no weighloss in 6 weeks. please advise

Options

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    30 pounds to go and aiming for 1.5 pounds a week weight loss is your problem.

You were too ambitious. Now your body is doing everything it can to fight you because you basically went the rape and pillage route. 1.5 pounds a week is a 750 calorie deficit, no wonder you've been eating so little.

Change your goal.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm reminded of a saying we use here in the UK :

'You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink'

OP, I am sorry for your current troubles You are a truly caring person for looking after your MIL at this difficult time.

Good luck for the future :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    My pedometer logs me at 4 to 5 miles daily walking only on the job.

My goal is set at 1.5 pound a week. I put in light active.

I really do not want to gain any back. It took from July to lose the 34/35 I have lost. I added in gym this week. Can barely move I am so sore. I get exercise isn't an overnight cure, if I am not losing on 1440. Why would I lose on more calories. That doesn't make sense. Per roadmap I logged my exercise at 1 cal.

I don't think you calculated your TDEE correctly per the Roadmap. 1440 seems like it might be your BMR, not your TDEE.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, losing weight doesn't seem to be an exact science, but more of a trial and error experiment. MFP's plan worked for me. My longest stall, where the scale didn't fall, was 2-3 weeks, and I just kept going, without making adjustments. My calories were set at 1200 net the entire time I was losing. I did cardio every day and lifted weights 3 times a week. Generally, I had 0-300 net calories left at the end of the day. I've maintained since March without tracking calories, but my maintenance calories are set at 1570. I made a promise to myself to track calories again if my weight exceeds 5 lbs. of my goal weight. I think about what I eat, and I'm still exercising. So far, so good, but I suspect I may have to start logging again after the first of the year. We'll see.

You'll be successful, just continue to experiment and don't give up!
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My pedometer logs me at 4 to 5 miles daily walking only on the job.

My goal is set at 1.5 pound a week. I put in light active.

I think your goal is a little high.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am frustrated and irratated. My mother in law's feelings have been hurt tremendously while I have been in this quest to lose weight. While most won't think much of that. Bear this in mind, she is Dying of cancer. 2 or 3 months left at most. She had a good day and made me an Italian Cream Cake. Took her 4 hours because she is so sick. I turned it down.

I have extremely limited time between work (12 hours start to finish) usually 6 days a week. My day off is spent taking care of my mother in law, visiting my hospitalized daughter. Visitation with her was sacrificed for that damn gym time.

My daughter is long term hospitalized. I have so much in terms of time to work with, and there have been days I have been to tired to eat. Ever started your day at 330 am and ended it routinely at 1100 pm? That's how you get to tired to eat.

Thank you for the advice. But I have no desire to gain ANY of the hard fought lost weight back. I will keep praying, poking, hoping.

Sorry, I missed this part. I didn't realize how much stress you're under. Stress and lack of sleep are big culprits in undermining weight loss. Losing weight doesn't have to be another big stress factor right now. I suggest you give yourself a little break. Try to rest, relax, continue eating healthy foods, move as much as possible during your normal daily activities, and hold off on going to the gym until your life settles down. May God bless you, your daughter, your husband, and your mother-in-law during these trying times.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am frustrated and irratated. My mother in law's feelings have been hurt tremendously while I have been in this quest to lose weight. While most won't think much of that. Bear this in mind, she is Dying of cancer. 2 or 3 months left at most. She had a good day and made me an Italian Cream Cake. Took her 4 hours because she is so sick. I turned it down.

I have extremely limited time between work (12 hours start to finish) usually 6 days a week. My day off is spent taking care of my mother in law, visiting my hospitalized daughter. Visitation with her was sacrificed for that damn gym time.

My daughter is long term hospitalized. I have so much in terms of time to work with, and there have been days I have been to tired to eat. Ever started your day at 330 am and ended it routinely at 1100 pm? That's how you get to tired to eat.

Thank you for the advice. But I have no desire to gain ANY of the hard fought lost weight back. I will keep praying, poking, hoping.

Lot's of people offering up some sound advice to you. I still think you should up your calories. But I also think that at this time in your life you have a lot of other important things on your plate (no pun intended) and you should not stress out over a few pounds. In fact stress and lack of sleep can hinder weight loss. Up your calories to a sensible goal and be honest with logging and trust the system to work. Focus on family....it's more important than a pound or two:flowerforyou:
  • alisharowland
    alisharowland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had a similar problem. I just got stuck, then I read an article about carb cycling, so I thought I would give that a try. The first morning after my no carb day (or very little carb) I had dropped 1.5 pounds! I was so excited. I have continued to do this and so far it is working well. How I'm doing it is I have three days were I eat little to no carbs, then I eat low carbs (adding whole wheat bread or pasta) for one day, then I have a day where I eat as many carbs as I want, but I still try to stay within my caloric intake for the day. I'll have cereal for breakfast, a sandwich at lunch and then pasta for dinner. I continue this pattern. Good luck, maybe this will work as well for you.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Giving your body the proper nutrients it needs will go a lot farther than praying, poking, and hoping. :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Eat the 1800. You will feel better, you need it, and you will lose weight.

Be kind to your MIL. I think you could have handled the cream cake situation a little more sensitively.

Eat more. You are stressed and irritated, which is probably being caused in part by your lack of nutrition. Your body is unable to handle all these stressors you are giving it. The lack of food is a huge stressor.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I would have taken the cake that was rude of you not to and you are complaining about people here trying to help you. The extra calories from the cake would have helped.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

Thanks. appreciate the kick while Down. Oh and Merry Christmas to you.
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

Nobody kicked you while you're down. You've been given a TON of really helpful advice and you are basically "biting the hand that feeds you." YOU asked for the advice and are in my honest opinion are being to stubborn and using your job, mother in laws illness, your daughter and your life in general currently as excuses to NOT even TRY. We're a good group of people but we aren't afraid to dole out tough love when necessary.

Maybe it's time to re-think your priorities.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

Looks like you are still a raving B at 1400/day. I suggest upping it a couple hundred calories so you avoid it at the Christmas celebrations.

Eating more, being happy and relaxing will help. If not, at least that stick up your bum might dislodge itself.

P/S: Dont ask for advice then turn around and be all 'woe is me' when none of it is what you want to hear. People took time to help.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You've worked it out wrong, you need to eat more. Trust the good advice given, you will still lose if you eat a few hundred more calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bless your heart.

Bless your heart.

No one kicked you while you were down. We tried to provide advice to you. Unfortunately, you are not ready to accept our advice. But maybe I, or others, did not deliver it correctly. So here is my last ditch effort to try and help and show you that you can not gain fat (not water weight) at 1800 calories.

Your estimated BMR is 1557. This is the amount of calories you would burn if you slept for 24 hours. You are lightly active and I did not see any exercise which is ok. So that would make your TDEE:

= 1557 * 1.375 = 2140 < average calories burnt a day.

Caloric requirements = 2140 * .8 (20% less than TDEE) = 1712 <-- average calories you should be aiming to eat.

Even if it's 1800, you are still aiming to lose about .85 lbs per week. I know it seems slow but I am being conservative since you walk almost 5 miles a day. Additionally, I suggest macro changes to optimize protein intake and muscle retention. So I suggest 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

And I have helped over 100 lb break plateaus (including myself). How you break plateaus? You set your account to maintain for 1-2 weeks (set macro's to the above) and regulate stress and other diet hormones created by a calorie deficit. Cortisol alone can prevent weight loss.

I hope you have a merry Christmas.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you buy something like a BodyMedia FIt or Fitbit, it will calculate how many calories you are truly burning throughout your day. My guess is, if you are walking 4-5 miles a day you might be underestimating how many calories you burn. It's really hard to know how much to eat when you don't truly know how much you are burning.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Lot's of people offering up some sound advice to you. I still think you should up your calories. But I also think that at this time in your life you have a lot of other important things on your plate (no pun intended) and you should not stress out over a few pounds. In fact stress and lack of sleep can hinder weight loss. Up your calories to a sensible goal and be honest with logging and trust the system to work. Focus on family....it's more important than a pound or two:flowerforyou:

THIS! I know plateaus can be frustrating, but the added stress is not helping your already stressful situation. Please consider the above constructive advice to up your calories. Also, please take a step back and focus on what's REALLY important, time with your family. The remarks regarding the cake your MIL made, I don't think we're made to tear you down, they were made by people not in the middle of your situation and therefore, with some perspective. Your very ill MIL put in a lot of effort to make you a lovely cake, probably as a gesture of gratitude for all the care your have been giving her. To turn it down, even with your dietary goals, might not have been the.most tactful thing to do and I think that is what others were pointing out.

You yourself admitted your time with her is probably not long. You can watch your weight for many years to come, take this Holiday time to worry less about the scale and appreciate the time you have left with her.