no weighloss in 6 weeks. please advise

Options
I have not lost weight or inches since Halloween.

I added countable gym time this week.

My job is in maintenance, specifically wastewater treatment. Very active job, lots of walking involved.

I am 37, female. Weight is 175. Height 5'6 3/4". Waist 32, hips 42.

Upped my calories nearly a month ago in accordance with the roadmap thing. No weightloss.
Diary open. Advise. Also. Had one bad day foodwise about a week ago. That was the day I nearly gave up.

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    bump hope you find an answer :)
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • jsdholland
    jsdholland Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    maybe try going back down to what you were doing before you upped your intake? Perhaps you put yourself into maintainence mode...not everyone reacts the exact same way.
  • Danilynn1975
    Options
    1440 is maintenance level? Really?!!!!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    So many recent days with calories under 1000...

It takes time for the body to get used to the newer intake. But I'd imagine you'd be seeing something going on in the 6 weeks.

How do you have MFP set up? Weight loss goal per week, what did you enter as your activity level when calculating your TDEE? Do you exercise (and if so, have you been logging it, I don't see anything except 1 calorie from exercising here and there).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i eat about 1400-1500 and i would not lose weight if i wasn't adding 2+ hours cardio each day , and even with all that cardio i'm only losing 1 to 2 pounds a week. I think 1440 without cardio would be maintenence for me.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

My job is in maintenance, specifically wastewater treatment. Very active job, lots of walking involved.

Upped my calories nearly a month ago in accordance with the roadmap thing. No weightloss.
    Diary open. Advise. Also. Had one bad day foodwise about a week ago. That was the day I nearly gave up.

I see your calories are set at 1400 per day. I plugged yoru info into fat2fitradio.com BMR calculator and this is what I got:

Harris-Benedict Formula

There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1557 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level

Daily Calories

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

My guess is you are in between lightly and moderately active so I would say 2300 calories a day to maintain your current weight. Your estmated BMR is mid-1500's, which means you are not eating enough to maintain healthy organ function - the reason you are not losing weight.

So, if you maintencance caloreis are 2300, you would deduct 20% or so to get your deficit = 1840 calories per day for nearly a pound a week of loss. You could drop another 100 to 1740 per day for a pound every week. If you use this method, do not eat back exercise calories as they are already factored in. I tried this for 30 days with no sclae and got off a 4 month plateau and lost 2 pounds in 30 days (I am really close to my goal).

You should try to up your calories again, in my opinion. You can do this!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Continuing off of what Jzammetti was saying - you need to eat more.

And if you want to figure out for yourself the way Jzammetti did - check out this link by MFPer Heliotsdan - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It'll give you a detailed walkthrough (with pictures even) on finding your TDEE and calculating what you should be eating.

Also, if you are worried about the calorie intake, I also suggest you read this thread that has numerous people who met their goals and are maintaining. Some for years and they also provide their calorie intake and how often they work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/816542-let-s-hear-it-for-maintainenance
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You are still eating too little. When I was eating too low too long my weight-loss stopped until I upped my calories past my BMR 1,300 did not do it and I eat my exercise calories including for extra walking. Also I upped my protein to around 100g the default amount on here is way low. Do you track fiber and water these are important too.
  • Danilynn1975
    Options
    My pedometer logs me at 4 to 5 miles daily walking only on the job.

My goal is set at 1.5 pound a week. I put in light active.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I also went like 6 weeks without losing any weight. It was frustrating, but I was thinking about it and I was stressed. The first thing is don't give up! This is a lifestyle change and it's not worth it to give up. I'm 5'2 - 180 - and 24 years old. When I eat 1100-1200 cals a day I have been losing weight, I recently increased my cals from about 1000, which some people may get all psycho over, and that is on them, but I know what works for me. If I eat over 1400 cals a day I will maintain my weight. You are a little taller though so your body may be different. I had to mix things up, Do 3 days of 1100 or so and then do one day of 1300 and then go back to 3 days of 1100...sometimes your body wants a little bit of fat. Make sure you are drinking enough water. I am up to trying to get about 6 bottles a day at 20 oz bottles...and that also seemed to kick the weight loss in. After changing up water in take and going back and forth in cals I have lost almost 4 lbs in the last two weeks. Good Luck in everything and I hope you can get over your plateau as well
  • Danilynn1975
    Options
    My pedometer logs me at 4 to 5 miles daily walking only on the job.

My goal is set at 1.5 pound a week. I put in light active.

I really do not want to gain any back. It took from July to lose the 34/35 I have lost. I added in gym this week. Can barely move I am so sore. I get exercise isn't an overnight cure, if I am not losing on 1440. Why would I lose on more calories. That doesn't make sense. Per roadmap I logged my exercise at 1 cal.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eating what the site tells me to works for me. I've recently adjusted my goal down to 1.5lbs a week to make it easier to stick to since I would otherwise be eating 400 cals less a day than what I was on when I started here in March and I found I was having to chop too much out.

I would try going back to basics and trying what the site would give you, making sure you eat back your exercise, and see where that leaves you.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I work a very active job too and my trainer told me that 1700 calories is the absolute minimum I should be eating to lose weight. Anything less would put my body in "starvation mode" and I wouldnt lose any weight. So up the calories is also my answer too. Any change up your workout too. Making some changes and upping the calories might be just what you need to bust through this platue.

Good for you getting into the gym. It hurts now but just imagine what your body will look like once you reach your goal weight! That is what is keeping me motivated. Keep going...trust me it gets better.
  • Danilynn1975
    Options
    1 gallon minimum a day. Fiber and protein high.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am 5ft 6in and weight is 173lbs. I do 30 DS for 20 mins a day (260 cals) and otherwise do nothing but normal daily activities. You say you are following the Road Map which I am also doing. Are you sure you have the right figures? My BMR is around 1400 and my TDEE is 2010. My calorie goal is suggested as 1600 and I am losing a steady 1lb per week. (had previously eaten 1200 for a while and stalled).

Did you use the spreadsheet set up by Heybales? The link is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Just to clarify using this idea. You eat at your TDEE rate - a deficit of up to 20%, but should ensure that you stay above your BMR.

I would try the spreadsheet above or even go through Dan's Road Map again just to make sure that you are using the correct numbers.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Have you had an annual physical or blood work drawn recently?

For some people calcium levels are an issue - a talk with your physician might be in order to see if there is any one think causing it.
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How about decreasing your calories. Sometimes you have to find your own system that works for you. Trying cutting back on carbs. Do a two week South Beach or Atkins induction or stay between 50-100 grams carbs a day, under 20grams will get you ketosis and you can lose up 15lbs in 2 weeks, but u will have to watch your consumption of carbs after. Try juicing, shake it up a bit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Something isn't adding up with your calculations with the roadmap. Either you under estimated or were off because if you are very active, because without exercise, I have you no less than 1800 calories. I would say you need to eat more.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Hmm...

Are you counting your cooking oils too? (I apologize if I didn't notice that part).

I suggest eating entirely different things to shock your body. You and I eat around the same calories but our diets are different.

One of my favorite breakfasts is 1 whole egg plus 3 egg whites with salsa and 1 piece of wheat toast.

There could be a slight possibility perhaps your body is allergic to something you are eating (even if you don't know it). I'm not diabetic but I can't have too much "sugar" or it stops my weight loss. (Same with dairy). I stick to sugar free and fruits... or very low sugar. One of my favorite sweet snacks is Atkins dark chocolate royal protein shake, only 1 gram of sugar (score) and a bunch of protein.

Omit any and all white breads/pasta/rices and swap for wheat and brown rice... I also limit my carb intake. (Boo, I love carbs)

My only other suggestion is after changing your "diet" and introducing new foods... try a different work out routine (speed walking is proven to be most effective for women with weight loss)... if all else fails, hit up the Dr for blood work to make sure there aren't any hormonal changes (Possible pre-menopause... you never know).

I'm sorry babe. Hope you find something that helps you get through this plateau.