE when the ladies at the gym ask me about the free weights and the squat rack. I encourage them to use it and add it to their routines. I guess Im in the minority. I love new peeps at the gym. I love seeing people there making an effort to get healthier. Im disappointed if they dont stick around.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    theres always going to be a noob somewhere. At least in this case they are working towards something of worth. Perhaps welcome them next time you see one? ask them about themselves. Build your gym's sense of community. <3
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing at my Y. The "Resolution" crowd started a month early. :)
  • Seahawk27
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

LOVE this!
This discussion has been closed.