Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    23764227.jpg
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

:drinker: Here! Here!!! ^^^THIS!!
  • AJWriter
    Options
    Our local gym has been filling up with noobs since around September time. I think it's time our gym extended because sometimes you just give up trying to get on a machine and go home early.

Oh and I agree with the comment above about talking to the noobs and making them welcome too. I just want a bigger gym with more equipment.
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    well said help the new people out!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

This was... well... beautiful.

I'm one of the noobs. I was working out at home, but I don't have the equipment to safely do everything I want to do. Thus, I joined my gym right after Thanksgiving. I might have stuck it out at home longer, but they had a deal where they waved the sign-up fee. So it made sense for the wife and I to join at that particular time. Perhaps other gyms had the same deal at around the same time?

ETA: I wandered around aimlessly one day, too. Of course, that was because it was an afternoon where both the squat and power racks were occupied by groups using them, and every bench was in use. That's why I like going in the AM, because it's not crowded and I can get in, do what I need to do, and get out before work.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    To the OP and everybody whining about these "noobs" - you were all noobs once. Instead of critisizing them, why not say hi, or offer some help to support them instead? :huh:
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options

this^^^^ op.......you were a nobb at one time too
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hate hearing this. EVERYONE has been a noobie at one point. I just started at a new gym last week and was afraid of the "look at that noobie getting a head start for new years." When in actuality, it has nothing to do with the time of year, I have been changing my life for the better for the past 6 months. I started with eating healthy, and now I am incorporating working out into my routine. But because of the time of year, I get placed in a category.

I like what a previous poster said, why not introduce yourself to the new members, why not treat them like regular human beings who are trying to better themselves? Get over the whole "I'm better than you because I've been here longer" mentality. It's not attractive on anyone.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

the noobs with their headphones on doing 300 reps on the ab machine? or the noobs doing half squats with the wrong form and super low or super high weight??

or maybe i get to talk to some noob that has some attitude about the regular gym goers so they throw back any advice i give them back to their face? yeah, that'll be great.

or some chick that thinks i'm trying to hit on her, when i'll i'm trying to do is prevent her from injurying herself?

or some guy that thinks i'm trying to show off or trying to belittle him because i'm giving him advice or telling him to go with a lower weight??

i'll stick to completing my work outs in peace, thank you very much.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    *PSSST*

Guess what? You all were NOOB's to the gym once too!! And you all probably stood around scratching your heads wondering what to do and where to start. Give these people some credit for going to the gym. Yes most of them will probably stop going after a few months but I'm sure there will be those who will continue on.

Cut them some slack. Yes, it's annoying when it's so crowded there and you have to wait for equipment but jeeze. That was YOU once.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    they are taking all my parking spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    *PSSST*

Guess what? You all were NOOB's to the gym once too!! And you all probably stood around scratching your heads wondering what to do and where to start. Give these people some credit for going to the gym. Yes most of them will probably stop going after a few months but I'm sure there will be those who will continue on.

Cut them some slack. Yes, it's annoying when it's so crowded there and you have to wait for equipment but jeeze. That was YOU once.

Actually I never was a Noob at the gym. I was born into fitness. My Dad is going to be a personal trainer in his retirement job starting next month!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It's probably because of all this holiday deals there having for memberships.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have actually noticed a little thinning out - like my class today was half. Their is a lot of enthusiasm with new people - so it adds to the atmosphere!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Thank you, exactly what I was thinking. I want to start lifting weights but it's people who say shi* like this that makes me not want to pay for a membership. I'll get there, have no clue how to start and instead of someone giving me a tip or offering to show me some exercises they say smart a** remarks like "there's a treadmill turn it on"...If I wanted to run, I'd be outside, chode
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    it's wabbit season
  • Onesnap
    Options

come March they will all puss out
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Like this ^^
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I certainly hope I can be part of the solution. You have a great attitude. Thank you stating this so well.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

come March they will all puss out

Its the circle of life. It happens every year.
This discussion has been closed.