no weighloss in 6 weeks. please advise

Options

Replies

• chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have almost your identical stats (a few years younger and a few pounds lighter). I can lose weight eating between 1730 and 2000 calories per day. But I do have to exercise to be able to eat at the higher end of that spectrum (however, I have a desk job).

Something else to consider - change up your exercise routine. Add strength training, even if it's just from a home workout video like Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 or 30 Day Shred.

Also, something else I've seen as a suggestion is to eat some foods that you don't normally eat instead of eating the same thing all the time. I didn't look at your diary but most people do tend to eat the same foods all the time.

Hope that helps!
  • AKbikini
    Options
    Maybe wear a pedometer at work to really see how much you are walking to readjust your calorie intake, and try a completely new exercise that sollicits different muscles (i.e. go jogging or swimming if you've been biking, etc..).
    And look back at how far you've come, instead of falling back into your old habits.
    I had lost 20 lbs last year, have regained 6, but am now on board again to get rid of the last 30! Don't give up! we can do it!
  • FifiLaPhue
    FifiLaPhue Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I gained 4 lbs in one week keeping calories at the MFP recommended 1270 per day. Was completely fed up and discouraged.
    Took a look at the Nutritional COMPOSITION of the low cal foods I was eating.

Found to my surprise that I was eating WAAAYYYY too many carbs.

I cut my Carb intake in half and am now, a week later about 1.4 lbs lighter.

It is possible that with all the exercise and calorie cutting you are still using your check book of easily available fat stores instead of your fixed deposits in order to pay for the energy you use to keep alive and do your daily work.

I suggest you stop throwing more money into the check book and DEPRIVE the body of enough 'ready cash" so that it is FORCED to go into the Fixed Deposit Savings Account for any spending it has to do.!

That is how I explain it to myself WHY I have to cut carbs. Unless I do, the body is always going to have a checkbook or CC to use for expenses. When the checking account is empty, it has to go to the Long Term Savings account.

CUT CARBS in HALF and see what happens.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Maybe wear a pedometer at work to really see how much you are walking to readjust your calorie intake, and try a completely new exercise that sollicits different muscles (i.e. go jogging or swimming if you've been biking, etc..).
    And look back at how far you've come, instead of falling back into your old habits.
    I had lost 20 lbs last year, have regained 6, but am now on board again to get rid of the last 30! Don't give up! we can do it!

She does, she walks almost 5 miles daily. She need to eat more.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    blood work is fine. Doctors say I am fine, just had a full physical, work makes us do that. No medications beyond the occasional Alieve or Tylenol.

just recently added back grains. to "shock the body" as I see here in the forums all the time.

I eat ZERO candy, cakes, cookies, chips, ice cream. diary is open, you can see that.

I DO wear a pedometer at work today before lunch I logged 3.7 miles walking.

Most all of my foods with the exception of meat are eaten either raw or boiled with ZERO cooking oils, when those are used they are calculated by a FOOD SCALE and Measuring spoon.

I have tried following along with the roapmap thread. It is hellishly more confusing than any tech manual I use on a daily basis.

I was eating at 1200 calories a day. Co-Workers said I was a raving B. while following that.

From what I can see there is no consensus or way to go about this.

Poke hope and pray. and/or develop some sort of eating disorder by going even lower than I was July through October, Or the Inverse of that is to Gorge myself until I puke. Because seriously I don't know what to do or listen to anymore.

If this is maintenance and where my body wants to be despit where I want to be, I guess so be it. Thanks for the confusion and well meaning advice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hey,

I gained 4 lbs in one week keeping calories at the MFP recommended 1270 per day. Was completely fed up and discouraged.
    Took a look at the Nutritional COMPOSITION of the low cal foods I was eating.

Found to my surprise that I was eating WAAAYYYY too many carbs.

I cut my Carb intake in half and am now, a week later about 1.4 lbs lighter.

It is possible that with all the exercise and calorie cutting you are still using your check book of easily available fat stores instead of your fixed deposits in order to pay for the energy you use to keep alive and do your daily work.

I suggest you stop throwing more money into the check book and DEPRIVE the body of enough 'ready cash" so that it is FORCED to go into the Fixed Deposit Savings Account for any spending it has to do.!

That is how I explain it to myself WHY I have to cut carbs. Unless I do, the body is always going to have a checkbook or CC to use for expenses. When the checking account is empty, it has to go to the Long Term Savings account.

CUT CARBS in HALF and see what happens.

Cutting carbs will just alter your gylcogen stored.. aka less water weight. And ultimately, fat loss is what people want because that is long term success. Even if you eat high carbs on 1200 calories, it's not a enough food for an active person, which she is. And many people fail because of hormones that prevent weight loss due to under eating.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Looks like your calorie goal is 1441 a day? That's low especially if you're not eating back your exercise calories. I think you need to recalculate. Someone with your activity level should probably be hitting about 1800 if you're going to eat back your exercise calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I ran the numbers for you. Start at 1800 calories alter the macro's and give it a month.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi that was me a month ago I stayed the same and it was annoying. I took some advice from my MFP friends and changed things up a bit, didnt go off too off track, just changed some of my meals and that worked for me. Hope you find the solution :bigsmile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I have not lost weight or inches since Halloween.

I added countable gym time this week.

My job is in maintenance, specifically wastewater treatment. Very active job, lots of walking involved.

I am 37, female. Weight is 175. Height 5'6 3/4". Waist 32, hips 42.

Upped my calories nearly a month ago in accordance with the roadmap thing. No weightloss.
    Diary open. Advise. Also. Had one bad day foodwise about a week ago. That was the day I nearly gave up.
    Continue. Some plateaus take a couple of months to break.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • paddythegeek
    Options
    I think that's a good suggestion re: the carbs. I try to keep them low and eat beans/legumes instead when possible.

One thing I did during my earlier period of intensive weight loss (80 lbs) was to follow a regimen of 5 days/week of weight loss and 2 days at maintenance. I would also include a blowout day every "whenever" (usually around once a month for me) when I would eat whatever I wanted without tracking, and as much as I wanted.

I've read from many sources the glycemic spike helps prevent the body from dropping into a "maintenance' mode. It was hard to trust that I wasn't undoing all my hard work by having a "blowout" day, but once I learned to, they were really positive. In reality the blowouts were never very extreme, but they allowed me to have fun, satisfy some cravings, etc. Judicious use of this technique worked well for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have not lost weight or inches since Halloween.

I added countable gym time this week.

My job is in maintenance, specifically wastewater treatment. Very active job, lots of walking involved.

I am 37, female. Weight is 175. Height 5'6 3/4". Waist 32, hips 42.

Upped my calories nearly a month ago in accordance with the roadmap thing. No weightloss.
    Diary open. Advise. Also. Had one bad day foodwise about a week ago. That was the day I nearly gave up.

You claim to have upped your calories, but I kept seeing you eat less than 1200 over and over and over. You are not eating enough.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I ran the numbers for you. Start at 1800 calories alter the macro's and give it a month.

^^^ OP, please take this advice. :flowerforyou:

Eat plenty of nutritious food, and your body will thank you for it.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    blood work is fine. Doctors say I am fine, just had a full physical, work makes us do that. No medications beyond the occasional Alieve or Tylenol.

just recently added back grains. to "shock the body" as I see here in the forums all the time.

I eat ZERO candy, cakes, cookies, chips, ice cream. diary is open, you can see that.

Most all of my foods with the exception of meat are eaten either raw or boiled with ZERO cooking oils, when those are used they are calculated by a FOOD SCALE and Measuring spoon.

I have tried following along with the roapmap thread. It is hellishly more confusing than any tech manual I use on a daily basis.

I was eating at 1200 calories a day. Co-Workers said I was a raving B. while following that.

Poke hope and pray. and/or develop some sort of eating disorder by going even lower than I was July through October, Or the Inverse of that is to Gorge myself until I puke. Because seriously I don't know what to do or listen to anymore.

If this is maintenance and where my body wants to be despit where I want to be, I guess so be it. Thanks for the confusion and well meaning advice.

You seem a little irritated by the advice given to the question you posed. Reading through the posts, the majority - by far - are telling you what you are not eating enough and should increase your calories. People have even spent time doing calculation for you. If you are so upset and frustrated about it, surely it is worth considering the majority opinion. The worst that may happen is that you will put a couple of pounds on if it is wrong. Doing nothing will only leave you where you are now. Posters are trying to help you.

ETA - spelling !!!! duh :smile:
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If you found the Road Map difficult to work through, try the spreadsheet as it does all the work for you once you put your measurements in.

Link to spreadsheet is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

If nothing else, check your numbers and see for yourself what your BMR and TDEE are
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am frustrated and irratated. My mother in law's feelings have been hurt tremendously while I have been in this quest to lose weight. While most won't think much of that. Bear this in mind, she is Dying of cancer. 2 or 3 months left at most. She had a good day and made me an Italian Cream Cake. Took her 4 hours because she is so sick. I turned it down.

I have extremely limited time between work (12 hours start to finish) usually 6 days a week. My day off is spent taking care of my mother in law, visiting my hospitalized daughter. Visitation with her was sacrificed for that damn gym time.

My daughter is long term hospitalized. I have so much in terms of time to work with, and there have been days I have been to tired to eat. Ever started your day at 330 am and ended it routinely at 1100 pm? That's how you get to tired to eat.

Thank you for the advice. But I have no desire to gain ANY of the hard fought lost weight back. I will keep praying, poking, hoping.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yes, I am frustrated and irratated. My mother in law's feelings have been hurt tremendously while I have been in this quest to lose weight. While most won't think much of that. Bear this in mind, she is Dying of cancer. 2 or 3 months left at most. She had a good day and made me an Italian Cream Cake. Took her 4 hours because she is so sick. I turned it down.

I have extremely limited time between work (12 hours start to finish) usually 6 days a week. My day off is spent taking care of my mother in law, visiting my hospitalized daughter. Visitation with her was sacrificed for that damn gym time.

My daughter is long term hospitalized. I have so much in terms of time to work with, and there have been days I have been to tired to eat. Ever started your day at 330 am and ended it routinely at 1100 pm? That's how you get to tired to eat.

Thank you for the advice. But I have no desire to gain ANY of the hard fought lost weight back. I will keep praying, poking, hoping.

Look I understand your frustration as my wife has a heart condition and spend the last two years in and out of hospitals. But in the grand scheme of things, we are only suggesting you try higher calorie for one month. And if you make those calories higher in protein and fats, then it will become easy. But what is the worst thing that can happen if you increase calories for 4 weeks? You gain maybe a few lbs? And what is the best case? You finally realize that you don't need to starve yourself...

The way I look at it, you can try it and see if there are results, or continue what you are doing and possibly continue you fail. You ever hear of the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I hope the best for you, but if you don't want the help, it's not worth trying to help.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options

You seem a little irritated by the advice given to the question you posed. Reading through the posts, the majority - by far - are telling you what you are not eating enough and should increase your calories. People have even spent time doing calculation for you. If you are so upset and frustrated about it, surely it is worth considering the majority opinion. The worst that may happen is that you will put a couple of pounds on if it is wrong. Doing nothing will only leave you where you are now. Posters are trying to help you.

I second that. You seem frustrated by everyone who's taken the time to view your diary and try to help you out. It's not our fault (or yours). I have a list of things wrong with me as well as personal issues (as we all do) and I don't take it out on anybody. Good luck.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options

I second that. You seem frustrated by everyone who's taken the time to view your diary and try to help you out. It's not our fault (or yours). I have a list of things wrong with me as well as personal issues (as we all do) and I don't take it out on anybody. Good luck.

And to add, stress is a killer for women in regards to weight.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i think you've probably reached a plateau so you need to change up your diet a bit, you can either do more exercise or you can actually take a week off exercise, also you can change your diet so for example monday, tuesday you eat 1200 calories, then wednesday, thursday you eat 1500, and so on, i've been doing that and actually losing more weight than before, i've also heard that you can just carry on dieting the way you are to get out of a plateau but it'll take a long time or something