Rude comment from a coworker

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Dude. First of all- you look effing awesome. *High five.

Take it with a grain of salt- people always put others down when they see them bettering their lives. I get comments like that regularly- from my FRIENDS- the people that I always hang out with every weekend. It used to really get to me, but now I just let it roll off. If they're jealous, they know how to lose weight- no one's stopping them. I always invite them to workout with me, but I always get a "no". So I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Be proud of what you've accomplished. You've earned it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You're damned if you're skinny and you're damned if you're fat. That's just the way it goes.

People suck and there's nothing you can do about it but say *kitten* 'em and feel good about yourself no matter what anyone thinks.

Damn right!
    This one guy was always making rude remarks to me about my weight. Example: who would flirt with you? after our daughter told him how guys were trying to flirt with me at the gym right in front of her. He made remarks about my weight etc. Then one day I shot back with "what are you 12?" He never said a rude remark to me like that again. He made a rude remark about me to my husband who then said Oh grow up! That was the end of his childish texts to my husband or any remarks in person.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company.

Isn't that the truth!
  • 4jamaica
    4jamaica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Having a canned response comes in handy. My MIL is fond of saying "That is un-accept-able." It can be applied in nearly situation. and has an instantaneous shaming effect. For example, in my first real job, I was told by a competitor, in front of my very first client, "How the *kitten* would you know? You don't have any experience in this!" After a second of stunned silence, I said "That was completely unacceptable." My client then gave him an earful and an hour later, I got an apology from the competitor.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Tell them if I wanted to look like you, I would eat like you.
  • andreamarieroberts
    Options
    LIKE OMFG PEOPLE.....why are you SOOOO interested in my life? Get the hell over it. I don't comment on your f**king pizza for lunch or your saddle bags in your work pants OR your LACK of working out!!!!!

RIGHT ON! No matter what I lose or gain, do or not do, eat or not eat, someone has SOMETHING to say about it. STFUSTFUSTFU!!!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just proves the point that no matter what you look like, someone is going to be an *kitten* to you.

Such is life.

Just don't pay them any mind and go on with your life.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's sad that no matter what you do in life there are always going to be people out there who are just plain miserable and can't but make fun of or put down others. You look amazing, and it looks like you busted your butt to get to where you are. Be proud of your accomplishment and try not to let those comments get you down. Anyone who makes fun of a size 2 is just JEALOUS. There's no other reason for it. She's just mad she didn't have the willpower to pass up the cookies too!!!!!! lol Good for you on your success. You're gorgeous, and you look wonderful in a size 2!!!!
  • JennieCakes72
    JennieCakes72 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's hard to respond in those situations, but a simple "That was rude and uncalled for." usually shuts them up and places the shame they wanted you to wear squarely on their shoulders.

Why is something so delightfully apt like this so hard to come up with when surprised? (snip)

I have great luck with basically just agreeing with the statement without rancor. The "of course not miss size 2..." comment would get a friendly, "Of course not." back from me. The big butt comment would get "Yes, I do" back from me.

The trick is to smile while you say it, keep the sarcasm out of your own voice and let it hang in the air a bit.

Wow! That's a lot of vegetables! - Yes it is...

You always eat so healthy! - Yes, I do...

That is exactly what I do and it works every time! :)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I just read a thread about someone being made fun of for being large. That sucks. I've been at that end too. I teach middle school and when I was 100 pounds heavier a student asked me, "How's the diet soda workin' for you?" as I walked by him in the hallway carrying a can of diet pepsi. I went into my classroom and started crying.

Yesterday I had someone say something rude because I made a choice to become a healthier person. In a staff meeting someone brought holiday cookies and they got passed around. I took the plate and passed it to the next person. She said, "Of course not size 2." That hurt just as much as the "fat" comment if not more because A. I used to be her size (a women's 20) B. She is an adult and not an immature 13 year old, and C. I worked damn hard for 3 years to get this way. I can't post pictures from work, but I have pictures in my profile. The one of me in the pink shirt with my kids is me at 232.4 pounds. I am currently 128.8 pounds.

Just a rant. But damn....really?!

I'm sorry, but if I looked half as hot and fabulous as you, things other people say would be like water off a duck's back. They are JEALOUS as hell, so suck it up, cupcake...'cause there will always be those jealous people in your life. You know you worked hard, you like the person you see in the mirror every day, so who gives a flying fig what anyone else has to say? You did it...now, own it!! :wink:
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    she's jealousssssssss
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    "of course not size 2!"

reply: "yes ma'am. That's how it works."
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    That happens to me all the time. I will politely refuse food from co-workers and they will make a comment that I can "afford" to eat bad every now and then since I lost so much weight. Which that part doesn't bother me. The part that does it that they are so loud about it and everyone stops and stairs like I am trying to bring attention to the fact I have lost a "whole person." Also, the funny thing it is, when I was fat I still didn't eat from the food that was brought up to work because I was one of those fat people that didn't want to eat in front of anyone! (plus a lot of my co-workers I wouldn't want to eat anything they prepared anyway) Now, I just get to the point where I politely smile and say nothing in return. Eventually the novelty of me being smaller will wear off and the comments will stop.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just remember the fact that you don't up and call people out and poke fun at people's problems out of nowhere because of your own insecurities. Then procede to offending them in any way that you can and tell them to stfu. They started it ;-D
  • coolonedee
    coolonedee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I smell a jealous one in your work bunch....lot's of balls to say rude stuff out loud...it only made her look fatter...teehee. Keep up your healthy thoughts, they are only words that you can not control...you can control how you react to them. Great pics in your profile...you kick some serious axx to get where you are...good...err GREAT Job!!
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Remember Kate Moss's Motto? 'Nothing Tastes As Good As Skinny Feels'
  • grammysboy
    grammysboy Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Some folks want to level the playing field by bring the achievers down. The world is a better place if we cheer them on and try to follow in their footsteps.

I like this
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, I got offended when someone said they were going to buy me a cheeseburger so I don't blow away...really? wtf!
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    when i lost 70 lbs 6 yrs ago I reported 2 girls to my HR dept for harassment because their compliments turned into an everyday comment about how i was starting to look anorexic..I was far from looking anorexic. I just didnt look like Violet Beauregarde after chewing the 3 course meal gum at the chocolate factory any more..lol