Noob season at the gym already?

Options

Replies

• Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You know what else is awesome? All the threads that start up around this time with the gym vets and rats b!tching up a storm about the n00bs at the gym.

Get over yourselves. Yes, people are new. Yes, many of these people will not make it past February. Maybe many of these people fail at fitness because of the Judgy McJudgersons at the gym. Instead of being a douchecanoe towards the people, help them out.

you're also awesome. i'm still new at my gym and would love for someone to help me out, or even just say hi
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I work at a university and go to their gym. These next few weeks are my favorite time at the gym because most of the students are away for break. But when they come back, the gym will be total chaos for about a month and a half because of the students coming back, plus the New Year's Resolutioners. I try to suck it up and run outside in the mornings during that time.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest - is it just weights rooms and gyms where you get this anti behaviour towards new members?

Maybe I'm not reading the same comments you are. It doesn't seem that people are complaining about the new people; just making an observation.

Think it's more so the fact it is questioning it...like someone wanting to join a gym at any time and try to change is soooo crazy thoughts!
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I am not really a noob, but I just started going to the gym again because of the cold rainy weather we are having. I was jogging outside up until last week. I have had my membership for a while, but notice that I go more to the gym from December to February and exercise more at home and outside at other times of the year.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I love how they stand around looking for direction. I'm like there's a treadmill turn it on! Lol

lol I know right? I usually spend all day long looking at them and totally forget to workout! Then I come over here and share what noobs I saw at my gym.

on a different note: I have no idea why I'm not losing weight. I mean I go to the gym almost everyday. I don't really get to workout though because I'm looking at these noobs all day and silently mocking them
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

Add me to the list of people that think this in an AWESOME comment !
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Think it's more so the fact it is questioning it...like someone wanting to join a gym at any time and try to change is soooo crazy thoughts!

I see. I didn't read it like that.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    People were saying the same thing about you at the end of 2011. No, seriously...........
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

^^^
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I save my ire for the guy who has been going for a while and decides to do curls in the squat rack. Newbies. I've seen one in the last month and we've chatted a bit....he's doing squats and deadlifts so he's not new to exercising.

Some of it maybe long time members who have different schedule for the Holidays and are going at different times. I know next week I'm going at 9am...not 5am.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the OP meant this thread in any mean way but just that it is a sensitive subject for some.

That being said...regulars...be nice to your noobs. Noobs...learn to not be afraid to approach new people. Win/Win.
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I LOVE when the ladies at the gym ask me about the free weights and the squat rack. I encourage them to use it and add it to their routines. I guess Im in the minority. I love new peeps at the gym. I love seeing people there making an effort to get healthier. Im disappointed if they dont stick around.

^^^ this. i wish more people were like this. I admit that i have felt very intimidated. I'm trying get a feel for this and learn as i go along. it would be nice if more people were helpful instead of giving you dirty looks all the time.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    For the last week or so, I've let 'em have the gym to themselves. Not on purpose - work just exploded on me and I haven't been getting in like I'd want to. They have the rest of this week and then they're gonna have to step aside. I welcome new-comers who are there to get a workout, but not the gawkers & lost lambs.

I like your ultimatum. But what if they don't step aside. Looks like you'll have to wait. Nice that you "let" them use "your" gym though. That's pretty magnanimous of you. At least you're giving them the rest of the week, though. You're a champ.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hey, I started going to the gym pretty well every single day since January 2nd. On the first, I went to a Patriots game and the climb up to the 400s almost killed me. That was it, I was getting in shape. It was my resolution anyway but having the stadium kick my *kitten* made damn sure I was going to not be one of those people who go for 3 weeks and give up.

Since January 2nd, if I haven't been to the gym it's because I'm running OUTSIDE or using my Kinect fitness game because I don't want to leave the house in the cold/rain/whatever.

Today is free cupcake day at PF. I'll make sure I go LATE LATE LATE so I don't trip over people just there for the free cupcakes. It's why I go LATE LATE LATE on the first monday of the month (Free Pizza) or go running instead of to the gym.

Sadly it's winter and I'm in NH so running outside isn't going to be fun.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    saw a dad bring in his two boys, one was probably 9 the other maybe 12. they were already curling more than some noobs i've seen! no noobs spotted this year yet though
  • Montegue42
    Options
    I have noticed mine a little more crowded too.. but I go at night so I am assuming the cold and dark on moving people indoors. Plus we have a basketball court that has been getting pretty crowded.

^ This is why I joined a gym. I normally would run outside, but with my work schedule as it is now and living in Wisconsin, I had to join. I sat around for a little bit like...how do I work these machines??

...But it also took me about a month to figure out how to do phone calls on my Android phone too. Me and buttons.....
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You have been going to the gym for a little over 52 weeks and now it's time to pat yourself on the back... Every year, you get these same posts from people who think they are doing something special. You act like this is something hard. It's just going to the gym. You know that facility that is open to all paid members? You're not special at all.

I can't stand gym elitist.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have been a gym member for many years. But since relocating 2 1/2 years ago, I haven't been. I have been contemplating re-joining one around here (and starting up NROLFW). And of course, it would take me a few visits to get situated/comfortable with the new gym & fall back into my routine.. especially a NEW routine if I'm going to start NROLFW.
    But based on this post, especially the "don't know how to turn on a treadmill" comment, maybe I'll wait til after "noob season.. geesh :huh:
  • dawnschrecengost66
    Options
    [/quote
  • one15ts
    Options

totally love this.
This discussion has been closed.